RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Headlight help- RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-18, 08:56 PM
joelake1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight help- RX 350

My 2007 RX350 just now developed a bad drivers side condensation problem that won't dry out. The thread with the instructions for sealing them etc. is not helpful as those photos have been removed, so that is not a help. Here are my questions if someone can please help out:
1. How can I get it dried out...if I use a hair dryer...where to I direct the air as there is not much room behind the unit... do I need to remove the bumper and the assembly to access it to dry it out?
2. The low beam is not working...is that just a bulb I can replace once it is dried out, and what kind of bulb--is that a Halogen or something else?
3. I don't understand the HID, AFS option I have...can I simply replace the individual bulbs for each light (running lite, low beam, high beam, turn sig, etc). Are these Halogen bulbs or is the HID a sealed unit and I can only replace the assembly?--It looks like bulbs can be replaced but again...are they Halogen or HID or Xenon, which bulbs can I use that will match the other side which is still good?
4. Also...what is the relationship with the ballast...is that only for HID or others (and does that control just the high beam or all bulbs, etc) and people say it is below the unit...but I cannot see it--is it IN the unit at the bottom?
5. The low beam is not working now...I don't know if it is shorting out and maybe when it dries out it will work...or what? does the low beam rely on the ballast? as the high beam is still working? I have not found anywhere that explains it all...

I was thinking that maybe I drill a few holes in the top of the light where everyone has put sealant...simply to dry the unit out...then after that seal those holes with an epoxy, then the silicone sealant that people have used...
Any thoughts?
Many thanks,
Joe

Last edited by joelake1; 02-28-18 at 10:17 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 03-01-18, 03:27 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 225 Likes on 202 Posts

HID is high intensity discharge. Actually, about same bulb, just smaller, like most have on their sheds or barns.
It is activated by a ballast, just like any other metal halide bulb. When ballast goes bad, bulb won't ignite the light source.
From many trials, I say this.
Sealing headlight is waste of time
Drilling holes is waste of time.
Replace entire assembly. THAT actually works real well. I had MANy attempts of fixing fogging headlights when I lived in very hot and very humid TN. Nothing, literally nothing gives good long term result.
There's outfit called Certifit, they have pretty good pricing on headlights. You may even be lucky and have a physical store close by. If so, then remove headlight and bring it to store to match.
Old 03-01-18, 06:56 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by joelake1
1. How can I get it dried out...if I use a hair dryer...where to I direct the air as there is not much room behind the unit... do I need to remove the bumper and the assembly to access it to dry it out?

If you want to leave it on the car, easiest is to move the car to a cool and dry location, it won't dry any time fast but doesn't require you to remove it. If you can remove it, remove all bulbs and either use a hair dryer or a lot of compressed air, you want to move the humid air out. Even better is to take it apart as you'll want to reseal it anyways unless you have a complete replacement.

2. The low beam is not working...is that just a bulb I can replace once it is dried out, and what kind of bulb--is that a Halogen or something else?

If you have HID AFS (you'll have the projector or "eyeball" where the low beam is) then it is a two part system, bulb and ballast. Assuming ballast is still good, changing the bulb will fix it, but if the ballast is shot too, then you'll need to replace both. If you have halogens then it's just a filament bulb.

3. I don't understand the HID, AFS option I have...can I simply replace the individual bulbs for each light (running lite, low beam, high beam, turn sig, etc). Are these Halogen bulbs or is the HID a sealed unit and I can only replace the assembly?--It looks like bulbs can be replaced but again...are they Halogen or HID or Xenon, which bulbs can I use that will match the other side which is still good?

All bulbs can be replaced but the HID (not filament, uses an arc) are more difficult and harder to source unless you have ordered them in advance. High beams, turn, and running light are all filament and can be bought at any auto parts store or Walmart. HID is typically dealer exclusive unless you have a specialty bulb store.

4. Also...what is the relationship with the ballast...is that only for HID or others (and does that control just the high beam or all bulbs, etc) and people say it is below the unit...but I cannot see it--is it IN the unit at the bottom?

Ballast is only for HID, it is mounted right under the whole housing assembly inside a plastic cover but is black so easy to miss. Check this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKZxiO0ON_A

5. The low beam is not working now...I don't know if it is shorting out and maybe when it dries out it will work...or what? does the low beam rely on the ballast? as the high beam is still working? I have not found anywhere that explains it all...

Again if you have HID then the bulb relies on the ballast, HID also doesn't play well with moisture so it can be either bulb or ballast or even both. High beams are on their own independent circuit.

I was thinking that maybe I drill a few holes in the top of the light where everyone has put sealant...simply to dry the unit out...then after that seal those holes with an epoxy, then the silicone sealant that people have used...

Don't do this, drilling holes will only allow moisture in..... It's a seal assembly for a reason. Also I don't use silicone, use polyurethane or butyl: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ac...utyl-glue.html
Although I have not resealed my RX330, I have done my Camry when I did a full HID retrofit (as it is filament stock) so I know a bit about HID and re-sealing.
Old 03-01-18, 07:03 PM
chalkboss
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Solid advice- About the only thing you can do with these old headlights is improve visibility by polishing the plastic to remove yellowing and scratches. I did this today using 3M headlamp polishing product. Took me about 30 minutes using a cordless drill. Make sure to HEAVILY tape the perimeter of light to avoid damaging paint. I'm quite pleased with the results. For some reason the driver's side needs at least one more treatment to look like this.

Old 03-01-18, 07:49 PM
joelake1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for all your response. It all makes sense now...I guess I will get it dried out, then replace the one low beam HID bulb, and perhaps the ballast will still work...if not, replace that ballast too. This https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ac...utyl-glue.html glue or whatever it's made of looks great...a professional treatment and worth the time spent, to do it right. Thanks again, really appreciate your detailed answers Lexuswiz !
Old 03-03-18, 03:18 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by joelake1
Thanks guys for all your response. It all makes sense now...I guess I will get it dried out, then replace the one low beam HID bulb, and perhaps the ballast will still work...if not, replace that ballast too. This https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ac...utyl-glue.html glue or whatever it's made of looks great...a professional treatment and worth the time spent, to do it right. Thanks again, really appreciate your detailed answers Lexuswiz !
No problem, to save a buck during testing, you can swap parts from your working side to your dead side to see what exactly is the cause instead of spending money you don't need to.

Also, I recall you need to bake open or use a heat gun to get the housing to come apart (or at least that was the case for my Camry), take your time and be gentle, although these lights can take a beating I've seen countless people crack housings from being impatient. Heat is your friend to get the seal to soften up.
The following users liked this post:
joelake1 (03-03-18)
Old 03-03-18, 09:31 PM
joelake1
Driver School Candidate

Swapping the good light bulb to see if its the bulb or ballast didn't even cross my mind! Will do...great advice and thanks again. We've had such rainy weather with a few days of good weather in between that the darn thing has not dried out one bit. Always something...
Old 03-04-18, 10:09 AM
5W40
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Very nice! Plan to do this soon.

See somewhere a UV resistance Clear Coat is a must, otherwise foggy will back soon.

Originally Posted by chalkboss
Solid advice- About the only thing you can do with these old headlights is improve visibility by polishing the plastic to remove yellowing and scratches. I did this today using 3M headlamp polishing product. Took me about 30 minutes using a cordless drill. Make sure to HEAVILY tape the perimeter of light to avoid damaging paint. I'm quite pleased with the results. For some reason the driver's side needs at least one more treatment to look like this.