RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

inserted wrong key in ignition, now correct key won't turn

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 04:35 PM
siddfynch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inserted wrong key in ignition, now correct key won't turn

Hi All,

The title says it all. Inserted the key to my wife's Lexus (2000 RX300) into my car (2009 RX350) this morning, realizing my error after trying to gently turn the key. Thereafter, my correct key would not turn. I never forced anything, find it hard to believe I damaged the ignition. It's got to be something electronic or security related. To complicate things, I got the steering wheel to lock after playing around with enough stuff.

My manual tells me there's an engine immobilizer system. If activated, will this still allow the key to turn?

Here are some things I've tried after searching this forum:
  1. Locked/unlocked the driver's door manually with the key
  2. locked/unlocked the doors using the key clicker
  3. Disconnected the negative battery cable for 20 mins
  4. Tried rolling and pushing the car (it won't shift out of park now)
  5. Removed the ECU-B fuse from under the hood.
I don't have lithium grease so haven't tried greasing the ignition cylinder yet. But, I really doubt it's a physical problem with the cylinder, seems much more likely its a security effect from putting the wrong key in the ignition.

Any ideas? I only have one key remaining to this car (don't ask....).
Old 02-08-18, 10:29 AM
siddfynch
Driver School Candidate

Hi All,

Looks like this is fixed. None of the actions in my original post worked, nor did blowing it out with compressed air..

I then went out and bought a tube of dry lube graphite powder. After squirting a shot in the key slot, the key turned on the second try. Apparently it really was a mechanical problem and not an anti-theft precaution.

Fingers crossed....
Old 02-08-18, 10:48 AM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

The lock cylinder does wear our. We had ours replaced when randomly it would take forty tries to get the key to turn. Our service writer told us the ability to turn the lock cylinder mechanism is purely mechanical without interference from the security system or immobilizer chip. In your case the RX300 key likely extended the lock tumbler pins to positions they've never been in before and combined with their age/lack of lubrication something stuck.
Old 02-11-18, 08:59 AM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Nextime try and wiggle the Key and the steering wheel at the same time. Sometimes that’s enough to break loose the locking mechanism.
Old 04-13-19, 07:45 AM
GeneE
Driver

Any problems after the dry lube graphite spray?
I'm having similar problems.
Old 04-13-19, 12:38 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I have heard by using the wrong key, there is a mechanism that prevents starting the car (even with the right key). I forget exactly how to unlock it, but this is not the first time hearing this.
Old 12-03-19, 10:05 AM
squasher
Driver School Candidate

i have the same problem, did you find a solution? thanks.
Old 12-04-19, 06:53 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I had this happen when I tried to start my daughter's RX with the key from my LX. I sprayed some mass air flow sensor cleaner into the ignition switch then vibrated the lock mechanism with an old electric toothbrush. Worked good.
Old 12-05-19, 01:46 PM
squasher
Driver School Candidate

Default hard to fix this common flub

graphite powder got key to turn a bit, then it broke but WD40 got it out, then mechanic said have it towed to him, date with locksmith. i suspect this is common for lexus (mine 2004) since many owners have more than one of these great cars and now and then grab the wrong key. beware, tag those keys.
Old 12-05-19, 07:57 PM
Lexus816
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rx330 Key repair

The plastic case that holds the metal key blade is cracked. Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the metal blade and put it into a new case? My ignition switch occasionally locks up also. Usually after gigiling the the key it eventually releases.
The following users liked this post:
squasher (12-06-19)
Old 12-06-19, 03:33 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus816
The plastic case that holds the metal key blade is cracked. Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the metal blade and put it into a new case? My ignition switch occasionally locks up also. Usually after gigiling the the key it eventually releases.
The key blade is unique to the case. You can move the transponder to a new housing with uncut key. Then you have to go to a locksmith to get it cut. Not bad expense.
Old 12-06-19, 05:40 AM
squasher
Driver School Candidate

good plan,thanks. got a small collection of duct-taped keys now, look like prison knives.
Old 12-06-19, 09:53 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 251 Posts

You can get a replacement plastic shell if that is what you want.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2007-20...43617370ddc9ce

If you want one with a Lexus logo, scroll down on that page.
The following users liked this post:
squasher (12-06-19)
Old 11-17-23, 03:52 PM
ilatoi
1st Gear

Originally Posted by siddfynch
Hi All,

The title says it all. Inserted the key to my wife's Lexus (2000 RX300) into my car (2009 RX350) this morning, realizing my error after trying to gently turn the key. Thereafter, my correct key would not turn. I never forced anything, find it hard to believe I damaged the ignition. It's got to be something electronic or security related. To complicate things, I got the steering wheel to lock after playing around with enough stuff.

My manual tells me there's an engine immobilizer system. If activated, will this still allow the key to turn?

Here are some things I've tried after searching this forum:
  1. Locked/unlocked the driver's door manually with the key
  2. locked/unlocked the doors using the key clicker
  3. Disconnected the negative battery cable for 20 mins
  4. Tried rolling and pushing the car (it won't shift out of park now)
  5. Removed the ECU-B fuse from under the hood.
I don't have lithium grease so haven't tried greasing the ignition cylinder yet. But, I really doubt it's a physical problem with the cylinder, seems much more likely its a security effect from putting the wrong key in the ignition.

Any ideas? I only have one key remaining to this car (don't ask....).
Hi all ,
This titles said all . Yes , I put wrong lexus key to wrong lexus car . And when put the right one then nothing work , nothing happended , all lock up and black out screen . Nothing moves , even if you want turn on radio or put scanner in , nothing , na da , done .
After a month search on web and friens , and figure it out by myself . Finally , the car turn back on as normal , just like a mirical . And depends how good fate in you or how good luck god loves you .
If you're really get stuck with thi issues , lmk . Maybe you can do same thing like I did . Ciao .