RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2004 RX330 Overheating When Not Moving and AC Blows Hot Air

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18 | 10:24 AM
Efussander
Driver School Candidate

Default 2004 RX330 Overheating When Not Moving and AC Blows Hot Air

Hello All.

I have a 2004 RX330 with 180k that has treated me well over the years. However, recently she’s been giving me some trouble.

If I start the car and am sitting in a parking lot, at a red light, or in stop-and-go traffic, the car will start to smell burnt and the water temp needle will climb all the way to H. At the same time, as long as the car is not moving or not moving quickly, the AC blows only warm or hot air. As soon as I start driving, the engine starts to cool down and the AC starts blowing icy air.

When I look at the radiator fans, they aren’t spinning at all, even when the temp starts climbing. I have checked the fuse (fine) and also tried removing the temperature sensor which should force the fans on but that had no effect. Oddly the fans themselves seem to be fine because weirdly, if I give one of the fans a flick with my finger, it will spin up for a few seconds and then shut off again.

As as for the AC, the coolant must be fine for me to get icy air while moving. Both issues seem to be tied together because they appeared at the same time and they occur in conjunction.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot would be much appreciated.

Thank you all.
Old 05-01-18 | 11:30 AM
bgalarpe
Driver School Candidate

Jump a power and ground wire to power each fan to make sure they are both working. If they spin then check your fan relay ( the box attached to the fan shroud).
Old 05-01-18 | 12:11 PM
Efussander
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bgalarpe
Jump a power and ground wire to power each fan to make sure they are both working. If they spin then check your fan relay ( the box attached to the fan shroud).
Thanks bgalarpe. One fan works when hard wired to the battery, one does not. Would one fan not working cause both fans not to work? How would I check the relay?
Old 05-01-18 | 01:19 PM
Mesquite77
Advanced

Removing the fan shroud is not too hard a DIY job (be careful not to break radiator filler neck on driver's side when pulling it out). When I had mine out, each fan runs when hard wired on its own.
Old 05-02-18 | 05:32 AM
OG Member
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Efussander
Hello All.

I have a 2004 RX330 with 180k that has treated me well over the years. However, recently she’s been giving me some trouble.

If I start the car and am sitting in a parking lot, at a red light, or in stop-and-go traffic, the car will start to smell burnt and the water temp needle will climb all the way to H. At the same time, as long as the car is not moving or not moving quickly, the AC blows only warm or hot air. As soon as I start driving, the engine starts to cool down and the AC starts blowing icy air.

When I look at the radiator fans, they aren’t spinning at all, even when the temp starts climbing. I have checked the fuse (fine) and also tried removing the temperature sensor which should force the fans on but that had no effect. Oddly the fans themselves seem to be fine because weirdly, if I give one of the fans a flick with my finger, it will spin up for a few seconds and then shut off again.

As as for the AC, the coolant must be fine for me to get icy air while moving. Both issues seem to be tied together because they appeared at the same time and they occur in conjunction.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot would be much appreciated.

Thank you all.
You seem to have similar symptoms...here is a link to my thread with a possible solution:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...erheating.html

If the above doesn't solve your issue, there are several affordable solutions (under $150) which replace the entire radiator fan and condenser cooling fan assembly.

Last edited by OG Member; 05-02-18 at 05:36 AM.
Old 07-07-18 | 02:01 PM
RA052923
3rd Gear

I also have a 2004 RX330 - 178,000 miles with similar symptoms. When in stop and go traffic, the car would overheat. I catch it fast enough and turn the heater full blast enabling the engine to cool. With the A/C on full blast neither fans were working! I tested both fans and found the passenger not working. Since the driver side fan worked I assumed the fan control module was not functioning. I decided I needed to replace both the Fan and the fan control module.

I did some internet searching and found I could purchase a compatible Fan Shroud with both Fans and the fan control module from Auto Parts Avenue Inc, on eBay Motors.
With the help of YouTube and three hours, I successfully replaced the Fan Shroud, et al. I did a reset of the ECU by removing the EFI and ETCS fuses. I waited a few minutse to re-install.
I turned the car on with A/C full blast. Both fans were working! I thought I had it fixed. Now my issue is 'Both fans are on all the time'. As soon I turn the key to 'On', without the engine running, the fans are both running.
The good news is the car will not overheat. The down side will be seen in winter. Will this impact my battery?

This morning I banged the non-working old fan with a small hammer. Now both old fans are working! Is my old fan control module good? Is my new fan control module working correctly? Should I switch out the fan control module.
Is this problem something else I'm not aware of?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated

Last edited by RA052923; 07-07-18 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Misuse of ECU
Old 07-07-18 | 06:12 PM
OG Member
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dreiding
I also have a 2004 RX330 - 178,000 miles with similar symptoms. When in stop and go traffic, the car would overheat. I catch it fast enough and turn the heater full blast enabling the engine to cool. With the A/C on full blast neither fans were working! I tested both fans and found the passenger not working. Since the driver side fan worked I assumed the fan control module was not functioning. I decided I needed to replace both the Fan and the fan control module.

I did some internet searching and found I could purchase a compatible Fan Shroud with both Fans and the fan control module from Auto Parts Avenue Inc, on eBay Motors.
With the help of YouTube and three hours, I successfully replaced the Fan Shroud, et al. I did a reset of the ECU by removing the EFI and ETCS fuses. I waited a few minutse to re-install.
I turned the car on with A/C full blast. Both fans were working! I thought I had it fixed. Now my issue is 'Both fans are on all the time'. As soon I turn the key to 'On', without the engine running, the fans are both running.
The good news is the car will not overheat. The down side will be seen in winter. Will this impact my battery?

This morning I banged the non-working old fan with a small hammer. Now both old fans are working! Is my old fan control module good? Is my new fan control module working correctly? Should I switch out the fan control module.
Is this problem something else I'm not aware of?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated
A couple of questions + statement/recommendation:Fairly simple remove and replace procedure.

Please do update us, once you find a solution!
Old 07-07-18 | 07:09 PM
RA052923
3rd Gear

Sorry. et al implies everything else. I did buy and replace the whole unit. Both fans and the fan controller. I just don’t know why both fan spin when I turn the key to the ON position. The engine is cold. It’s good the fans work, but not all the time.
Old 07-08-18 | 06:21 AM
OG Member
Lead Lap

Sorry. et al implies everything else. I did buy and replace the whole unit. Both fans and the fan controller. I just don’t know why both fan spin when I turn the key to the ON position. The engine is cold. It’s good the fans work, but not all the time.
Ah, okay! Many thanks for clarifying. I was under the impression that the fan motors had not been replaced as they were not mentioned.

Maybe swap out the new fan controller with your old fan control module, then double check the fan relay (I believe it's labeled as CDS Fan) as these could have been damaged pre-assembly replacement?

Last edited by OG Member; 07-08-18 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-08-18 | 10:18 AM
RA052923
3rd Gear

I swapped the old fan controller with the new one. Surprisingly the fans were NOT on with the key in the ON position. With the car running both fans ran when the A/C was at full blast. With the heater in full blast, only driver side fan was on. Looks like my problem is solved. I purchased a defective fan controller.
Old 07-08-18 | 04:02 PM
OG Member
Lead Lap

I swapped the old fan controller with the new one. Surprisingly the fans were NOT on with the key in the ON position. With the car running both fans ran when the A/C was at full blast. With the heater in full blast, only driver side fan was on. Looks like my problem is solved. I purchased a defective fan controller.
Happy to read the problem is solved! Many thanks for updating!