RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Warranty Enhancement-Cracked Dash Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 06:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Welcome CL as a new poster.

They are holding firmly to the contention that they mailed me not just 1 but 2 notices on this issue, but that they can't be held responsible for the post office losing mail (twice apparently??). But they also can't supply me with a copy of these notices, either. They can only provide a sample, but not the letters actually addressed to me.
Were you at the same address this whole time....since 2005?

I agree that mail can be unreliable....I'm not sure what most of us, though, here on the forum, can do. If the vehicle is that important to you (and you don't want to replace it) and get it repaired, you may want to consult an attorney who specializes in automotive litigation.
Old 03-31-21, 06:36 PM
IalexI
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the responses!

@CaptStumpy @ElaineO : Could you please let me know if you received the letter with information regarding the dashboard replacement program? Also, did you service your car during the replacement period (between 2015-2017) at a lexus dealership? Was the dashboard cracked during this period and was anything mentioned by the dealership about the replacement program?

This information will be very valuable when I have the complaint discussion with Lexus. If we can collect several cases, I believe we have a realistic chance that Lexus makes an exception.

Last edited by IalexI; 03-31-21 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-31-21, 07:17 PM
ElaineO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was not the owner at that time. I can not answer those questions, nor does the carfax
show any information regarding that time period.
Best
Old 03-31-21, 07:37 PM
IalexI
Driver School Candidate

@ElaineO You can go on lexus.com, enter the VIN of your vehicle and it will pull up the information of your service records. If you are lucky, you might even find notes regarding the dashboard.
Old 03-31-21, 08:03 PM
CaptStumpy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm with elaineo, there's nothing in my records and I didn't own the car until 2018.
Old 03-31-21, 08:11 PM
ElaineO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you!
but... nothing about the dashboard or any service reports after 2014.
Old 04-04-21, 10:01 PM
4xdog
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2008 RX350 had no issues with the dash during the period of the extended service campaign (I did get all the paperwork as the original owner at the same address, but over the last couple of years it (1) developed some areas of slightly higher gloss on the instrument panel, (2) which started to get sticky, (3) and then which started to crack. I spoke to the dealer when it started to get sticky, but by then my window had closed.

I ended up having a new instrument panel put in at my expense, by a Lexus tech I know on his own time. We put in a new AC evaporator at the same time to fix the constant "dandruff" problem from the coating coming off the evaporator. For somewhere around $1600 the dash and evaporator are better than new and I'm happy to have it done. Woulda been nicer had Lexus taken care it, fershure, but even out of my own pocket it was a job worth doing. The vehicle is otherwise in great condition with only 65k mi.
Old 06-09-21, 07:26 PM
2wPushkins
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IalexI
Thanks for the responses!

@CaptStumpy @ElaineO : Could you please let me know if you received the letter with information regarding the dashboard replacement program? Also, did you service your car during the replacement period (between 2015-2017) at a lexus dealership? Was the dashboard cracked during this period and was anything mentioned by the dealership about the replacement program?

This information will be very valuable when I have the complaint discussion with Lexus. If we can collect several cases, I believe we have a realistic chance that Lexus makes an exception.
We have a 2007 RX350, purchased new, and only serviced by a Lexus dealership. Our dash started having serious problems in 2017/2018. We bring the RX in for servicing at least twice a year - NO ONE every said anything about a replacement program. We did not receive any notices and we have lived at the same address throughout the period we have owned the car.

I brought it up to the dealership in 2018 and they said there was nothing they could do. Really sucks! I totally believe they did not send notices out to all owners!
Old 06-10-21, 03:49 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 298 Likes on 255 Posts

I believe that the dealer plays a bigger part in this process than they let on. I had driven to the dealer to pick up my wife's car and I happened to ask about dash replacement. I have a 07 and it was about a month away from the 10 year end for my car. I had caused a small cut maybe 3/8 inch long on the top of what was otherwise a perfect dashboard and I was wondering how much it would cost. The service writer said that he wanted to take a look, so we went out to where I had parked the car. I told him that I had cut the dashboard but he insisted that they would replace it under the extended warranty. Two weeks later, I had a new dashboard.

In a similar story, my wife's 2010 IS was part of the airbag recall. I forget how long the recall had been going on when I took the car to the dealer for something else. They asked if I had had the air bag replaced and i said no. I made an appointment for the next week and it was replaced.
Old 08-09-21, 02:46 PM
garv214
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We have a 2004 Lexus RX330 that we bought in Dec 2005 (it was a service loaner). We also experienced the dash cracking, and I discovered that there was a warranty to correct the micro cracks...however, I discovered it at 11am on the last day of the warranty period (5/5/2017 I believe), so we had to hustle to get a claim in on time. We were fortunate that we were able to make an appointment with our local dealer (where we had purchased our car from) and got the claim in and approved.

However, we NEVER received any recall notice on the car for the dashboard. I am also pretty sure that we have received other recall notices in the past for our car, but never for this issue.... The only reason I found out about it was because I just happened to do a search online about it. If I had waited just a few hours (e.g., after I had gotten home from work) we would have missed the window on the extended warranty.

I am sorry that many of you may have missed out on the recall. I can totally understand why you would be disappointed if you had a deteriorating dash on a luxury vehicle. I don't think Lexus "advertised" this recall nearly enough. Seriously, I get a flyer from the dealer's service center about bringing in my car for discounted tires, oil changes, wiper blades every few months... so how come they couldn't mention the dashboard recall on those notices...

Gary B
Old 08-09-21, 03:13 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 298 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by garv214
We have a 2004 Lexus RX330 that we bought in Dec 2005 (it was a service loaner). We also experienced the dash cracking, and I discovered that there was a warranty to correct the micro cracks...however, I discovered it at 11am on the last day of the warranty period (5/5/2017 I believe), so we had to hustle to get a claim in on time. We were fortunate that we were able to make an appointment with our local dealer (where we had purchased our car from) and got the claim in and approved.

However, we NEVER received any recall notice on the car for the dashboard. I am also pretty sure that we have received other recall notices in the past for our car, but never for this issue.... The only reason I found out about it was because I just happened to do a search online about it. If I had waited just a few hours (e.g., after I had gotten home from work) we would have missed the window on the extended warranty .

I am sorry that many of you may have missed out on the recall . I can totally understand why you would be disappointed if you had a deteriorating dash on a luxury vehicle. I don't think Lexus "advertised" this recall nearly enough. Seriously, I get a flyer from the dealer's service center about bringing in my car for discounted tires, oil changes, wiper blades every few months... so how come they couldn't mention the dashboard recall on those notices...

Gary B
This was not a recall, so sending notices to owners was not required, It would have been nice if Lexus had notified owners, but legally they did not have to and chose the cheap way out. Since you did not buy the car new, it is possible that the Lexus headquarters in California never got your name as the new owner. Only Lexus can prove this and they chose to remain silent.

It is amazing that you were able to get the dash of your 2004 RX replaced in 2017 on a 10 year extended warranty that expired 3 years previous was a fantastic stroke of luck.
The following users liked this post:
garv214 (08-09-21)
Old 08-09-21, 04:30 PM
garv214
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DennisMik
This was not a recall, so sending notices to owners was not required, It would have been nice if Lexus had notified owners, but legally they did not have to and chose the cheap way out. Since you did not buy the car new, it is possible that the Lexus headquarters in California never got your name as the new owner. Only Lexus can prove this and they chose to remain silent.

It is amazing that you were able to get the dash of your 2004 RX replaced in 2017 on a 10 year extended warranty that expired 3 years previous was a fantastic stroke of luck.
I stand corrected, I do need to be more careful with my terminology, since it was an extension of a warranty vs a recall.

Yeah, I got darn lucky. I had been noticing the micro cracking for a few months and was really getting worried about the integrity of the dash (especially if the airbags were to deploy) as well as the cosmetics of the dash. I started doing some research and finally found a thread where someone had posted that the final day of the recall was May 5th. It was a total OMG moment...lol..

We bought the car when our son was 3 months old because I wanted my wife to have a car that was a little nicer than what she was used to, something modern and safe for my new family, and to have AWD to take the family to the snow. Our son is turning 16 in a few weeks, and he is now driving the Lexus as his first car. I never imagined that when we bought the car that he would be driving it 16 years later.

A lot of water has passed under the bridge. It goes by so quickly.
The following 2 users liked this post by garv214:
JMW (11-06-21), SJM (10-19-21)
Old 10-18-21, 11:51 AM
Dededoudou
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus RX 330 dash crack

Hi, I’m new in the Lexus Forum.I own 2005 Lexus RX 330, I do have a dash crack problem. My warranty expire on 2017. Any Alternative to make Lexus cover a portion of the cost.
most vehicles LEXUS HAS THIS ISSUE . Lexus use inappropriate dash materiel wich not resist to UV AND HEAT.
JMW (11-06-21)
Old 10-18-21, 03:31 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 507 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
Have you checked out Coverking dash pads? 5 different styles.....It took me a bit to get it to fit tight up against the windshield & around the defroster vents, after I carefully cut the leading edge off...My dash wasn't cracked or damaged thou, even thou there were other rx's that had cracked dash's.....Seems like there were 2 out of 4 rx's that had cracked dash's at where I got the rx from. I was looking at the options, colors & mileage vs the condition of the dash....I knew before hand that Lexus had a dash pad problem after researching out varies 6 cylinder midsize suv's....To me this is a small problem vs other bigger mechanical issue's that other manufactures have......
To add, this dash pad is a TSB & isn't a recall.......My thought is Toyota really dropped the ball on using this shoddy dash pad material on a Lexus.......
SJM (10-19-21)
Old 10-19-21, 08:52 PM
cfh13427
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ac921ol
Same issue here, sucks. I was thinking of calling back?

Wonder how kuch it cost ro replace out ace out of pocket.
The Dash replacement cost for my 05 RX330 was approx $1,500 Parts&Labor, using a New OEM Lexus dash and a local Upholstery shop to replace it.

Quick Reply: Warranty Enhancement-Cracked Dash Replacement