RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Suggestions on dealer prep for RX330

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-03, 07:06 AM
Bobbaxter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on dealer prep for RX330

I take delivery on my new RX330 - 4wd, Flint Mica/Gray, performance package with navigation on July 18. Any suggestions on what you’d ask the dealer to do in preparation for the car being delivered. I want to make sure I know what items need to be set ahead of time by the dealer and also things that make sense.

Dealer Pre Sets
1) Adjust the suspension so the car automatically lowers for easier entry and exit.
2) Adjust the rear power door so the beeping is set to the briefest setting. I heard this is most annoying.
3) Check the tire pressure and balance the tires.
4) Any tire preference?
5) Have each key individually set to reflect the different seating preferences. Not sure if the RX330 does this.

Additional items:
1) Rubber or clear car mats to protect the carpeted mats -- Any thoughts here?
2) I may add a rear DVD system. The dealer said it is basically the same as the factory install except it will not display the map on the rear entertainment. I've also thought about the seat back screens. I just need someone good in northern NJ.
3) Any way to set the navigation while in motion – done by the passenger of course
3) Still working on an integrated phone option. NYC doesn't allow cell phones without being hands free.

Any additional thoughts or advice is appreciated. Bob
Old 07-08-03, 08:31 AM
anonymous
Pit Crew

Default Re: Suggestions on dealer prep for RX330

Originally posted by Bobbaxter
I

Dealer Pre Sets
1) Adjust the suspension so the car automatically lowers for easier entry and exit.

The dealer will do this.
Old 07-08-03, 10:04 AM
jeffknet
Pole Position

wow Bob - I believe you are more retentive than me - and that's saying something! Sounds like you have a great checklist going - you may wanna spend 30 minutes to an hour just messing around with all the gadgets and gizmos before you drive too far away and if something's not right then go back and have it checked/fixed..... as for some of the items you mentioned...

1) The air tuned suspension is controlled by two switches on the dash - and you can determine which hieght setting is best for you
2) The fewest beeps you can assign are 2
3) My tire pressure was a bit high when they delivered my RX330 - also I had to have my car re-aligned cause I noticed some drifting
4) Ive had great success so far with my Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 - they come standard here in DFW
5) The RX330 comes with 2 seating pre-set buttons on the driver's side door - not on the key

your add-ons....

1) Floor mats are there to be worn - in my opinion the covers are a waist of money
2) I've read that the center console rear DVD from Lexus is hard to see if you're not looking at it straight on, so seat back screens are the way to go is you got the $$ - but beware, any aftermarket items may affect your warranty
3) Suprisingly you can do a lot of things with the Nav while in motion - Zoom in/out, change heading from North to directional, adjust volume - but you can't change destination info until you're stopped (or slow way down)
4) Yeah that's one of the "wants" for the next gen RX - some sort of integrated phone....

a couple of my thoughts.....

1) Make sure you get your free trunk mat and cargo net
2) Make sure your dealer acknowledges your free services for 1K & 5K
3) Here in DFW we get free unlimited car washes for the life of the vehicle
4) Your new car should have a FULL tank of gas
5) You may choose to change your C-Best settings pertaining to the auto-door lock feature - mine was originally set to keep the rear doors locked until I unlocked em - this was a pain for my 11 year old daughter who sits in the back - so I had them change the setting - now when I put the car in gear all doors lock, when I put the car in Park all doors unlock - living in NYC or some with ultra-security concerns may not want this - but my RX330 is always in a well lit area.

that's all I can think of for now - get ready Bob - Xmas in July!!!!!
Old 07-08-03, 02:33 PM
cmstahl
Rookie

Just to add to Jeffknet's comments about the C-Best settings, with regards to doors locking/unlocking. By default, the unlock button on the key requires one click to unlock the driver's door, and another to unlock the three remaining doors. I had the dealer change this at my 1K service so that one click unlocks all doors. Depending on what your preference is, you might want to have this changed also.
Old 07-08-03, 03:23 PM
Bobbaxter
Driver School Candidate

these are all really good suggestions. First off, jeffknet your car is beautiful. I took a look at the posted pictures. Very nice set of wheels.

I'm going to do the one touch that unlocks alll the doors, the 2 beeps on the rear door, hold off on the rear entertainment, and ask for the cargo net and trunk mat. I've also heard some comments that the Michelan tires are better than the Goodyear. Jeffknet, What tire pressure do you suggets on the Michelans? However, I'm not sure if it is worth it to have the dealer make the swap. Do I have it right that the air tuned suspension can be adjusted to lower when the passenger gets in without a dealer modification?

In terms of modifications any thoughts:

1) Dealer claims can put in a V60 motorola that is integrated with the speaker system. It just slides into a well palced craddle.

2) I'd like to get satellite radio but don't want to add a big ugly unit. Any thoughts on if our system might be upgraded or if satellitle can be added easily.

3) I'm still torn about what do do with the rear entertainment system.

thanks Bob
Old 07-08-03, 04:04 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

Bob,

recommended psi depending on tire and wheel size ranges from 30-35psi
Old 07-08-03, 05:37 PM
xsfo
Pole Position

I'd hold off on the Motorola v60. You can have installed later. I don't think the dealer v60 is actually a Lexus product. Last I heard Lexus doesn't currently make a Lexus branded cellphone kit, certainly not the v60. In other words it sounds like it's aftermarket. Nowadays you can get car cradles that mute the speakers by a special connecting harness. Anyway you should instead pick a cellphone provider first and then see which phones are available. Not the other way around. There may be other phones that suit your needs better and that v60 setup would be a waste.

If you can find a good installer, I'd suggest going with an aftermarket DVD system that has headrest mounted screens. I mean if you're serious about getting the DVD, individual screens are so much better than the single overhead screen. And if you're not really serious, I suggest not getting the factory unit. It's just extra cost.
Old 07-09-03, 07:31 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Default Sunroof

Check to make sure your sun roof is programmed properly. Mine (and a couple of others here) were not programmed for automatic operation. You can program it yourself, but the dealer should do it during prep.

John
Old 07-09-03, 06:14 PM
eisens
Rookie

Default What is automatic operation?

On the sunroof? What does that mean?
Old 07-10-03, 03:40 AM
cmstahl
Rookie

Another thought about things that need to be programmed, although this might need to be done by you rather than the dealer. If you store your car in a garage with an automatic door opener, you might want to dig up the owner's manual for the door ahead of time so you have the instructions on how to program a new opener with your unit so that you can program the HomeLink button(s). Depending on the type of door you may have, you might either just have to point your current garage door clicker towards the HomeLink button to program it, but I know with mine I had to open the actual garage door unit on the ceiling and put the unit in a kind of "learn" mode for it to recognize the HomeLink button. Just something you might want to look at ahead of time, so you're ready when you bring it home.
Old 07-10-03, 07:17 PM
eyebike
Driver

And bring your garage door opener, so they can program the home-link buttons in the Rx.
Old 07-11-03, 05:22 AM
cmstahl
Rookie

Eyebike --

That's why I suggested he take a look at the garage door documentation. If it's an older garage door opener, then the dealer can probably do it. If it's a newer one that uses rolling codes, he might have to put the garage door unit in "learn" mode to program the HomeLink.
Old 07-14-03, 08:08 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Default Re: What is automatic operation?

Originally posted by eisens
On the sunroof? What does that mean?
When I got my 330, the sunroof didn't automatically open or close by holding the switch (one-touch). Here's a post from a previous thread (from LexusLover).

-----------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by j4ydubs

I do think I have a problem with the sun roof controls though. I need to check the manual, but I can't get it to auto open. And closing it is touchy. It starts to open (tilt) right after it closes. In my mind, I should be able to make a solid seal without it starting to open again.

John
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

j4ydubs - this is not a problem. the RX330's came from the factory that way, it was up to the dealers to program them prior to delivery. i thought it was busted too and that whole tilt thing was weird. my dealer could not figure it out when i took delivery the day after it arrived from port, but he figured it out soon after that. here are the instructions to auto program yourself:

"Hold the slide button and let it open and shut and continue to hold for 10 seconds after and it should program."

I think you have to slide it open, hold for 10 sec, and then slide it closed, hold for 10 secs. After that, let it go and then your one-touch sliding AND your one-touch tilt will be programmed and ready for use. I did it a while back and it worked beautifully!