RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2005 RX330 Aftermarket Stereo Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-16, 05:48 PM
Oldsports
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2005 RX330 Aftermarket Stereo Installation

Hello,

I recently installed an aftermarket stereo in my 2005 RX330 (no navigation, no Mark Levinson). I left the OEM amp and speakers in place, using the Metra Axxess interfaces to connect to the OEM amp and steering wheel controls. I also installed a rear camera using a wireless transmitter/receiver combination instead of running a video cable from the rear hatch. There were a number of posts with pieces of information on how to perform this install but nothing comprehensive. I documented my experience in hopes it will help someone. The document includes pictures and detailed instructions.

Aftermarket Radio Replacement v3.pdf

Last edited by Oldsports; 03-23-17 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Updated attachment
The following 9 users liked this post by Oldsports:
amradio (11-22-23), bgreet (03-22-17), DavidWebb (09-16-18), drinkJava (10-16-17), exaktoh (03-24-17), hspowel1 (02-02-24), MARTINMKHS (10-27-19), spacecraft (01-28-24), StanMotion (08-16-20) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-26-16, 06:26 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Great writeup! Thanks a bunch. This will come in handy when the time comes for me to do this.
Old 11-26-16, 09:46 AM
Lexterious
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Oldsports. I foresee a job like this in the future as our kids have recently started driving our RX330. Your doc helps tremendously.
Old 12-23-16, 08:21 AM
daSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome write up! Thanks for this. How are you liking your new stereo so far?
Old 12-23-16, 02:34 PM
Oldsports
Driver

I am still pleased with my installation. As I said in my write-up, my main objective was to get some modern features:
  • The Bluetooth works great. Not only do I use it for hands-free calling, I figured out that I can stream music with it as well.
  • The GPS works even better than when the unit was installed in my LS430. In the LS430, every now and then I would lose the satellite signals and the GPS would stop working until they returned. In the RX330 the satellite signals are always very strong and I have never lost them.
  • The USB connections work very well. When I plug an iPod/iPhone into it I can control the music using the unit's touch screen. I can also plug in a USB device with music on it.
  • The back-up camera works - it is very clear during the day but it is not as clear at night. I bought a fairly cheap camera so I guess I got what I paid for! I am not too worried about it because I do not use it as much as I thought I would. I think a set of proximity sensors would be more useful but I don't plan to take on that task.
The only issue I have is that the radio reception is not very good in some parts of the city. I found out that the RX330 has a "diversity antenna"; this means that there is actually two antennas on the vehicle. The OEM radio connects to both antennas and it has the ability to use the strongest signal for radio reception. If you have already read my write-up, you might recall the section where I discussed the two antenna connections I found. At the time I did not know that they were both radio antennas so I connected the aftermarket radio to just one of them. I recently purchased a Y-cable adapter so I can combine the two antenna connections into one and connect them to my head unit. Once I install it I will update my write-up with the results.
The following users liked this post:
StanMotion (08-16-20)
Old 01-15-17, 06:40 PM
Oldsports
Driver

I said that I would report back once I installed the Y-cable on the 2 diversity antennas to see if my reception improved and it has. In addition to the Y-cable, I had to purchase an adapter for the smaller antenna connection so that it would fit into the Y-cable.

I updated my attachment as there were a few things that I learned/implemented since the original post:
  • I updated the paragraph about the radio antenna. I also added the Y-cable and adapter to the parts list in the beginning of the document and I included a picture of them.
  • I changed how the rear camera wireless receiver was connected. In the original installation, I connected the receiver's power and ground to the same harness group as the TYTO-01 and steering wheel controls. However, I decided that I would power it from inside the car - it seemed cleaner that way.
  • I ended up soldering the radio wires to the TYTO-01. In the original installation, I used crimp connectors on the wires. This seemed to work fine initially, but after a while I started getting intermittent sound from some of the speakers. Several radio installation articles I read strongly suggested soldering the wires for improved audio quality but I was not as concerned about that. However, the crimp connectors were not making reliable contact so I cut them out, soldered the wires and put shrink wrap on them. I purchased a small butane shrink wrap torch and shrink wrap sleeves for about $20 at Home Depot. I am now a believer - solder your radio connections!!! I left the splices and spade connections in place in other areas of the installation as they appeared to be solid; it was just the crimp connectors on the radio wires that were faulty.
I am still pleased with my installation. The only quirk still left is that the rear camera video occasionally distorts or goes blank. I thought that it might be the power connections on the wireless receiver and/or transmitter; this is one of the reasons I changed the way I connected the receiver. I am fairly sure that I have now ruled out the power connections so I think it is an equipment issue (camera, wireless interface or head unit). It's not bad enough for me to spend more time on it so I will probably live with it .

Last edited by Oldsports; 01-15-17 at 06:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
StanMotion (08-16-20)
Old 03-22-17, 02:03 PM
bgreet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, thanks a ton for the pdf, it has been really helpful. I have a 2008 RX 350 and have a couple of questions. You mention using the 12pin for the ASWC-1 connections but in the ASWC directions it talks about using the 20 pin for connections. Is it a typo, or did you definitely use the 12 pin? I can't seem to get mine to work or even power up. Also, I'm wondering if the cable colors are a little different for my car in regards to the reverse light. I think I'm going to have to get a circuit tester to figure out where exactly my reverse light is. Thanks again!
Old 03-22-17, 07:30 PM
Oldsports
Driver

Bgreet,

Thanks for catching my mistake. The connector from the OEM unit that contains the steering wheel controls has 20 pins, not 12 pins. I confused it with the 12-pin harness on the ASWC-1.

You mentioned that you cannot get your unit to power up. I assume that you have connected the ASWC-1's power wire to the car's accessory power and you have attached the ASWC-1's ground wire to a ground source. I tapped into my radio's accessory power wire to power the ASWC-1. The Metra instructions recommended attaching the ASWC-1's ground wire to the car chassis (which is what I did) instead of the radio ground. I assume that this was to ensure that the unit did not cause any interference with the radio. Even if you attached it to the radio ground, I would expect it to still power up OK. If you continue to have trouble, I suggest that you send Metra's technical service department an e-mail. When I was having trouble with their TYTO-1 radio interface unit I sent them an e-mail and they responded to me very quickly (within a day).

Unfortunately, I cannot help with finding your reverse wire since your model (2008 RX350) is different from mine. You may have to find it using a meter as you said.

Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Oldsports:
bgreet (03-22-17), StanMotion (08-16-20)
Old 03-22-17, 08:23 PM
bgreet
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the quick reply! Yea, I'm not sure what is wrong (new radio works perfectly fine). Metra has a harness that they sell on amazon for $10 that allows for directly connecting the ASWC in... we'll see. Also, just an FYI I had the same issues with having to resize the metra dash replacement to get my double din. Thanks again for all the incredible help! Would definitely not have taken on this project had I not discovered it
Old 03-23-17, 04:07 AM
Oldsports
Driver

Bgreet,

I just updated my PDF to correct the mistake on the 20-pin connector. Thanks again for pointing that out.

I wish I had known about the ASWC-1 adapter harness when I installed my unit. I assume that would have saved me from having to tap into the wires on the 20-pin connector. I am interested in how it works if you decide to use it.

Thanks!

Last edited by Oldsports; 03-24-17 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-24-17, 11:53 AM
exaktoh
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for sharing this process!
Old 03-26-17, 07:29 PM
bgreet
Driver School Candidate

After putting it in today, the harness is well worth the investment in my opinion. Everything powers up now and goes through the standard LED cycling, ultimately going solid red on the ASWC. Unfortunately, still can't get the actual controls to work.... wondering if it's an issue with the ASWC choosing the wrong head unit type (I'm using a BOSS). I'll play around more with it this week
Old 07-06-17, 08:48 AM
RickyTerzi
Driver School Candidate

Hi...thanks for sharing this useful information with us. Sure it is gonna to be very helpful for all. I want to know using the 12pin for the ASWC-1 connections but in the ASWC directions it talks about using the 20 pin for connections. Is it a typo, or did you definitely use the 12 pin?
Old 07-06-17, 07:04 PM
Oldsports
Driver

Hi RickyTerzi,

Yes, the correct harness has 20 pins, not 12 pins. I made this mistake in my original write up and updated it. Unfortunately, it looks like I did not correct all of the references to the 12-pin harness. I will make the corrections - again! Thanks for pointing this out.
Old 07-07-17, 01:44 PM
jusmatt90
Driver School Candidate

What would it take to change door speakers? Is it possible without replacing factory amp?

Quick Reply: 2005 RX330 Aftermarket Stereo Installation