RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How to replace headlight unit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-17, 10:34 AM
wilcomj64
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to replace headlight unit?

Need to replace both headlights on 2009 RX. What are basic instructions for this job and is it DIY?
Old 12-27-17, 02:20 PM
Mesquite77
Advanced

Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts

Remove front under tray, partially remove both front wheel splash guards and then remove front bumper "cover", the nose. Lot of clips, be ready to break some, I'd get some new ones ahead of time, but otherwise very DIY doable. BTW, while all that is off, is a good time to drain/fill coolant. And take a good look at your serpentine belt while right wheel splash guard is pulled back.
The following users liked this post:
wilcomj64 (12-28-17)
Old 12-28-17, 06:21 AM
Euro09
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

May I ask what's happened to your headlights ?
Old 12-28-17, 11:22 AM
wilcomj64
Driver School Candidate

Took about two hours. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-28-17, 11:24 AM
wilcomj64
Driver School Candidate

Both assemblies were badly faded and scratched. Found a set of after market for 225 and it included all new bulbs. Replaced low beams with LED bulbs that look great. Tried to have them professionally polished, but didn't last.
janesmith (01-01-18)
Old 01-01-18, 08:18 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Is there any easier way of removing the headlight assembly other than having to remove the bumper etc? As I need to get a replacement drivers side assembly for my 07 rx350 as my current one is taking in moisture after car washes and i dont want the hid bulb to short out as they are $$$ to replace especially if they are oem. Otherwise im just gonna have to pay a shop to have it done as I dont have the tools etc to do it.
Old 01-01-18, 10:56 AM
wilcomj64
Driver School Candidate

Matt, it wasn't that bad a job. About 6 screws on the bottom, I think 10mm socket, two allen wrench at wheel well, then 2 10mm inside upper wheel well. Then two 10mm on top of each headlight. It seems excessive to take the front bumper off, but it is still mostly attached. BTW, I think there was a recall on RX's because of condensation inside the headlamps due to a bad seal around headlight. A small bead of clear silicone might temporarily fix the problem.. Check with your local Lexus or Toyota dealer. I know they gave an extended warranty on this problem. I would check that first. Good luck and if any other questions, don't hesitate to email me.
janesmith (01-01-18)
Old 01-01-18, 01:12 PM
janesmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you send a link to where you found the after market headlight assemblies. The coating on my lights are faded as well and I was going to do the re-polish myself but I am a bit nervous about it. Thanks.
Old 01-03-18, 08:30 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by wilcomj64
Matt, it wasn't that bad a job. About 6 screws on the bottom, I think 10mm socket, two allen wrench at wheel well, then 2 10mm inside upper wheel well. Then two 10mm on top of each headlight. It seems excessive to take the front bumper off, but it is still mostly attached. BTW, I think there was a recall on RX's because of condensation inside the headlamps due to a bad seal around headlight. A small bead of clear silicone might temporarily fix the problem.. Check with your local Lexus or Toyota dealer. I know they gave an extended warranty on this problem. I would check that first. Good luck and if any other questions, don't hesitate to email me.
Well I dont know about it. Im not sure i have the tools to do it. Odd thing is I just ran it through the wash again yesterday and no moisture had condensed; so i dont know if its just a very small possible pin sized hole in the very back of the assembly somewhere or what but i found that odd that i didnt get any moisture in this time.
Old 01-03-18, 11:00 PM
numbafree
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ I would try clear headlight caulk and see if that does it. when I got my RX both headlights were pretty severely faded. I just got OEM used on fleabay, cuz of the HID and the servo motor thingy. Worked out fine. I did swap out the fog lights to HID as well, since I had the bumper off. It isn't that hard, and you don't need that many tools. You do need space though and time.
janesmith (01-11-18)
Old 01-11-18, 06:07 PM
janesmith
Driver School Candidate

Just got my RX back from the dealer. She is driving like new, or at least what I assume feels like new. So I plan on doing a complete aesthetic upgrade of the headlight assembly, BC it is soooo faded. Going to use a sand down and re-polish method that I luckily have some help with. Also going to upgrade all the bulbs to LED's. Cant stand the old looking yellow bulbs. They really date the car. I will post before and after picks. If anyone has any suggestions for a 2009 RX LED light upgrade please let me know. Right now I think that iJDMToy.com is going to be my source

Last edited by janesmith; 01-11-18 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-11-18, 06:10 PM
janesmith
Driver School Candidate

There was a recall for the condensation. You are correct. Kinda wish mine were leaking so I didnt have to do all this polishing.
Old 01-17-22, 11:02 AM
brybell
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wilcomj64
If you don't need to take the whole bumper off, did you break any bumper clips? Just wondering if I need to order them before I do this.
Old 01-17-22, 01:31 PM
Mesquite77
Advanced

Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts

>>>>> if I need to order them before I do this

The ones that break are on the splash guards, wheel and bottom nose pan. Very common sizes, you can get an assortment anywhere...
Old 01-17-22, 02:30 PM
brybell
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mesquite77
>>>>> if I need to order them before I do this

The ones that break are on the splash guards, wheel and bottom nose pan. Very common sizes, you can get an assortment anywhere...
Awesome, thank you very much!

Quick Reply: How to replace headlight unit?