RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How to DIY program a spare key

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-17, 12:46 PM
Njdarrow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to DIY program a spare key

Hey All,

I have a 2009 Lexus RX 350 bought used a few months back. It only came with one key. Unfortunately, the dealership was unable to make contact with the previous owner in attempt to see if they had the second key.

I've called dealerships and have been quoted anywhere between $300-$400 for an additional key.

Can anyone tell me whether I can do this myself, and what it might take to get the job done.

Thanks - Nate
Old 04-25-17, 12:52 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Depends on what you want. If you simply want a key that will work without the remote you can get a valet key cheaper. It's a laser cut key though so check with some of the locksmiths in your town to see if any of them are equipped with what they need to cut that kind of key, some do but most don't. If you find one you can get the key made but may have to have the dealer program it.
Old 04-25-17, 01:42 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Yeah, these keys are outrageous. Mine only came with one transponder key too, but I did like mdbrown said and had my dealer cut me a valet key for 150$. Works everything except locking the glove box, which is fine as a spare. Some locksmiths can make these keys and I could have gone that route and probably got it cheaper, but I wanted mine programmed correctly and to my cars ecu. Works great. 150$ is expensive, but I'd hate to know what it would cost to lose my one key and have to start from scratch getting keys fitted to my car.
Old 04-25-17, 01:48 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BlackLexRX
Yeah, these keys are outrageous. Mine only came with one transponder key too, but I did like mdbrown said and had my dealer cut me a valet key for 150$. Works everything except locking the glove box, which is fine as a spare. Some locksmiths can make these keys and I could have gone that route and probably got it cheaper, but I wanted mine programmed correctly and to my cars ecu. Works great. 150$ is expensive, but I'd hate to know what it would cost to lose my one key and have to start from scratch getting keys fitted to my car.
Just so you know, the dealer should be able to pull up your key code with your VIN and cut a key that way if you don't have the key pin code anymore.
Old 04-25-17, 02:04 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

I requested my key code, and after some hemming and hawing they did give it to me.
Old 04-25-17, 04:52 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 168 Posts

Did this myself recently for my RX330. Purchased 3 4D chipped keys for $18 plus $60 to cut them and programmed them at home.

You can program it yourself if you have the tools, requires toyota's techstream. Programmed 3 keys myself but your dealer can do it probably for the cost of 1hr of labor (even though it takes 15 minutes, that's what they quoted me).

Hardest part is the cut itself, it's a "laser cut" or high security cut which only the dealer or speciality lock smiths can do. My recommendation is to purchase a pre-cut key from eBay/Amazon/etc. with the key code (you can get it from your dealer with VIN and proof of ownership). A Lexus dealer (Toyota wouldn't touch it) wanted to cut it for $50/key while a speciality shop I found did all 3 for $60. Dealer will also not warranty the cut if it's not an OEM key sold by them. If I knew better I would have had it precut then hunting down multiple locksmiths and dealers.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lexuswiz:
BlackLexRX (04-25-17), Njdarrow (04-27-17)
Old 04-25-17, 05:11 PM
edwardh11
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

these funky keys are one of the things wrong with modern cars, bet the key expenses exceed auto theft losses of older keys.
Old 04-25-17, 06:27 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

I've really got to get Techstream. If nothing else I'd love to look at some of the data in there like coolant temps, etc. I've got lots of tools, but they're all analog, lol.
Old 04-25-17, 09:42 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

I've really got to get Techstream. If nothing else I'd love to look at some of the data in there like coolant temps, etc. I've got lots of tools, but they're all analog, lol.
Techstream the software package? Any idea how much that costs? The cable seems cheap enough. I currently have an Alldata subscription. I thought about techstream but $400 a year is a bit steep for what is basically the same information on Alldata which charges $30 a year albeit for a single model.

Last edited by mdbrown; 04-25-17 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-26-17, 05:29 AM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

I saw a 5000 day subscription on eBay for 30$. Who knows how legit that is.
Old 04-26-17, 06:05 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

With the Alldata subscription I don't really need the techstream online sub. What I'm looking to find is the techstream software for diagnosis, programming and such. That's typically very expensive.
Old 04-26-17, 08:24 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by mdbrown
Techstream the software package? Any idea how much that costs? The cable seems cheap enough. I currently have an Alldata subscription. I thought about techstream but $400 a year is a bit steep for what is basically the same information on Alldata which charges $30 a year albeit for a single model.
The software package is actually $3000 (comes with laptop and modules) alongside the timed subscription to TIS. My old mechanic went this route as he specialized in Toyota/Lexus. Those cheap cables you see floating around the webs are clones of the real mongoose OBD2 USB cable. I went this route to try it, it came with a bogus version of Techstream but did work although not fully functional or stable.

I don't believe it either.
Old 04-27-17, 07:05 AM
Njdarrow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
Did this myself recently for my RX330. Purchased 3 4D chipped keys for $18 plus $60 to cut them and programmed them at home.

You can program it yourself if you have the tools, requires toyota's techstream. Programmed 3 keys myself but your dealer can do it probably for the cost of 1hr of labor (even though it takes 15 minutes, that's what they quoted me).

Hardest part is the cut itself, it's a "laser cut" or high security cut which only the dealer or speciality lock smiths can do. My recommendation is to purchase a pre-cut key from eBay/Amazon/etc. with the key code (you can get it from your dealer with VIN and proof of ownership). A Lexus dealer (Toyota wouldn't touch it) wanted to cut it for $50/key while a speciality shop I found did all 3 for $60. Dealer will also not warranty the cut if it's not an OEM key sold by them. If I knew better I would have had it precut then hunting down multiple locksmiths and dealers.
Thank you all for the advice. Can you provide a link or details for where you purchased the keys? And, with techstream, did you need to know the key pin code, or any other information that I might not already have given I only have one key?
Old 04-27-17, 07:21 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Njdarrow
Thank you all for the advice. Can you provide a link or details for where you purchased the keys? And, with techstream, did you need to know the key pin code, or any other information that I might not already have given I only have one key?
If you cannot find the key pin in your glovebox leather folder than your Lexus dealer should be able to provide it to you based on your VIN code.
Old 04-27-17, 07:23 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by edwardh11
these funky keys are one of the things wrong with modern cars, bet the key expenses exceed auto theft losses of older keys.
Depends on your point of view. These "funky" keys means that it is virtually impossible for someone to gain entry to my car and hotwire it. Your car would have to be awfully old and in real crappy condition not to be worth a few hundred bucks a lost key would cost you to replace.

Quick Reply: How to DIY program a spare key