RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Damaged Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-17, 10:08 AM
5H2DA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged Transmission

I have an RX330 2004 model year with 175K miles. We use this as a tow vehicle behind our motor home with a Remco transmission lube kit. This has performed flawlessly while towing 4-down ... until yesterday. I neglected to power the aftermarket lube pump and didn't notice my oversight until a walk around check followingb a 250 mile drive. Obvouisly, the transmission is toast as I see small metal flakes on the dipstick. There was little evidence of fluid leak until I started the engine and the Lexus tranny fluid pump started spewing fluid from somewhere.

My question: what breaks inside the transmission when towing 4-down with no fluid circulation? Is this a soft rebuild or full? I've read posts on this forum about rebuild vs new, and advice directing readers away from the big chain rebuilders and towards the shops that do their own rebuilds. Other advice?

I really don't want to replace the vehicle... I'll risk putting $2-3K into a quality rebuild. As the after market (Remco) lube pump will violate and rebuild warranty, I may drive the car for 500-1000 miles before connecting to the RV, just to identify any infant mortality part or installation/rebuild issues.

what type of tranny fluid should the install in the rebuild?

thanks!
Old 04-04-17, 03:33 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 5H2DA
I have an RX330 2004 model year with 175K miles. We use this as a tow vehicle behind our motor home with a Remco transmission lube kit. This has performed flawlessly while towing 4-down ... until yesterday. I neglected to power the aftermarket lube pump and didn't notice my oversight until a walk around check followingb a 250 mile drive. Obvouisly, the transmission is toast as I see small metal flakes on the dipstick. There was little evidence of fluid leak until I started the engine and the Lexus tranny fluid pump started spewing fluid from somewhere.

My question: what breaks inside the transmission when towing 4-down with no fluid circulation? Is this a soft rebuild or full? I've read posts on this forum about rebuild vs new, and advice directing readers away from the big chain rebuilders and towards the shops that do their own rebuilds. Other advice?

I really don't want to replace the vehicle... I'll risk putting $2-3K into a quality rebuild. As the after market (Remco) lube pump will violate and rebuild warranty, I may drive the car for 500-1000 miles before connecting to the RV, just to identify any infant mortality part or installation/rebuild issues.

what type of tranny fluid should the install in the rebuild?

thanks!
Sorry to hear this happened....
Perhaps it would be a better idea to find another vehicle solely for that purpose, personally I find the RX330 to be extremely sensitive, if Lexus rules are not followed or something neglected, issues occur sooner or later, some small, some huge. Apparently Jeeps are better & most likely more forgiving for that purpose. The Lexus recommendation for Transmission Fluid is Toyota ATF Type T-IV, according to the manual....
Attached Thumbnails Damaged Transmission-capture.jpg  

Last edited by 05RX330AWD; 04-04-17 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-04-17, 07:42 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I can't say for a Lex/Toy trans, but in general, transmissions aren't like engines. They are not mechanical, they are hydraulic and if something goes wrong, often the damage is going to require a full rebuild anyway. Say if a band fails, it still takes a full teardown to get to it. And even if the band is replaced, there is likely enough debris off the band that it hurt the clutches or something else.

So not to be a nay sayer on trans getting fixed, but they aren't simple like an alternator going bad or a burned valve, etc. I did some significant work on a 4L60E diagnosing, just because I wanted to learn. Ultimately it was a failed 1-2 band, keeping the trans in 1st only, but yet the trans THOUGHT it had shifted. The reason for the failed band (this was a 92k trans!) was a poor quality aluminum accumulator that had wore itself into the bore and the steel shaft it was guided on, then it got stuck and broke and exhausted the fluid that was going the 1-2 band and dumped into the pan, preventing proper apply of the 1-2 band, making it wear excessively in a very short time, which (my theory here) lead the people who had the car stranded in Indianapolis and they tried to drive the car to Chicago in first gear. They promptly destroyed the rod bearings on the LT1 engine and and spun #6, and nearly welded the bearing to the crankshaft....

My friend at Lexus dealer says they have no information on transmissions, they only do R&R replace of the transmissions, allowing the Lexus experts handle rebuilds. It IS more expensive for the customers, but they don't come back with a failed repair.
Old 11-16-17, 05:22 AM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 5H2DA
I'm curious, where can you get an RX330 trans rebuilt for $2-3k?
Old 11-16-17, 01:07 PM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Curious as well. When I had my mishap with front axleshafts and they originally said the tranny was toast, they only could install a used one. They said that no one rebuilds the tranny and my only option was to select a used tranny (price varied depending on miles on it). No way to rebuild. Mine was the RX400h, so don't know the differences, if any to the 330/350.

Fortunately, they were able to flush out the unit and it's been running ever since (although I sold the vehicle about 8 months ago).
Old 11-18-17, 01:43 PM
edwardh11
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

does lexus have their own engineers or are lexus xmissions same as toyota?

Last edited by edwardh11; 11-18-17 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-10-18, 12:44 PM
sunilnat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2001 RX 300 and transmission failed around 190,000 km. Bought a new one 2007 RX 350 and transmission has failed again at 250,000 km. Currently in repair to rebuild the transmission. Cost $2,950 with external cooler .