RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Most miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-18, 01:42 PM
rusn007
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Most miles

Since 2nd gen RXs are now 10 years old or older - was wondering who has the most miles and what kind of issues they have encountered. These cars are suppose to be reliable and trying to see how long they can go for.

My 2nd gen is a 2WD 2009 with 114K miles (bought it new).

Major repairs:
  • The infamous rack & pinion power steering leak at approximately 55K miles. Repair was done at the dealer. Since it was just barely out of warranty period, Lexus picked up the tab for the part (approximately $800) and I paid for the service - approximately $800
  • CV boot leak (first driver side at 100K miles and then passenger side at 110K miles). Replaced with refurbished Lexus parts by indy mechanic at $250 per side.
  • Power door locks (driver and passenger) stopped working at around 90K miles. Decided not to fix b/c it is $500 per door.
  • Power liftgate is starting to struggle with opening - probably need to replace struts (not sure how much the fix will be).
  • Side mirrors tend not to hold their settings if I leave in the setting where they tilt in reverse, no issue when is no-tilt is selected - so I just leave it w/out tilt.
I'm leaving out normal wear and tear issues (my car needs new lower control arms, struts, and sparkplugs change - but I think that is normal for the mileage).
Old 04-04-18, 07:33 AM
jmu2004
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

2005 RX with 169k.

All usual maintenance items (TB, struts, brakes, fluid changes, etc).

First major breakdown just happened when the ECU went bad. Replaced with used ECU and running perfectly again.
Old 04-04-18, 08:04 AM
danthedj
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There are a number of these threads floating around if you want to do a search for more info. Some of the early RX330s are approaching 15 years old.

I have an '06 RX400h with 158k miles on the clock. It's had all the recalls done and the maintenance schedule followed pretty closely, but hasn't had any unscheduled repairs in it's entire life. I'm hoping the traction battery is in good shape, because the rest of the car feels like new.
Old 04-04-18, 08:44 AM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

2005 RX AWD with 170k miles. Things that have gone wrong:

- Had Error 4 issue with stuck in-dash CD changer. Bought a refurbished unit off of Ebay and swapped it in.

- Had interior dash replaced under warranty about 2 years ago. The surface of the dash was becoming shiny but wasn't sticky or cracking. Still nice to get a new dash though.

- battery died during a cold winter. Added electrolyte fluid to the battery and jumpstarted the car and no further issues with the batteries.

- Front brake rotors became warped. Had the front brake pad and brake rotors replaced with OEM brake rotors. Never had the issue again.

- Dealership service claims that my front radiator was leaking and needed to be replaced. Inspected the radiator and didn't see any leaking coolant. That was about 2 years ago and had absolutely no issues with the radiator or coolant loss

- Also power mirrors became stuck and won't tilt down when shifting into reverse. I think the motor mechanism is jammed and gunk inside the mirror housing needs to be cleaned out

Last edited by ToledoRX; 04-04-18 at 08:53 AM. Reason: added stuck power mirrors
Old 04-04-18, 05:55 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

2004 RX330 AWD with 227,500 miles.
Beside warped rotors on a continual basis and the power steering rack issue, great vehicle.
Old 04-04-18, 07:46 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2007 RX 350 FWD 167k miles. (2/2006 Build). I had it since April 2015, When it had 137k.

Previous Owner According to Lexus service history had to have: All 4(!) Door lock actuators replaced, Navigation ECU replaced, As well as problems with warped front brake rotors. Beyond that, I don't know.

Since I have had the car.
-Battery replaced twice, April, 15 and February, 18, Replaced for free under three year warranty.
-Dashboard, Was VERY shiny, sticky, and started to crack next to gauge cluster, replaced for free under warranty extension. New dashboard rattles in cold weather, was put in in May so this was a rude surprise.
- New Front and Rear struts, Control arms, Ball joints, Brakes, Michelin tires.
-Oil Cooler hose burst while driving (Short drive, didn't even know it until after I drove to my destination parked, and came back out to find oil all under my car and a long trail behind it) There was a warranty extension for this part but it expired after 150.000 miles so it was no good for me. Replaced with METAL PIPE. Should never been rubber in first place.
-Ignition Coil on back cylinder bank failed, had all three back there replaced.
- Alternator failed this week, waiting on a new one it is sitting at Indy mechanic right now as I type this.
-And heat blows cold at low speeds or idle, Blows warm when driving fast or rev engine. Have not addressed this yet, It's started to get warm though, So il wait till fall to deal with it.
-----------------

I have not had any problems with the infamous power steering rack, Other than alignment issues, and steering wheel shaking at high speeds (Which seems to be a pretty persistent issue on mine).
I have not had any problems with the power mirrors. And I do let them tilt down in reverse.
Old 04-06-18, 03:01 PM
coolioe93
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

2004 RX330 164k miles

-Warped rotors replaced at around 149k
-All the usual maintenance items (struts, brakes, oil changes, transmission fluid, batteries, etc.)
-Havent had a power steering leak yet
-Driver side servo motor for climate control failed and was replaced a few months ago. Also cleaned out the temp sensor by the driver knee and climate control is working great now
-Coolant valley leaking around 155k. Fixed by Indy mechanic who also put in a new timing belt and water pump at that time
-headlight moisture. Replaced both housing by dealer
-Dashboard sticky. Replaced by dealer

Car is driving perfectly and doesn't use a drop of oil between oil changes. Only current issue I have going on has been present for the last 10k miles or so. When driving at a speed of >40mph and aggressively coming to a stop, There is a clunk that I believe is from the transmission that I can very noticeably feel around 5mph as I'm braking. I thought a transmission fluid change would fix this but it didn't. Also, my car sometimes shifts very roughly from 2nd to 3rd gear. This only happens when I am lightly pressing the throttle and accelerating very slowly. Since the problems haven't worse and there are some reports of this issue online back from 2005ish, I'm shrugging both of these problems off as just a normal part of how the transmission works. Apparently it wasn't designed to be the smoothest shifting tranny.