RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Should I be concerned over this damage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-18, 01:27 PM
2010rouge
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Should I be concerned over this damage?

Two days ago, I went to a reputable shop in the Bay Area recommended by the CL forum for an oil change, however...this morning when I was walking to the car, I noticed something unusual underneath the car. I thought it was odd to have something sticking out that low, so I got down to discovered a piece of wood stuck at where the point of contact that a jack-stand would be.
I am unsure if this is caused by the technician at the shop leaving a piece of wood on the rack prior to lifting my car up for an oil change, or if this is something sinister caused by a stranger. I have parked my car at my University's parking garage - so I think it is fairly unlikely this would happen.

What exactly is the damage of this? Is this the frame of the car or something else? Should this be fixed and should the shop be responsible for the damage? How much would the repair be, and what would need to be replaced...or is this something a shop can knock it back in place?

Imgur pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/6wmyD

Last edited by 2010rouge; 03-04-18 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-04-18, 02:31 PM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It looks that the guys use this black to protect under the car,the damaged area may be from before,I have my car the same,,if you want an added protection you can spray the area with the undercoat or brush some liquid asphalt
Old 03-04-18, 02:45 PM
2010rouge
Rookie

Originally Posted by shikbas
It looks that the guys use this black to protect under the car,the damaged area may be from before,I have my car the same,,if you want an added protection you can spray the area with the undercoat or brush some liquid asphalt
Though I have never notice whether the jack points were damaged prior to this, I still think it is unacceptable for them to leave a block of wood underneath the car.
I am more concern about whether this jack point can be used in the future (ie. having a flat and need to change the tire)
I am surprise that not a single technician have brought it up that the jack points were bent
Old 03-04-18, 03:38 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts

My mechanic uses the same trick, although the wood would be used inverse to your picture with it stuck to the pinch weld, the "cut-out" of the wood should be where the pinch weld is not the opposite..... I assume your car was put into the air on a 4 leg lift which they forgot to remove the foot when done. Judging by the way the wood is used in your pic, I would say it could damage the pinch weld although I will not say for sure as it could have been damaged prior.

As for your question on usability, it still can be used as a jack point with a normal jack but a scissor jack will probably not work as it relies on that pinch weld to fit into the slot of the scissor jack. Definitely take your scissor jack out and test it.
Old 03-04-18, 04:09 PM
2010rouge
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
My mechanic uses the same trick, although the wood would be used inverse to your picture with it stuck to the pinch weld, the "cut-out" of the wood should be where the pinch weld is not the opposite..... I assume your car was put into the air on a 4 leg lift which they forgot to remove the foot when done. Judging by the way the wood is used in your pic, I would say it could damage the pinch weld although I will not say for sure as it could have been damaged prior.

As for your question on usability, it still can be used as a jack point with a normal jack but a scissor jack will probably not work as it relies on that pinch weld to fit into the slot of the scissor jack. Definitely take your scissor jack out and test it.
Okay, so I guess it is common for mechanics to use the wood in order to support and maybe alleviate the point of contact on their lift equipment? The car was definitely put in the air, but should the block be in a position where it sits flat to the jack points? I noticed the cut-out of the wood, and knew that it definitely belonged into a car shop...

Thank you so much of letting me know that its called a pinch weld!
Im doubt I'd be able to use a scissor jack until that spot is angled back to its original position

Also: glad that piece of wood stuck onto the pinch weld, it would have be a disaster for it to fall off while cruising at 70 mph on the interstate

Last edited by 2010rouge; 03-04-18 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-04-18, 08:19 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010rouge
Okay, so I guess it is common for mechanics to use the wood in order to support and maybe alleviate the point of contact on their lift equipment? The car was definitely put in the air, but should the block be in a position where it sits flat to the jack points? I noticed the cut-out of the wood, and knew that it definitely belonged into a car shop...
I wouldn't say common but if their lifts are old (my mechanic is an old school guy), odds are it has a large circular plate at the ends of the lift arms are instead of a specialized piece that will allow a pinch weld fit snug into it, the wood trick is so it fits the small slot of pinch welds as the disk is rather large. And this is because if you lift by the pinch welds, the whole underside of the car is in your sight, you don't have the lift interfering with the subframe and what not which would be an issue with the front and rear jack points which are dead smack in the middle of the front and rear of the car.
Old 03-04-18, 08:33 PM
2010rouge
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
I wouldn't say common but if their lifts are old (my mechanic is an old school guy), odds are it has a large circular plate at the ends of the lift arms are instead of a specialized piece that will allow a pinch weld fit snug into it, the wood trick is so it fits the small slot of pinch welds as the disk is rather large. And this is because if you lift by the pinch welds, the whole underside of the car is in your sight, you don't have the lift interfering with the subframe and what not which would be an issue with the front and rear jack points which are dead smack in the middle of the front and rear of the car.
Oh I see... I personally have never seen what kind of lift they used as they have their shop located behind the store.
Old 03-05-18, 07:06 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

How do you know the pinch weld wasn't bent already?

Maybe that's why they used the wood-to even out the level.

Last edited by daddiojigg; 03-05-18 at 07:17 AM. Reason: missed content
Old 03-05-18, 09:19 AM
FloorJack
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

You could always just bring it back and say "Hey, you forgot this..."

Old 03-05-18, 09:35 AM
2010rouge
Rookie

Originally Posted by FloorJack
You could always just bring it back and say "Hey, you forgot this..."

I have emailed them about it and included the picture.
Ive also asked whether the wood block came from their shop :/
For something like leaving this on a customer car makes it uneasy for me to think that they will be the same shop that I'll do future maintenance on

time to find a new shop if anyone lives in the Bay Area can point me to another one
Old 03-05-18, 09:47 AM
2010rouge
Rookie

Originally Posted by daddiojigg
How do you know the pinch weld wasn't bent already?

Maybe that's why they used the wood-to even out the level.
I had an alignment done before, and I'm not sure how the alignment system work - but I would assume that they have to rack it up on the system and it has to be completely flat before adjusting chambers/toes/other stuff?
Old 03-05-18, 12:37 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010rouge

I had an alignment done before, and I'm not sure how the alignment system work - but I would assume that they have to rack it up on the system and it has to be completely flat before adjusting chambers/toes/other stuff?
Yes, i think with that comment , it's clear you don't understand alignments. You don't hang a body when doing an alignment, it sits flat on a table.All i was implying was that if it gets lifted a on a two post hoist it is possible that the sides or posts are not level with each other and the wood acts as a 'shim' to even the sides(posts).I doubt very much that the garage bent the weld. I think someone went over a curb or something hard and it 'bottomed out' on that piece, whether that was you ,a family member, the garage or the previous owner(s) but i have NEVER seen a two post hoist do that and i doubt i ever will.I would think the wood got hung up when they lowered the hoist and because it's never happened before they didn't think to check for the block.Good shops are hard to come by. I would think twice, if they are good, before you cut them free or give them too much grief.
Old 03-05-18, 12:51 PM
FloorJack
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by daddiojigg
Good shops are hard to come by. I would think twice, if they are good, before you cut them free or give them too much grief.
My feelings exactly.