RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Suspect transmission noise when early morning start up

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-17 | 06:04 AM
lexuscb
Driver School Candidate

Default Suspect transmission noise when early morning start up

Hi everyone,

i am a new member in the forum. I have an inquiry which you may help to advise.

when I start my RX 330 model 2004, in the morning it make some noise which suspect it is from the transmission. Another symptom is it is hard put the transmission from P to D. However after a short drive when it becomes hot, the sound disappear and the shifting gear become smooth not so hard to put from P to any for example D.

in this case, I believe to be some of the filter block problem on my own view. Need your advise whether it is right or any other matter I should look into?

thank.
Old 02-21-17 | 05:34 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Welcome.

When was the fluid changed last? If never, or you're not sure, do a drain and fill with a high quality fluid, synthetic would be best. Make sure it meets Toyota specifications - T-IV.

I've noticed a decent improvement with mine after one drain and fill with Valvoline Maxlife fluid. I'm planning to do at least two more over the next few weeks. I think mine was on the original fluid with 134,000 miles on it (over 215,000 km).
The following users liked this post:
lexuscb (02-24-17)
Old 02-21-17 | 02:28 PM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

After that ^, you can try to plug in a OBD2 scanner and see if a transmission code comes up.
lexuscb (02-24-17)
Old 02-21-17 | 11:51 PM
lexuscb
Driver School Candidate

Default Hi, I am not sure on when but when I visual check the color of the oil it seems ok.

Originally Posted by RedGemini
Welcome.

When was the fluid changed last? If never, or you're not sure, do a drain and fill with a high quality fluid, synthetic would be best. Make sure it meets Toyota specifications - T-IV.

I've noticed a decent improvement with mine after one drain and fill with Valvoline Maxlife fluid. I'm planning to do at least two more over the next few weeks. I think mine was on the original fluid with 134,000 miles on it (over 215,000 km).
hi,

thank for advise. I am not sure when the oil was changed since I just bought from the previous owner. I did the visual inspection and the oil color seems ok. However I will do the oil change. I am now waiting the filter to come since I intent to change with filter also. In Cambodia, most of the mechanic say never need to change the filter for ATF. When I follow the expert view on YouTube mostly it is recommended. So filter is not available at most dealer so i did order on eBay from a shop in Australia. Lead time is around 4 weeks. On your view if I delay the oil change to another 4 weeks, any suspectioal risk/problem?
Old 02-21-17 | 11:52 PM
lexuscb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ling2IS
After that ^, you can try to plug in a OBD2 scanner and see if a transmission code comes up.
will try for that. Appreciate.
Old 02-22-17 | 03:57 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexuscb
hi,

thank for advise. I am not sure when the oil was changed since I just bought from the previous owner. I did the visual inspection and the oil color seems ok. However I will do the oil change. I am now waiting the filter to come since I intent to change with filter also. In Cambodia, most of the mechanic say never need to change the filter for ATF. When I follow the expert view on YouTube mostly it is recommended. So filter is not available at most dealer so i did order on eBay from a shop in Australia. Lead time is around 4 weeks. On your view if I delay the oil change to another 4 weeks, any suspectioal risk/problem?
The filter should be fine for another 4 weeks. In the meantime, I would do a drain and fill of the transmission fluid. It should take about 4 liters (4 quarts in the US) of T-IV compatible transmission fluid. You'll need a 10mm Allen wrench to remove the drain plug. Make sure it is pushed in firmly. If it hasn't been removed in a long time, it will be very tight, and you might start to strip it. That almost happened to me.
lexuscb (02-24-17)
Old 02-22-17 | 04:52 AM
lexuscb
Driver School Candidate

The filter should be fine for another 4 weeks. In the meantime, I would do a drain and fill of the transmission fluid. It should take about 4 liters (4 quarts in the US) of T-IV compatible transmission fluid. You'll need a 10mm Allen wrench to remove the drain plug. Make sure it is pushed in firmly. If it hasn't been removed in a long time, it will be very tight, and you might start to strip it. That almost happened to me.
Oh ok. I will note on that. Thank.
Old 02-22-17 | 07:11 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

You're not kidding, did a drain and fill on my rx350 tonight and I'd guess the plug was 80,90ft/lbs of torque. I have the 10mm hex socket though, which I recommend as you can get a good interface with the nut and good torque on the ratchet. Measured mine at 3.7qts out in an old oil jug, just like the book says, then I put that back in. WS for 350's.
lexuscb (02-24-17)