RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Buyiing Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-17, 08:32 AM
02befree
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX330 Buyiing Advice

Any advice would be appreciated.
I’ve got a 10k budget and would like to get a 2004-2006 RX330. In that price range there are several in my area (Portland OR) and their mileage differs from as low as 120k to 190k. Some are 2WD others AWD. What are the most important factors here on this model when it comes to price vs mileage, etc. Is regular scheduled maintenance critical on this model? I have an excellent mechanic who is very reasonable, and usually when I buy a car that hasn't had timing belt/water pump done in the past 50k, I'll have him do it - usually under $600. Basically I want to get the lowest mileage for the best price, but wondering if there are any other factors to consider on this particular model. For example I can get a well maintained model with 162k for $8100 or one with 128k for $10,500 I live in Portland where we don’t have a lot of snow but every few years we get shut down by a couple inches, and I travel to Idaho and Eastern Washington through the Columbia Gorge /I-84 which can get a little dicey with ice etc. during the winter. I’ve never owned an AWD
Old 10-27-17, 12:12 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts

Personally, mileage isn't too important to me as maintenance is being it is a Toyota drivetrain. Of course it is a factor but beating a dead horse here, "a well maintained high mileage car is better than a low mileage neglected car". I bought my RX330 with only 71K miles with zero records and upon opening the valve covers, I had a bit of sludge while my Camry is at almost 200K and every time I pull the valve covers it is spotless. I also had to suck it up and do the timing belt right away which was not cheap. But, I do enjoy the car greatly.

I'd say stay in the later years like 06-09 as all the kinks have been worked out from the earlier years. AWD is great regardless if you have snow or not, the car handles better in my experience than a 2WD. If you can, go with the 350's as it does not use a timing belt. Regardless if it is a 330 or 350, stay away from air suspension, that will be a money pit if you have no idea how to work on it.
The following users liked this post:
02befree (10-30-17)
Old 10-27-17, 04:27 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

If you're safety conscious, the 2004 doesn't have the rollover trigger for the curtain airbags.
The following 2 users liked this post by NVAKeith:
02befree (10-30-17), Lexuswiz (10-27-17)
Old 10-28-17, 05:10 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I was fortunate to find a 05 RX330 AWD with 137K for $2,800. at a dealer, after several repairs & maintenance procedures as the timing belt changed, parking brake & AFS repaired & more...
still under $5,000. when all was done & the RX has no issues other than the power tailgate does not function which I can live without.
In the Great White North, winter tires & AWD are greatly welcomed, my advice is to purchase a AWD not only for safety reasons but the demand for AWD is higher hence you retain a higher value for the vehicle.
As Lexuswiz mentioned, stay away from the Air Suspension feature, you do not want to deal with that when something goes very wrong.
02befree (10-30-17)
Old 10-30-17, 10:12 AM
02befree
Driver School Candidate

Many thanks folks - I really appreciate it. Answered a lot of questions.
Never heard of the Air Suspension - Do most models have it? What's the easiest way to tell if a RX has it?
Old 10-30-17, 10:41 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

My RX is a Premium Plus model which features many options (photo of the features below) although my understanding Air Suspension was an expensive option offered apart.
The switch for Air Suspension would be to the right of the headlight cleaner on the console, also there will be a noticeable indicator in the instrument panel.
Attached Thumbnails RX330 Buyiing Advice-capture.jpg  
02befree (10-30-17)
Old 10-30-17, 01:32 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 02befree
Never heard of the Air Suspension - Do most models have it? What's the easiest way to tell if a RX has it?
No, this is premium option only fully loaded models get. There are a few visual points, most obvious is looking at the strut tower itself, if you see a rubber "bag" instead of where your typical spring is suppose to be, you have air bag suspension. Second would be on the tachometer, right where the mileage OBD is will be the ride height indicator. Third is a level adjuster button where is the shift **** is next to the primary cigarette lighter. Last, and given the air suspension works, the car should lower automatically when you turn off the engine and remove the key as does the steering wheel retract.

Again, stay away, OEM just can't get it right. The problem is costs of parts, the system itself isn't too difficult. Unlike aftermarket where things are interchangeable, you are trapped with OEM. Dealt with this once on an X5, and we ended up taking it all out and just putting coilovers in.

Last edited by Lexuswiz; 10-30-17 at 01:35 PM.
02befree (11-06-17)
Old 11-04-17, 01:28 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Any advice would be appreciated.

In that price range there are several in my area (Portland OR) and their mileage differs from as low as 120k to 190k.

Some are 2WD others AWD. What are the most important factors here on this model when it comes to price vs mileage, etc. Is regular scheduled maintenance critical on this model?
High mileage isn't critical to an RX330, there seems to be very little with power-train and transmission problems that can go wrong with higher mileage examples (unlike Honda that tend to eat their transmission after 100k miles).

Here in the Midwest, a high mileage example with over 150k cost $6000-8000 while a low mileage example (less than 100k) can cost $8000-10,000. Like I said, I would rather take a high mileage RX and pocket the savings.

I would take a well-maintained high mileage example (150k) that has a good service history (frequent oil changes, timing belt and water pump replaced, all warranty work done) over a more expensive low mileage example that cost several thousand more.

2WD has about 1-2 mpg better gas mileage so if you are using it to commute or drive only on the highways, 2WD may be better since you get 24 mpg. But if you are going to live anywhere with snow and ice or hills, AWD may be safer option, even if your mpg drops down to 22 or 23 mpg.

Regular maintenance is good, but not as critical as some of German luxury brands. Oil changes and filter changes are easy DIY that cost maybe $20-30 and take an hour. The only thing to watch out for is to make sure that the previous owner had the timing belt and water pump replaced.

Also make sure that any factory warranty work (replacement of radiator pump and dash) has already been done, those can be quite costly since the car is likely already out of warranty and you will be paying out of pocket.

I agree with the other posters - avoid the height adjustable air suspension and go with the regular springs. Fewer things to go wrong that can lead to a costly repair.

Last edited by ToledoRX; 11-04-17 at 01:41 PM.
02befree (11-06-17)
Old 11-04-17, 01:49 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

I know this was an available option for 2004-2006. But I have never encountered an RX330 with the air suspension system. I'm wondering if this was even a common option in North America.
02befree (11-06-17)
Old 11-05-17, 05:55 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Originally Posted by ToledoRX
I know this was an available option for 2004-2006. But I have never encountered an RX330 with the air suspension system. I'm wondering if this was even a common option in North America.
Most likely it was a very expensive option, it could have been a special order option to which consumers would need to wait a while for delivery of the vehicle.
Also most likely consumers preferred to spend towards convenience & more familiar options as the Premium Plus Package, Navigation, 18" Wheels or 6 CD Changer & more instead.

Last edited by 05RX330AWD; 11-05-17 at 06:08 AM.
02befree (11-06-17)
Old 11-05-17, 01:24 PM
bluegene
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@NVAKEITH
Just curious on your rollover trigger comment? What's your source for this?
Cannot find anything verifying this from IIHS, NHTSA, or Euro NCAP?

@OP
These vehicles along with the ES00/330 are probably the most reliable ones made in that era or since.
Regular maintenance limited to oil and filter every 5K on dino 7K on synthetic.
As everyone else has mentioned, the mileage is not that big of an issue most important is maintenance.
Make sure timing belt and water pump done within last 90K and that there are no major leaks.
Avoid air suspension, it is when and not if it will fail.
Avoid the Bamboo Pearl color there is a history of this paint peeling off from plastic sections.

I actually have been looking for a friend.
In the Northeast I find cars going for <7K generally are not that well maintained and ones for >12K are overpriced no matter what the condition.

Last edited by bluegene; 11-05-17 at 02:10 PM.
02befree (11-06-17)
Old 11-06-17, 04:33 AM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bluegene
@NVAKEITH
Just curious on your rollover trigger comment? What's your source for this?
Cannot find anything verifying this from IIHS, NHTSA, or Euro NCAP?...

There's a couple "what's new for the 2005 rx330" links in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9041528

http://www.nysun.com/motoring/2005-l...ts-class/7040/
02befree (11-06-17)
Old 11-08-17, 07:09 AM
02befree
Driver School Candidate

I'm at my final decision process - I started with a 10k budget and could go a bit more. Anything totally stick out here as a killer buy?
Old 11-08-17, 10:04 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Long story short...
I purchased my 05 RX330 AWD -137,000 miles from a Hyundai Dealer as an as is, trade in, the vehicle would need a Safety Inspection in order to register it.
The Dealer knows that, I took a test drive & found several issues to motivate me to do some heavy negotiating as I knew $4,500 was just a sticker price.
When the dust cleared, the final price was $2,800 & I knew the Sales Manager wanted me hell out of the Showroom at any cost.
All that to say I vote for the 05 RX330 at the Infinity Dealer, they want to sell that vehicle ASAP, keep haggling for your goal price until the salesman starts sweating
& brings over Sales Manager, then the real fun starts.
Old 11-09-17, 05:28 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

I'm at my final decision process - I started with a 10k budget and could go a bit more. Anything totally stick out here as a killer buy?
I'd go with the 2006 RX with 134k. Assuming clear history and routine maintenance schedule, if this was a private owner sale then it would be a deal at less than $8000
02befree (11-09-17)

Quick Reply: RX330 Buyiing Advice