RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Headlight Bulb alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-17, 08:36 AM
Botto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Bulb alternatives

I have a 2007 RX400h and one low beam is out. The car has HID low beams bulbs which are $175/bulb from the dealer. Rather then spend $175/bulb I am considering substituting with Sylvania H11 SilverStar zHe Halogen bulbs which are $64/pair from Advance Auto Parts who claim that the bulbs are an exact fit for my vehicle. I'm willing to give up a little of the brightness. My questions are; (1) can I do damage to the vehicle by not replacing the HID bulb with another HID bulb, dealer supplied or otherwise, and (2) should I replace both low beams at once even though only one low beam burned out.
Old 11-11-17, 10:00 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 168 Posts

First of all, you cannot put an H11 Halogen bulb into a D2S HID socket, not only will it not fit, the connectors are completely different. Advanced is wrong if you know you have an HID setup, I also have never seen a 400h with Halogen headlights.

To answer your questions:
1. No, an HID bulb is an HID bulb, any D2S bulb will work but avoid cheap replica bulbs which have flooded the online markets. Stick to Philips or Osram which can be bought for much less than dealer online, Philips 85122's can be had for ~$70 for a pair.

2. I would recommend both if you never have, they lose intensity over time but it is not required to change it unless it is completely out.

Last edited by Lexuswiz; 11-11-17 at 12:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Botto (11-11-17)
Old 11-11-17, 11:51 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

If you are considering a DIY for replacing the bulbs, then yes, especially if you are purchasing a pair, the other bulb may be on the way out sooner than later.
Old 11-11-17, 12:41 PM
Botto
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your help. I now see that the fitting is completely different on the socket. I did find the 85122's for about $70 and fired them up....expect to have by Tuesday. It looks like you have to remove the rubber from the wheel well to get access to the low beam. A little bit of pain but it beats paying hundreds to the dealer.
Old 11-11-17, 01:59 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 168 Posts

If your hands are small enough you can just reach into the slot from above without pulling the fender cover, although that works too. I think you can remove the battery which should free up some space but it's been a bit since I've opened the hood.
Old 11-11-17, 02:50 PM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You can do it from engine bay,,my hands are big and still did it from inside, for the passenger side you can remove the windshield container neck by unscrewing one bolt and work your way
Old 11-16-17, 03:17 PM
Botto
Driver School Candidate

So my 85122s showed up today and for the life of me I cannot work my hand up from the bottom after removing the fender cover for the bulb on the driver's side nor can I reach it from above through the engine compartment down. I removed both covers on the top of the engine on the driver's side, the other that covers the radiator cap and the cover that is directly behind it as well. There is a small plastic box that contains fuses under and a relay under one cover and if I could loosen it I think I could get access but it is not obvious to me how to loosen it. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your help.
Old 06-05-18, 06:08 PM
Rileyrk
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Botto
So my 85122s showed up today and for the life of me I cannot work my hand up from the bottom after removing the fender cover for the bulb on the driver's side nor can I reach it from above through the engine compartment down. I removed both covers on the top of the engine on the driver's side, the other that covers the radiator cap and the cover that is directly behind it as well. There is a small plastic box that contains fuses under and a relay under one cover and if I could loosen it I think I could get access but it is not obvious to me how to loosen it. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your help.
I've got the same problem...2008 rx400h with the passenger low beam out. I assume the Philips 85122 will work, but a little worried on how to get to the bulb if you're having trouble. Let me know please what you ended up doing.
Old 06-08-18, 05:03 PM
edwardh11
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$175 for headlight bulbs?
must be a first world problem.
Old 06-08-18, 06:39 PM
edwardh11
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2007 RX400h and one low beam is out. The car has HID low beams bulbs which are $175/bulb from the dealer. Rather then spend $175/bulb I am considering substituting with Sylvania H11 SilverStar zHe Halogen bulbs which are $64/pair from Advance Auto Parts who claim that the bulbs are an exact fit for my vehicle. I'm willing to give up a little of the brightness. My questions are; (1) can I do damage to the vehicle by not replacing the HID bulb with another HID bulb, dealer supplied or otherwise, and (2) should I replace both low beams at once even though only one low beam burned out.
are these stock or an option- either factory or aftermarket?
Old 06-12-18, 05:33 AM
Botto
Driver School Candidate

The low beam on the driver's side is the one that failed for me so I'm not sure if this info will help since it is your passenger bulb that failed. Also, I recently sold my 2007 RX400h so I can't go to the car and see what components are where under the hood. It was difficult to replace but I finally was able to do it by through the engine compartment versus going up through the wheel well. (Although I could reach the bulb going up through the wheel well I could not get a good enough grip on it to turn the bulb the 1/4 turn to get it out of the socket.) What was helpful to me was using a small mirror (I used an old compact makeup mirror from my wife) so I could see what I was doing. If I remember correctly, the passenger side looked easier but you'll probably have to disconnect and remove the battery to get access to the low beam.

I
Old 06-23-18, 07:09 AM
Rileyrk
3rd Gear

The low beam on the driver's side is the one that failed for me so I'm not sure if this info will help since it is your passenger bulb that failed. Also, I recently sold my 2007 RX400h so I can't go to the car and see what components are where under the hood. It was difficult to replace but I finally was able to do it by through the engine compartment versus going up through the wheel well. (Although I could reach the bulb going up through the wheel well I could not get a good enough grip on it to turn the bulb the 1/4 turn to get it out of the socket.) What was helpful to me was using a small mirror (I used an old compact makeup mirror from my wife) so I could see what I was doing. If I remember correctly, the passenger side looked easier but you'll probably have to disconnect and remove the battery to get access to the low beam.

I
Thanks brother