RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Android Headunit

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-17, 10:48 AM
Judstfied
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android Headunit

Hello everybody,

I wanted to chance my HU to one of those snazzy Android Headunits. I currently have an 2004 RX330( 120,000 I plan to drive till the wheels fall off ). My cd player shows error 4 the volume button dosent work currently and its just a hassle to deal with. I have a ML system w Navigation and Rear DVD. I know I would need the dash kit but what wiring harness and yes I have steering wheel controls that I would like to retain functional. Now before you say this has been talked about to death and whats needed. I did a bit of research and found nothing about these Android hu in an RX.

One reason Im interested in this type of headunit is that it has built in steering controls that can be programmed from the headunit which may save some money on adaptors or extra wiring.
Check out these links below
6tXfKQ

http://youtu.be/eKs7ttfS2RM

https://www.amazon.com/Pumpkin-Android-Stereo-Navigation-Screen/dp/B00NPM37U0

If anybody has done one lets discuss!

Last edited by Judstfied; 11-10-17 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 11-10-17, 11:24 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Sounds as a good unit at a very reasonable price although the heavy spending comes for the adapter....
This is your best bet for plug & play & all the Lexus features function & are not lost: http://www.beatsonicusa.com/beat-sonic-rx-82.html
There are other adapters, some Lexus factory features are lost.
Lexus electronics are unique & complicated.
In most other brand 05 year vehicles, the 2 year old Pioneer Double Din Stereo I kept from my previous vehicle would be installed by now.
Old 11-11-17, 10:10 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts

Although the android units haven't specifically been talked about, if you want one, it would be identical to putting in an aftermarket headunit which has been documented well on this forum. Unfortunately, I have not seen those OEM-like Android units made specifically for the RX like they do for many other Toyota's. If you have found one, please link me as I've been keeping an eye out for one myself but it has to be a full OEM-look-a-like not a double din unit as I can just get a Pioneer NEX. As an audio head, from my experience I doubt they will make an android unit specifically for the RX as the market is much smaller compared to Toyota and the integration is much harder for Lexus. Even in the Toyota market, these makers target non-JBL cars as it's a breeze to install, JBL not so much.

I do have experience with these types of units though, I've played with them on my own Camry and a Venza. The plus side is they are very sleek looking and easy to install (on Toyota's) as they are plug and play for non-JBL cars, with JBL you are in the same boat as Lexus. But, I found them to produce sub-par audio quality even with external amps and the navigation app is trash unless you mirror your phone. I ended up ripping both units from my camry and the venza and replacing them with Pioneer NEX units as we values audio over looks. These units are slowly getting better but because they don't have the experience of big brand units like Pioneer and Alpine, they will never live up to expectation once you use a big brand unit. Your mileage will vary.