RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Warranty Enhancement-Cracked Dash Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-22, 04:37 AM
Hobbes22
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGoodGuy
Right, but for those looking to farm it out to dealerships or local places, prices are important. It looks like you're looking at $1500-$1700 to replace it in a shop, and $800-1000 to do it yourself.
I'm still waiting for mine to come in, then time to do it, and time to edit the pictures. Then i'll post a step-by-step so no one else has to pay for this service if they have the tools. I hate ripoff jobs. I'd imagine this is a 2 hour job ($160-200) for most dealerships and the rest is just gravy. I'm also guessing it'll take me four times that to take pics, figure it out, and get it all back together. There may be a beer tax on the time as well, so add 2 hours.
Is this still on the list to be done? I’m thinking of taking a crack at it.
Old 01-18-22, 04:50 AM
TheGoodGuy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbes22
Is this still on the list to be done? I’m thinking of taking a crack at it.
Sitting in my garage waiting on me to get some free time as we speak!
The following 2 users liked this post by TheGoodGuy:
brybell (01-18-22), Hobbes22 (01-18-22)
Old 01-18-22, 02:38 PM
brybell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, I'd love to see as well. Have a 2007 with 140k miles we bought 3 years ago and the dash is starting to crack now...if I can fix that and the headlight issue, I'm hoping to drive it for another 100k miles.
Old 01-25-22, 07:32 AM
On2wheels
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any good news on your efforts to DIY? I need to decide today if we’re purchasing a 2005 RX for my daughter (with a cracked dash). I’d prefer to replace vs using a cover. Can’t seem to find any videos or instructions of anyone doing this job. I’m sure it’s tedious but can’t be rocket science right?
Old 01-25-22, 11:44 AM
ct77414
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by On2wheels
Any good news on your efforts to DIY? I need to decide today if we’re purchasing a 2005 RX for my daughter (with a cracked dash). I’d prefer to replace vs using a cover. Can’t seem to find any videos or instructions of anyone doing this job. I’m sure it’s tedious but can’t be rocket science right?
My 2007 RX350 AWD
I used "Dash Skin" and it is much better than what my dash was like.
I Leather Stained the Air Bag area on original dash Black.
The Dash cover I got is Black and pretty good looking with my Light Tan Interior. (I don't know what my Interior color Factory Name is.

It's not perfect but a grand improvement.

The following 2 users liked this post by ct77414:
Lexinerd (02-02-22), SJM (01-26-22)
Old 01-31-22, 03:10 PM
Lexinerd
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much was the dash skin ? If it is okay with you—could you tell me where did you by it from
thank you
Old 01-31-22, 04:22 PM
ct77414
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexinerd
How much was the dash skin ? If it is okay with you—could you tell me where did you by it from
thank you
dashskin.com maybe?
It's an Internet site and a Mfg of car accessories
You can look up price when you order
About $200 as I recall and another $5 for black leather dye
Old 01-31-22, 05:24 PM
Lexinerd
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you very much
Old 11-20-22, 07:02 PM
IalexI
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there,

my RX is still going strong, but the dashboard is now literally disintegrating.

We haven't received the letter for the recall. Also, our car has developed this problem definitely several years ago and we were not notified by the Lexus dealer about the exchange program while the car was in service. I think this is not really fair.

I had several interactions with the customer department of Lexus. I think we can get somewhere if we are a group of people (maybe around 10-20 people) with the same complaints (no notification by letter/dealer).

I would be willing to organize this. I am also happy to support any other person (with more posts than me), who would be willed to do this.

Let me know, since I am not prepared to pay > 2k for this repair.

Thank you,
Alex
Old 11-21-22, 11:17 AM
CaptStumpy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd be much more interested in having the 2GRFE timing cover oil leak repaired under a recall.
Old 11-21-22, 07:11 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 298 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by IalexI
We haven't received the letter for the recall. Alex
Just to split hairs, it was not a recall. I was an extended warranty. Those are different animals in how they get taken care of.
Old 11-22-22, 10:14 AM
evident
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by IalexI
Hi there,

my RX is still going strong, but the dashboard is now literally disintegrating.

We haven't received the letter for the recall. Also, our car has developed this problem definitely several years ago and we were not notified by the Lexus dealer about the exchange program while the car was in service. I think this is not really fair.

I had several interactions with the customer department of Lexus. I think we can get somewhere if we are a group of people (maybe around 10-20 people) with the same complaints (no notification by letter/dealer).

I would be willing to organize this. I am also happy to support any other person (with more posts than me), who would be willed to do this.

Let me know, since I am not prepared to pay > 2k for this repair.

Thank you,
Alex
unfortunately you won't get anywhere. I was only a few months outside of the extended period when my dash started cracking. they told me to pound sand.
Old 09-16-23, 02:27 PM
AHG
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 350 Crack Dash board

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
Huh? Sounds like you have another 3-months in the warranty.
I have 2009 RX 350 (Second Owner), there are cracks on dash board. I don’t remember receiving any notification or my dealer advising me of the offer. Today I called the corporate office and the representative was of no use . She said Lexus made a decision not to provide any assistance.
is there a way to find out servicing notes from the dealership. What is the best way to replace the dashboard.
will cracks cause any issues with air bags?. Any help is appreciated.
This is such bad reflection on Lexus
Old 09-18-23, 10:39 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by AHG
I have 2009 RX 350 (Second Owner), there are cracks on dash board. I don’t remember receiving any notification or my dealer advising me of the offer. Today I called the corporate office and the representative was of no use . She said Lexus made a decision not to provide any assistance.
is there a way to find out servicing notes from the dealership. What is the best way to replace the dashboard.
will cracks cause any issues with air bags?. Any help is appreciated.
This is such bad reflection on Lexus
1. Go to your local dealer and have them print it off. You may be able to get something from Lexus Drivers (make acct. enter VIN) - it will only show Lexus dealer services
2. No it won't
3. It's a 14yo car. They replaced a bunch for the first owner's of these cars free of charge. Along with the IS lineup and some LS' had a sticky dash issue.

Trying to get it done now, 14yrs later is not a bad reflection, they're still some of the best selling cars out there. So I can't really fault Lexus for not wanting or caring to spend 1300$ on parts & labor for a customer with a 14yo car to keep them happy. Then again, I can't see any manufacturer doing much as willingly as Toyota has done for some of its customers in contrast to others' out there. Manufacturer's experiment with materials and more so now they have to with all the eco-freaks mandating various targets on materials/emissions.
Old 09-18-23, 12:32 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

The dashboard can be bought at the Dealer at around $200. Installation is about $100 from a Lexus Toyota Tech. For $300 or so, life will be dandy again. Will cost you at least twice at the dealer. But get it done, you will thank yourself.

Quick Reply: Warranty Enhancement-Cracked Dash Replacement