RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Intermittent Cruise Control Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-18, 07:23 AM
jvah1980
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Intermittent Cruise Control Issue

Happy Easter folks!

ive searched around and found one other post identical to this but no posted resolution so I’d appreciate any guidances.

Cruise control on 04 RX330 has started randomly not responding. Sometimes it won’t turn on at all. Other times it turns on and works for awhile then the “cruise” light stays on but the stalk is inoperative.

I don’t think it’s the stalk - I see there is a relay and the physical cruise mechanism but I don’t want to just start shooting in the dark.

Thanks
Old 07-08-18, 05:03 PM
imtribble
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had this same issue with the same car model. I've not figured out the solution yet but I'm thinking of replacing the stalk and see if that fixes it. I don't have any other ideas at the moment.
Old 07-08-18, 07:04 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Can you test and see if it is associated with turning the steering wheel (i.e. can you get the cruise to work after turning the steering wheel a bit)?

Ours was doing something similar and it turned out to be the spiral cable in the steering column.
The following users liked this post:
imtribble (07-10-18)
Old 07-09-18, 07:48 AM
nwfsnake
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Brake switch, used to cancel cruise control and can keep it from activating...
imtribble (07-10-18)
Old 07-14-18, 01:31 PM
imtribble
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cdnewton
Can you test and see if it is associated with turning the steering wheel (i.e. can you get the cruise to work after turning the steering wheel a bit)?

Ours was doing something similar and it turned out to be the spiral cable in the steering column.
I finally had a chance to test this and yes, after turning the steering wheel, it works... and of course stops after awhile. I guess that means I need a new clock spring.
Old 07-14-18, 08:02 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Originally Posted by imtribble
I finally had a chance to test this and yes, after turning the steering wheel, it works... and of course stops after awhile. I guess that means I need a new clock spring.
Good to hear ... I didn't know how to repair that one, so I paid about $500 to get it fixed.
Old 07-23-18, 06:45 AM
imtribble
Driver School Candidate

I ordered one off of eBay and installed it and everything works like a charm now. Thanks a lot of the insight.
Old 07-23-18, 03:06 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

I ordered one off of eBay and installed it and everything works like a charm now. Thanks a lot of the insight.
Glad I could help.
Old 09-17-21, 09:28 PM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts

Can you please give more detailed info? Links for parts, steps for DIY, maybe video on YouTube, etc.? Thank you.
t looks that I have the same problem - very often I can't turn it ON/OFF; if I was able to turn ON, then I can't set up the speed or adjust it. But I didn't find any pattern. (((
Old 09-18-21, 05:52 AM
imtribble
Driver School Candidate

Default Dyi

Originally Posted by iMSQ
Can you please give more detailed info? Links for parts, steps for DIY, maybe video on YouTube, etc.? Thank you.
t looks that I have the same problem - very often I can't turn it ON/OFF; if I was able to turn ON, then I can't set up the speed or adjust it. But I didn't find any pattern. (((
​​​​​That is exactly the problem I had. Replacing the clock spring fixes it. Try to get a Toyota clock spring. I got a off brand Chinese one and it worked but a year later I had to remove the steering wheel again and noticed that the case of the clock spring had totally unraveled.

I don't have one but here is a YouTube video that I think will help you out

Last edited by imtribble; 09-18-21 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-18-21, 10:15 AM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts

​​​​​That is exactly the problem I had. Replacing the clock spring fixes it. Try to get a Toyota clock spring. I got a off brand Chinese one and it worked but a year later I had to remove the steering wheel again and noticed that the case of the clock spring had totally unraveled.

I don't have one but here is a YouTube video that I think will help you out...
Thanks.
I did some search yesterday and found the next
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post11128691
SJM (09-19-21)