RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Sporadic AC issues and codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-17, 02:34 AM
ceephis
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sporadic AC issues and codes

Dear Techs

First off thanks for a great site that has helped me go from a quirky running RX to one with very few issues.

However, one of the issues that endure is my ac system.

When I bought the car 4 days ago. the ac would start up slowly (like 10 minutes) before it got cold.
Now, however, it may or may not work at all.

Here is what I know and have tried. (read through a ton of AC posts on this site and still have not resolved it)

1. Added new r-134a to the system (pressure was pretty good before I add some, and unfortunately added a bit to much) When the compressor and fans were running it would bring the pressure down but then it would jump way back up when they stopped)
2. It held the pressure for a day or two before I released some to get it back down into the blue.
3. Both fans run and the clutch seems to engage and the middle of the compressor motor spins. this happens every so often maybe every 20-30 seconds.
4. I bought a relay switch (thinking it to be a fast and cheap first step) but was unable to find the location of the switch anywhere in the car even after taking a lot of fuse boxes apart (long and unfortunate mistake)
5. After removing the battery and resetting the system the ac usually works very well (at the start) however after restarting the car we get the no Ac air.
6. Currently she is throwing codes (21,22,24) at one time she was throwing the low-pressure code but I no longer see that one after topping the system off.
7. the mechanic who checked it out originally said that there may be some signs of leakage around the condenser. (however when the AC runs it runs well)
8. I did see (once) the blinking AC light warning.

Any thoughts all? Would love some direction and wisdom

Thanks
Old 08-21-17, 03:36 AM
ceephis
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update (we are now code free :)

I Ok all here is what I did .

After reviewing this article
https://www.justanswer.com/lexus/7tf...y-located.html
I found that there were a good many things the system checks to allow the AC to work. one of which is the Compressor Clutch speed (or something along those lines)

In reviewing this I recalled a condition my Subaru used ot have where the compressor did not engage fully due to it being rusted and dirty. (the Subaru of course really did not care as it was not as smart as my Lexus. But it still made for a lot of cycling and some noise. To repair my Subaru I cleaned the clutch with a pressure washer (and high-pressure wax ) at a car wash and then applied a liberal amount of pblaster and grease after it had dried. and Tada no more noise or problem.

Being that my lexus's AC was not working I thought what the heck ...

1. I again checked the pressure and made sure it was right in the middle of the blue (to high or to low I know will stop the system. I had it too high at the beginning of this project.)
2. I took her to a carwash and sprayed out the AC clutch with high pressure soap and wax.
3. I returned home and hit it with a whole bunch of Pblaser

After many restarts, we are still running code free and cold
I may apply some actual grease in the clutch sometime when I can get down there (to keep her running, as Pblaster is not really a lubricant in my opinion)

Hope this helps someone, and if anyone has feedback please feel free to add it

Thanks

Last edited by ceephis; 08-21-17 at 03:39 AM.