RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Warranty Enhancement-Cracked Dash Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-20 | 11:10 AM
xcalderon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmarcus200
I just bought a 2007 Lexus RX-350 from a doctor. He owned it since 2008 and maintained it religiously and the vehicle was always garage kept. It now has 85,000 miles and is in outstanding shape except for a severely cracked dashboard. I took the vehicle with the previous owner to my mechanic for an inspection. My mechanic told me the car was worth buying but the dashboard was its only issue. My mechanic asked the previous owner why he hadn't gotten the dash replaced under the warranty recall notice from Lexus. The previous owner was surprised there was such a notice and told me that the owner of the Lexus dealership only told him how to patch the dashboard with some stuff off the internet.
The previous owner told me he never, ever received any communication of any kind, including notices from Lexus. He told me the only repairs that must have been recalls were told to him by the dealer, and he had all of them done. But they never mentioned anything about the dashboard, and led him to believe the fix involved out-of-pocket costs.
Today, I called Lexus corporate customer service, twice. Both times I got the same story. The previous owner was sent all notices and he did not act on them. Although I told customer service personnel, the previous owner relied on the dealer to furnish all recall/repair notice information and this information was never provided, the customer service personnel believed that the previous owner must have received notices because he acted on all previous notices except the cracked dashboard, which was more of a warranty recall extension. What Lexus customer service said was completely untrue, and I told the representatives this. I told the last representative, I would pay the labor if they could at least furnish the part. They refused.
Reading other peoples information here, I believe there is a Lexus Coverup going on. They claim they sent out notices properly, but online, and in my research into other owners shows that Lexus corporate did not send out the notices as stated.
The previous owner is older, has been retired the past 5 years and does not regularly use a computer. He cannot be expected to have found or spotted the recall notice on-line. I believe law requires the company to send out the notices vis US mail. Important notices should be sent out via registered mail, requiring a signature. I don't believe Lexus actually mailed all these letters to registered owners. I believe it was a way for them to control costs and escape standing by their product as one would expect from a Lexus.
I think, after this vehicle gets us through our situation at home, I will go back to buying Toyotas and Hondas, as we know Toyotas and Hondas are quality products and cost far less than a Lexus. I know Toyota and Honda send out their recall notices as required. Lexus does not.

I am a nurse - "If it isn't documented, it isn't done" But I must add, depending on the honesty of those involved, "Just because it is documented, does not mean it has been done as stated!"

It appears that we cannot trust Lexus based on their name anymore. They clearly do not stand behind their product but pretend that they do. I did not take their survey because after this experience, Lexus has soured my taste for their company and I could not rate them poorly enough!
Highly unlikely an owner did not get the Warranty Enhancement notification. Since it is a cosmetic issue and not a safety recall there was no big push from Lexus, however, thousands and thousands were replaced for free. Lexus even extended the replacement until May 2017. I purchased an 04 RX330 from a friend who is very detailed and reads all mail and he called Lexus and placed the car on the list after receiving the mail out. I purchased with the dash cracked, he received the call and I went and got it replaced for free and they gave me a free loaner for a few days. Wow, that is service. I've had 3 Lexus RX and their service and trust level are in my opinion just difficult to surpass.

You mentioned you have done the research. Have you seen what this Consumer Advocate wrote about it here?: https://www.carbuyingtips.com/articl...rd-repairs.htm

Recently I purchased an 09 RX350 from another very good friend. She was surprised and said she didn't know. Well, she is not very organized so unlikely she caught it in the mail. May have looked like solicitation maybe or an offer? So now is past the warranty and Lexus won't fix; period. The good news for me is that a got it for little money. Maybe you got a good deal too. So for $400, I'm going to purchase a CoverLay and install myself. Seems really easy. Got to coverlaymfg.com to see them. Scroll down on the videos page to find the RX video here: https://coverlaymfg.com/g-20312-vide...Cmodel%3DRX350

Just add the $400 to the cost of the car and now you have way more than a Toyota. If you don't have the finesse to distinguish and appreciate the difference between Toyota and Lexus then don't spend the money, just sell it and go back to the Toyotas you love. Nothing wrong with that.

The following users liked this post:
Felix (03-06-20)
Old 03-05-20 | 11:38 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jmarcus200
I called the dealer but found they are independently owned and may offer different costs. Typically the dashboard costs $1,000 and installation costs around $700.
You bought a 13 year old car, if your pissed about the dash wait till you have to replace rotors and pads lol
Old 03-09-20 | 08:56 PM
xcalderon
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone tried the Coverlay?

Feedback?
Old 05-16-20 | 06:17 AM
MM320
10th Gear

Originally Posted by xcalderon
Has anyone tried the Coverlay?

Feedback?
Ive been thinking about it, did you ever get one installed?
Old 05-16-20 | 09:27 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Have you guys considered watching the video posted in this thread?
Old 07-26-20 | 12:32 PM
kcknebel
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Anyone have an issue with the passenger side airbag cover of this Coverlay dash cover being a potential missile/debris in the face? Wow, just wow. I would never purchase this product.
Old 07-26-20 | 02:23 PM
Alexia56
Driver

Default Dash over lay

Originally Posted by MM320
Ive been thinking about it, did you ever get one installed?
I did not. I have two kids and a dog so decided it is not worth the expense at this time. I’ve been considering a vinyl patch for now just to prevent further damage.
Old 07-26-20 | 06:19 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Alexia56
I did not. I have two kids and a dog so decided it is not worth the expense at this time. I’ve been considering a vinyl patch for now just to prevent further damage.
Have you checked out Coverking dash pads? 5 different styles.....It took me a bit to get it to fit tight up against the windshield & around the defroster vents, after I carefully cut the leading edge off...My dash wasn't cracked or damaged thou, even thou there were other rx's that had cracked dash's.....Seems like there were 2 out of 4 rx's that had cracked dash's at where I got the rx from. I was looking at the options, colors & mileage vs the condition of the dash....I knew before hand that Lexus had a dash pad problem after researching out varies 6 cylinder midsize suv's....To me this is a small problem vs other bigger mechanical issue's that other manufactures have......
Old 03-29-21 | 02:17 PM
IalexI
Driver School Candidate

Default Cracked Dash

Hi there,

I am a happy 2006 RX330 owner with roughly 70,000 miles. I have always serviced my car at the Lexus Dealership. A couple of years ago I noticed some small cracks in my dashboard. I remember that I asked my service manager for a solution, but since it was only very minor damage, they advised me to simply wait. I have all my service records and can prove that I asked 2016 for this problem.

The car is always garage-kept and obviously, I am putting very few miles on it. So far I have silently read this forum, because the car has been super reliable and I simply loved it.

The problem is: While the cracks have been stable the last couple of years, it's now coming apart.

A little research on the internet revealed that this is a very common issue because the dashboards are of inferior quality. There was an exchange program that obviously expired in 2017.

I am pretty sure that people in this forum know about this, probably better than me.

I am upset, because:
- I didn't receive a letter from Lexus informing me about this issue
- I believe that there is hardly any car that has the service history like mine: every oil change, tire rotation and other recommended service (e.g. timing belt change) was done at the Lexus dealership. Why didn't they inform me about the replacement program when the first cracks developed?

My dealership has quoted me a price of almost $2000 for the dash replacement. They are telling me that they are sorry but the program expired and they cannot do anything about it. That my car was 5 times at their dealership during the time of the program was not of interest to them at all!

I guess it's a really great way to reduce costs if you have a program that not everybody knows about and that expires rapidly! I also really don't understand the interest of the dealership, because they would have to get reimbursed by the manufacturer and probably earned good money from the program!?

I am really angry and I want to write Lexus a letter about my feelings!

Please let me know if you are in the same position as me. I bet there are more people like me! Please let me know if your dashboard looks horrible and if nobody told you about the replacement program.

Best regards,
Alexander

Last edited by IalexI; 03-29-21 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-29-21 | 04:50 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Your right to be pissed off as well as a inferior part & a really shoddy looking & feeling piece vs other manufactures.....IK its a little late, but possibly should of hitup another dealer at the time. Kinda seems like its a hit & miss of ppl having cracking dash pads. Our rx doesn't have any cracking dash pad issues. I didn't care for looking at a poor quality dash pad, so I ordered a Covercraft dash pad, looks so much better as well as protecting the shoddy oem dash pad. Really surprised, but I'll take that(dash pad issues) over having transmission problems, such as the mdx has. When you write to manufacturer, add copies of your records from the dealer as well.
Old 03-29-21 | 10:30 PM
spinellib
Intermediate

I have not personally had this dash issue, but from what I've read in all the posts here about the dash, some RX owners were having luck when they called Lexus directly to lodge a complaint.
This was years ago, so I doubt Lexus will be as likely to remedy your situation, but it's worth a shot.

I don't who exactly to call, but look for Lexus' number for customer assistance.
Old 03-30-21 | 01:36 PM
IalexI
Driver School Candidate

Hi there,

I can report a partial success: I spoke today with the Lexus customer care for about an hour. At first, they wanted to deny all claims, but then we figured out:

1.) The notification letter for the program was sent to the wrong address
2.) I could prove that car had (minor) cracks during the warranty period
3.) It was multiple times serviced during the period at a Lexus dealership where they should have made me aware of the program.

The representative needed to agree to the argument that a replacement program nobody knows about is quite worthless!

The claim is now escalated and they are looking what they can do for me.

So, please, if your case is similar, please let me know! Maybe we can reach something together!

I'll keep you updated.

Best
Alexander
The following users liked this post:
JMW (11-06-21)
Old 03-31-21 | 11:26 AM
CaptStumpy
Driver

Unhappy

Originally Posted by IalexI
Hi there,

I can report a partial success: I spoke today with the Lexus customer care for about an hour. At first, they wanted to deny all claims, but then we figured out:

1.) The notification letter for the program was sent to the wrong address
2.) I could prove that car had (minor) cracks during the warranty period
3.) It was multiple times serviced during the period at a Lexus dealership where they should have made me aware of the program.

The representative needed to agree to the argument that a replacement program nobody knows about is quite worthless!

The claim is now escalated and they are looking what they can do for me.

So, please, if your case is similar, please let me know! Maybe we can reach something together!

I'll keep you updated.

Best
Alexander

I had the same problem with 07 RX. They told me a dash replacement is out of warranty and that's all they would do.
Old 03-31-21 | 02:48 PM
nofancy
2nd gear

Angry Cracked/Melting Dashboard Issue

Hi all...
I have a 2005 RX330 - I purchased it new, so it is a 1 owner car. Several years ago (~2014), I noticed my dashboard cracking and pieces falling off but thought, well it is a 2005 and things just break down over time. My car is well-kept and most of it still looks 'like-new' since I don't have kids or dogs being hauled around in it - all except for this ugly dashboard (which also started to 'melt' about 6 months ago). Well, about 2 weeks ago, I discovered there was a notice supposedly mailed to consumers alerting them to this known dashboard issue but all repairs had to be requested by 2017. I never received any such notice. I begin to further research it online and discover that so many consumers complained about the fact they didn't receive said notice that Lexus extended the repair option through March 2021. I called the Brand Experience Center because my local dealership said that the program had expired. They just called me back and explained the program that was extended does not cover my year of vehicle, so I am SOL and no exceptions will be made. The program that covered my year of car was never extended, so the 2017 date was set in stone for me. They are holding firmly to the contention that they mailed me not just 1 but 2 notices on this issue, but that they can't be held responsible for the post office losing mail (twice apparently??). But they also can't supply me with a copy of these notices, either. They can only provide a sample, but not the letters actually addressed to me. They further state that I should always take my car to the dealership when anything breaks down or at least call the dealership to inquire whether there is a known issue with whatever part has broken down. Really??? I asked her directly if she is suggesting I should have called the dealership when my alternator stopped working or my starter - she said yes, always because they need to be notified in order to help determine whether there is a bigger issue at play such as part failures (she insinuated that had I alerted the dealership about my issue, then my request might be considered). I find that hard to believe that is truly Lexus' position on repairs that seemingly fall into the category of 'normal wear and tear' - which is what I thought my dashboard issue was given my baby does have some age on her.

I am so disappointed in Lexus right now. I know my car is older, but it was my first car (and still my only car). Except for the huge chunks of the dash literally falling off and the recent sticky substance appearing, it looks excellent inside. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how I might get Lexus to reconsider this repair? The person from the Experience Center said there is not anyone else I could speak to about it - that she is the escalation point and the answer is no.
Old 03-31-21 | 05:57 PM
ElaineO
Driver School Candidate

Hello Alexander

Yes, please keep us updated. I have the same issue.

Regards

Quick Reply: Warranty Enhancement-Cracked Dash Replacement