RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2004 RX330 Radio On in Park & Off in Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-18, 05:41 PM
jerrico71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2004 RX330 Radio On in Park & Off in Gear

I have a very unique situation not in-line with any other radio issue post I have read. To prevent misaligned responses, please understand it is obvious that this has nothing to do with loose wires in the back of the radio or the amp etc, loosened components inside the radio or the amp etc because the radio works 100% fine when the gear shift is in park and also when it decides to come on after several minutes of driving and when driving after the radio decides to come on (not always comes on) and going over bumps or on dirt roads it will work perfect! It stays on when stopping, stays on when going from Drive to Park, but turns off again when going from Park to Drive. In fact, while in Park, all a person needs to do is just slightly start to slide the shifter over to the right as though you are about to channel it down into Drive then the radio blinks off but will immediately come back on again if you let go of the shifter and it springs back all the way to the left resting position in Park. If you wiggle the shifter back and forth from left to right the radio will go off when to the right and come on when fully to the left. I have tried the entire fuse, battery disconnection, ECU reset things etc. An ex-Lexus worker even mention a battery going bad can have this affect, however the battery has been tested (Twice) and both sources said the battery is 100% fine. Nothing is working! Wow…does anyone out there have any new ideas? Thank you kindly ahead of time!
Old 04-02-18, 08:58 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 252 Posts

Have you opened up the console and looked around the shift lever? Maybe the shift mechanism is pressing against a wire harness and has damaged the wire harness.
Old 04-03-18, 04:44 PM
tomr51
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

agree with dennis above
Old 04-04-18, 12:09 AM
Gordonrx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jerrico71
I have a very unique situation not in-line with any other radio issue post I have read. To prevent misaligned responses, please understand it is obvious that this has nothing to do with loose wires in the back of the radio or the amp etc, loosened components inside the radio or the amp etc because the radio works 100% fine when the gear shift is in park and also when it decides to come on after several minutes of driving and when driving after the radio decides to come on (not always comes on) and going over bumps or on dirt roads it will work perfect! It stays on when stopping, stays on when going from Drive to Park, but turns off again when going from Park to Drive. In fact, while in Park, all a person needs to do is just slightly start to slide the shifter over to the right as though you are about to channel it down into Drive then the radio blinks off but will immediately come back on again if you let go of the shifter and it springs back all the way to the left resting position in Park. If you wiggle the shifter back and forth from left to right the radio will go off when to the right and come on when fully to the left. I have tried the entire fuse, battery disconnection, ECU reset things etc. An ex-Lexus worker even mention a battery going bad can have this affect, however the battery has been tested (Twice) and both sources said the battery is 100% fine. Nothing is working! Wow…does anyone out there have any new ideas? Thank you kindly ahead of time!
I had similar scenarios with my radio
, it was driving me batty and decided to switch out the ML to a aftermarket radio with all the bells and whistles.