RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Warranty Enhancement-Cracked Dash Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-19, 07:17 PM
Debodle
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Here's an overlay example for those who are interested: https://www.instagram.com/coverlaymfg/

I’m glad to see your pic. I’m considering buying a coverlay for my RX330. Have you been happy with it?
Old 11-19-19, 04:10 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Debodle
I’m glad to see your pic. I’m considering buying a coverlay for my RX330. Have you been happy with it?
I did not purchase this overlay, just saw it during some research. I am one of the lucky ones who had the replacement done. My IS was also done, however my Rear Door Panels are now starting to show degradation. Luckily nobody sits in the back.
Old 11-19-19, 04:25 AM
Debodle
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I did not purchase this overlay, just saw it during some research. I am one of the lucky ones who had the replacement done. My IS was also done, however my Rear Door Panels are now starting to show degradation. Luckily nobody sits in the back.
I am going to a dealer today to get mine looked at. If there’s no danger there, I will probably purchase the overlay instead of a new dash. Thank you!
Old 11-20-19, 09:51 AM
StacyRX330
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So, stupid question... the overlay really sits on top of the dash? Is this something a non-auto-tech type person can do or do you still have a mechanic deal with?
I looked at the carpet-type covers which are awful, but also don't sit down low enough to cover the extensive damage my dashboard has.
Afraid to feel optimistic but would LOVE to have my high-end car not look so low-end anymore!

Last edited by StacyRX330; 11-20-19 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-20-19, 10:50 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Best to look at the website. It is an overlay but good question on how it is mounted. At least somebody has addressed the need to hide the cracking dash.
Old 11-21-19, 06:32 PM
Turbo123
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So funney I own 9 cars some from 1991 and the only one with a cracked dash is my Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
JMW (11-06-21)
Old 01-26-20, 07:22 PM
xcalderon
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

2009 RX350 with the same issue. The last owner didn't know about the free replacement. Lexus wants $2,500 to replace ($2,000 part, $500 labor). Coverlay is $400 and anyone could install. Check this out, fellows:

Last edited by xcalderon; 01-26-20 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-31-20, 08:10 AM
06Rx330AWD
10th Gear

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ac921ol
Same issue here, sucks. I was thinking of calling back?

Wonder how kuch it cost ro replace out ace out of pocket.
It's a few thousand dollars to replace the dash. The part is really expensive and it's a lot of labor. I'm in the same boat, wasn't aware of enhanced warranty until it expired and never received a letter even though my Rx should have been eligible. I have read a few comments on some posts about this where people were offered a reduced cost of some sort. Dealers likely will be of little help and just pass off the problem to Lexus corporate office who has no problem telling you over the phone you're SOL. I'll never buy a Lexus again, I bought for quality and service reputation and have been very disappointed in both.
Old 01-31-20, 09:22 AM
xcalderon
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by StacyRX330
So, stupid question... the overlay really sits on top of the dash? Is this something a non-auto-tech type person can do or do you still have a mechanic deal with?
I looked at the carpet-type covers which are awful, but also don't sit down low enough to cover the extensive damage my dashboard has.
Afraid to feel optimistic but would LOVE to have my high-end car not look so low-end anymore!
Yes, installed on top, simple. See my post below with the video.
Old 02-01-20, 05:53 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

My Toyota 4Runner I sold a few years ago had a horribly cracked dash just like Lexus and when I took it to Carmax to see what they
would give me they deducted over $1k off the book value for cracked dash!

So I sold it on craigslist to someone 2 days later who loved the truck and he said he would do the dash cover.
PS- Selling that truck was a big regret only had 99k miles on it!

Last edited by Margate330; 02-01-20 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-04-20, 05:38 PM
jmarcus200
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2007 Lexus RX-350 from a doctor. He owned it since 2008 and maintained it religiously and the vehicle was always garage kept. It now has 85,000 miles and is in outstanding shape except for a severely cracked dashboard. I took the vehicle with the previous owner to my mechanic for an inspection. My mechanic told me the car was worth buying but the dashboard was its only issue. My mechanic asked the previous owner why he hadn't gotten the dash replaced under the warranty recall notice from Lexus. The previous owner was surprised there was such a notice and told me that the owner of the Lexus dealership only told him how to patch the dashboard with some stuff off the internet.
The previous owner told me he never, ever received any communication of any kind, including notices from Lexus. He told me the only repairs that must have been recalls were told to him by the dealer, and he had all of them done. But they never mentioned anything about the dashboard, and led him to believe the fix involved out-of-pocket costs.
Today, I called Lexus corporate customer service, twice. Both times I got the same story. The previous owner was sent all notices and he did not act on them. Although I told customer service personnel, the previous owner relied on the dealer to furnish all recall/repair notice information and this information was never provided, the customer service personnel believed that the previous owner must have received notices because he acted on all previous notices except the cracked dashboard, which was more of a warranty recall extension. What Lexus customer service said was completely untrue, and I told the representatives this. I told the last representative, I would pay the labor if they could at least furnish the part. They refused.
Reading other peoples information here, I believe there is a Lexus Coverup going on. They claim they sent out notices properly, but online, and in my research into other owners shows that Lexus corporate did not send out the notices as stated.
The previous owner is older, has been retired the past 5 years and does not regularly use a computer. He cannot be expected to have found or spotted the recall notice on-line. I believe law requires the company to send out the notices vis US mail. Important notices should be sent out via registered mail, requiring a signature. I don't believe Lexus actually mailed all these letters to registered owners. I believe it was a way for them to control costs and escape standing by their product as one would expect from a Lexus.
I think, after this vehicle gets us through our situation at home, I will go back to buying Toyotas and Hondas, as we know Toyotas and Hondas are quality products and cost far less than a Lexus. I know Toyota and Honda send out their recall notices as required. Lexus does not.

I am a nurse - "If it isn't documented, it isn't done" But I must add, depending on the honesty of those involved, "Just because it is documented, does not mean it has been done as stated!"

It appears that we cannot trust Lexus based on their name anymore. They clearly do not stand behind their product but pretend that they do. I did not take their survey because after this experience, Lexus has soured my taste for their company and I could not rate them poorly enough!
Old 03-04-20, 05:40 PM
jmarcus200
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called the dealer but found they are independently owned and may offer different costs. Typically the dashboard costs $1,000 and installation costs around $700.
Old 03-04-20, 06:31 PM
Lexinerd
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same thing happened to me.dealer never told me that there could be a probable problem. If you read the fine print it says that the dealer has to say that it is cracked or you don’t need replacement. Now I have 2 fine cracks which appeared after 9.5 years and I missed the deadline by a month. Lexus and dealer both said oops too bad.
Old 03-04-20, 07:22 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarcus200
I just bought a 2007 Lexus RX-350 from a doctor. He owned it since 2008 and maintained it religiously and the vehicle was always garage kept. It now has 85,000 miles and is in outstanding shape except for a severely cracked dashboard. I took the vehicle with the previous owner to my mechanic for an inspection. My mechanic told me the car was worth buying but the dashboard was its only issue. My mechanic asked the previous owner why he hadn't gotten the dash replaced under the warranty recall notice from Lexus. The previous owner was surprised there was such a notice and told me that the owner of the Lexus dealership only told him how to patch the dashboard with some stuff off the internet.
The previous owner told me he never, ever received any communication of any kind, including notices from Lexus. He told me the only repairs that must have been recalls were told to him by the dealer, and he had all of them done. But they never mentioned anything about the dashboard, and led him to believe the fix involved out-of-pocket costs.
Today, I called Lexus corporate customer service, twice. Both times I got the same story. The previous owner was sent all notices and he did not act on them. Although I told customer service personnel, the previous owner relied on the dealer to furnish all recall/repair notice information and this information was never provided, the customer service personnel believed that the previous owner must have received notices because he acted on all previous notices except the cracked dashboard, which was more of a warranty recall extension. What Lexus customer service said was completely untrue, and I told the representatives this. I told the last representative, I would pay the labor if they could at least furnish the part. They refused.
Reading other peoples information here, I believe there is a Lexus Coverup going on. They claim they sent out notices properly, but online, and in my research into other owners shows that Lexus corporate did not send out the notices as stated.
The previous owner is older, has been retired the past 5 years and does not regularly use a computer. He cannot be expected to have found or spotted the recall notice on-line. I believe law requires the company to send out the notices vis US mail. Important notices should be sent out via registered mail, requiring a signature. I don't believe Lexus actually mailed all these letters to registered owners. I believe it was a way for them to control costs and escape standing by their product as one would expect from a Lexus.
I think, after this vehicle gets us through our situation at home, I will go back to buying Toyotas and Hondas, as we know Toyotas and Hondas are quality products and cost far less than a Lexus. I know Toyota and Honda send out their recall notices as required. Lexus does not.

I am a nurse - "If it isn't documented, it isn't done" But I must add, depending on the honesty of those involved, "Just because it is documented, does not mean it has been done as stated!"

It appears that we cannot trust Lexus based on their name anymore. They clearly do not stand behind their product but pretend that they do. I did not take their survey because after this experience, Lexus has soured my taste for their company and I could not rate them poorly enough!
hold on.. you bought the car even with the cracks? lol..
You bought a broken car knowing it was broken. Now, you are mad that it's broken, and you want to go back to Toyotas and Hondas? Could've save a trip.
Sorry, I see ZERO logic in your thinking.
daddiojigg (03-05-20)
Old 03-05-20, 06:48 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
hold on.. you bought the car even with the cracks? lol..
You bought a broken car knowing it was broken. Now, you are mad that it's broken, and you want to go back to Toyotas and Hondas? Could've save a trip.
Sorry, I see ZERO logic in your thinking.
X2^^^^ I don't get it either.....So the PO didn't deal w/ it. You have a great reliable vehicle & your *****ing about what a dash mat or pad could cover a few cracks.......
daddiojigg (03-05-20)

Quick Reply: Warranty Enhancement-Cracked Dash Replacement