RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Engine Oil Change Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-16, 10:23 AM
dyuanda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Oil Change Issue

Hi Folks,

Was new in the this forum because I am facing some mild issue on my RX 330 year 2004.

Recently, I just had engine oil change at 80,000 km interval. The previous owner chose Mobil S 10w-40 although the manual clearly indicated that 5w-30 is preferable. Thus, I opted for Amsoil SSO 5w-30 which I read was having rave reviews from people in this forum.

However, afther I had my engine oil changed, I felt something was not right with my engine noise. It felt not too smooth when idle and also I did feel the engine would jerk mildly a bit when idle. Do you have any idea why is this happening?

FYI, I just had spark plugs and everything changed months ago before this oil change and everything was fine and engine was smooth and pretty much noise-less. Should I change back to 10w-40 specs? Would be distraught to throw away Amsoil after only hundreds of kms, but if it indeed would be normal again, guess I have to do it.

Your input would be very appreciated.
Old 07-13-16, 04:55 PM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I will assume you changed the filter, and added 5 qts.

The first thing I would check is did you add the correct amount of engine oil. over fill and under fill can cause serious issues. From personal experience, that small difference in oil weight should not cause any engine issues. It's fine to use a higher oil weight, esp if you run the engine hard. Maybe that's what the previous owner kept on hand, or does the engine burn any oil? another reason to use a higher weight oil.
Old 07-13-16, 09:58 PM
dyuanda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by numbafree
I will assume you changed the filter, and added 5 qts.

The first thing I would check is did you add the correct amount of engine oil. over fill and under fill can cause serious issues. From personal experience, that small difference in oil weight should not cause any engine issues. It's fine to use a higher oil weight, esp if you run the engine hard. Maybe that's what the previous owner kept on hand, or does the engine burn any oil? another reason to use a higher weight oil.
Yes, changed the filter and added 4.8qts actually. Follow the instruction closely and the mechanic's recommendation.

How do I know if an engine burns the oil? I didnt know the previous owner ran the engine hard, but my trusted car workshop said the engine is in mint condition and they even did change on the full engine mounting months before I had oil changed.
Old 07-14-16, 12:46 AM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In my post, I gave you a few reasons why the previous MAY have used 10-40.

1) he had some to use up in his garage
2) ran the engine at high rpms, so he wanted a higher oil weight so it would shear less.
3) engine might be burning oil, so a high weight would minimize the oil burning, but the issue (oil burning) would still be present.

Do I know why the previous used 10-40 engine oil? of course not. These are simply some possibilities, that you may not have thought of. Nothing wrong with using 10-40, it would not HURT an engine rated for 5-30.

how can you tell if an engine is burning oil? after driving it 50 or 100 miles, check the engine oil level. If the level is lower than when you first filled the oil, you probably burning oil, after you rule out the possibility of a leak.

If you want use to help you figure out what is the cause of this engine noise, we need more information, like, what does this engine noise sound like? When did it start? One minute after you changed the oil, or after you did something else?

You typed, " I felt something was not right with engine noise."

did you feel a vibration? Or you heard something different at idle? or were you revving it in neutral and you heard a different sound?

The easiest way is to take a video, while your engine is running, upload it to youtube, and post the link here.