RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2006 rx400h water issues?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-17, 07:52 PM
McCoysMom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 rx400h water issues?!?

A few months ago I bought a used 2006 rx400h private sale, currently has 110k miles.

Thompson Lexus of Doylestown checked the car before purchase.

I could not agree to buy the car without first having a thorough check from the dealer.
Specifically the inverter and hybrid batterie working status were important to me.

The seller agreed to take the car to the dealer to have it checked before purchase.

the day after I purchased the car some water staining was becoming visible where the frame meets the dashboard. My boyfriend lifted the car matt and saw staples in the carpet and it appeared as if the carpet had been lifted.

My boyfriend contacted the seller and asked him about this and was told that was from a water issue from the sunroof but it had been resolved..

Now to back track a bit.. my boyfriend and I had asked about a musty smell the first day we looked at the car. It was very faint maybe smelled like stale cigars to me?? The seller told us the car had just been sitting for a while..

With further research it appears Lexus cars have had many issues with taking on water from inadequate seals and clogging sunroofs. If the water makes its way to electrical components it can be disastrous including causing hybrid battery failure. Not to mention mold growth which is expensive to remedy and a health hazard.

Since then I have saw even more water staining becoming more prevalent in humid wet weather all over the headliner, an expert car detailer has checked the car and found extensive mold. He said he knew immediately what that musty smell was.

i am pretty worried at this point. Does this sunroof have four drains? We found the first two and think they are flowing?? But after some rain I see water staining. Mats don't feel wet on the top.

Each of the foot wells underneath the car have a rubber cap that we popped out and checked. All were dry and the padding felt was dry except the front passenger side where my friend had found the mold and water.