RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Help with purchasing an RX please

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-16, 10:54 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with purchasing an RX please

Hi guys, need some help please.

I am helping my parents pick out an RX. They need something that is reliable and comfortable. The budget is $15k out the door including taxes.
I was looking at a GX for them but they would have to get something much older line an 04 to fit the budget. Is the RX just as reliable? They would need it for 6-7 more years for a daily driver driving about 15K/year.

What is the best (most reliable) year to get? I was reading up on the oil line failure of the 07+ RX350 engine. Would it be best to get an 06 then? I am thinking it's best go get a non-NAV non-ML car and then get a Navi that has apple car play with a back-up camera and bluetooth phone operation and streaming? That way they are not stuck with repairing the ML system, or end up having to leave the navi since the climate controls are tied to it.

Also I saw a 2007 RX350 with 116,000 miles on it, all maintenance done at Lexus dealer up to 60K I think, then just oil changes?
It does have the following package that I am not familiar with: Towing Prep Package (Heavy Duty Alternator, Heavy-Duty Radiator, and Transmission Cooler)

I'm not sure about the heavy duty alternator, transmission cooler... are these potential more parts that can break? does this mean the vehicle was used to tow heavy stop and therefore stress it out and not a good long term car?

Thanks again for your advice and suggestions!
Old 10-27-16, 05:48 AM
TheGoodGuy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by maxse
Hi guys, need some help please.

I am helping my parents pick out an RX. They need something that is reliable and comfortable. The budget is $15k out the door including taxes.
I was looking at a GX for them but they would have to get something much older line an 04 to fit the budget. Is the RX just as reliable? They would need it for 6-7 more years for a daily driver driving about 15K/year.

What is the best (most reliable) year to get? I was reading up on the oil line failure of the 07+ RX350 engine. Would it be best to get an 06 then? I am thinking it's best go get a non-NAV non-ML car and then get a Navi that has apple car play with a back-up camera and bluetooth phone operation and streaming? That way they are not stuck with repairing the ML system, or end up having to leave the navi since the climate controls are tied to it.

Also I saw a 2007 RX350 with 116,000 miles on it, all maintenance done at Lexus dealer up to 60K I think, then just oil changes?
It does have the following package that I am not familiar with: Towing Prep Package (Heavy Duty Alternator, Heavy-Duty Radiator, and Transmission Cooler)

I'm not sure about the heavy duty alternator, transmission cooler... are these potential more parts that can break? does this mean the vehicle was used to tow heavy stop and therefore stress it out and not a good long term car?

Thanks again for your advice and suggestions!
Nipa above me is just a spam bot, ignore him. He'll get banned in a minute.

The tow prep package is just extra UMPH so if you do any towing it won't over-heat the motor and trans. those parts rarely have issues.

As for the nav system, you can add a 200.00 part from Amazon that will add the bluetooth and it looks integrated so you get the best of both worlds. I've yet to install it (it's $200, remember?) but it's supposed to be fancy schmancy and work great. I'd go with an '04-06 model if it were me. In fact, that's what I did. I drive an 05

And bonus - for $15k you can pick one with 100k miles or so and still have enough left over to have it checked out and get the 90k mile service + water pump. That'll take you to another 100k miles!
Old 10-27-16, 06:43 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Any of those would be good, The RX is a great machine. You should be able to find one for under 15k with around 100k miles. If it is 2007 or older make sure the timing belt was done. I personally would also prefer the Japanese made one. I believe the vin starts with a J Spark plugs are due at 125k miles...Other than that get all fluids serviced, check the brakes, and you should be good to go.
Old 10-27-16, 07:10 AM
Caprica
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to find a non-hybrid that was made in Japan methinks. I believe most were made in Canada.
Old 10-27-16, 07:17 AM
TheGoodGuy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Caprica
Hard to find a non-hybrid that was made in Japan methinks. I believe most were made in Canada.

There's a non-hybrid right down the street from me (05) made in Japan, and I just picked one up that was the same. Maybe that's only true for 04-06? 07 seems to be when hybrids went crazy.
Old 10-27-16, 07:51 AM
Caprica
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom has an 04 330 that was made in Canada. Our 07 was of course made in Japan..It does seem like most of them were built in Canada though.