RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

rollover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-03, 12:13 AM
o8yb
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rollover?

Hi all,

I just bought a 2004 RX330 AWD Silver/black last week. I got it for about $2000 off MSRP (I am really lucky because most buyer in my area can't even get a dollar off MSRP) .

My wife loves the car. I like it but I am still not in love with it yet (please help me).

Since I have a 1990 Miata (my car) and a lowered 97 civic HB (her car), we have to pick an RX with performance package for us.

In term of handling, I know RX can't really compare to a Civic nor a Miata (which is 2" lowered as well ) I still like to corner in my RX a little bit faster (I don't want to drive it like a grandpa).

Before I have my RX, I never worry about rollover any car. Especially it is almost impossible to roll my Miata. If I set the air suspension to low, assuming I did not hit anything, will I roll an RX? How about emergency lane change? Can I do highspeed slalom/skidpad like in autocross/solo2?

If I can drive my RX and don't need to worry about rollover, I am sure I will be in love with it. Maybe I will take my RX to the next autocross event

Sam

2004 RX330 performance package ~7" ground clearance
1990 Miata base with ground control ~2.5" ground clearance
Old 07-11-03, 01:01 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You always have a risk of roll over with a car that has such a high CG (Center of Gravity) such as SUVs have. You can minimize it by keeping your sport suspension on the low setting like you mentioned. Also, better tire is always good as I found the stock tires to be too hard in compound and not very grippy. You can also widen the track of the car by getting rims with a lower offset so that the rims sit further apart from each other. You know that commercial? Wider is better Other than that, if you drive your RX in a reasonable manner you should have nothing to worry about. I'm like you. The RX330 is my wifes car and we don't even have the sports suspension. It took me about a week to adjust to driving high unstable SUVs. Like you, my car is an NSX so I'm used to the feeling of taking corners at high speed like the car is on rails. One thing I've learned is to be smooth with your driver input. Don't yank the steering wheel too fast in any direction. Fortunately I've never had an emergincy situation come up, so I can't really say how it would handle in that sort of situation. The high CG is one reason why I never liked SUVs in the first place. I do like my RX330, just it wound't have been my first choice but my wife wanted it. I am happy thus far though.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 07-11-03 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-12-03, 06:09 PM
eyebike
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had previously owned only sports sedans, so it was a bit unnerving at first driving the RX330 on windy roads. Although I have the performance package and used the L setting, I was unused to the body roll. I took some of curves much more slowly and felt unsure of myself. But after having the 330 for 3 months, I'm much more comfortable and in tune with the car. The body roll doesn't bother me anymore and I can take a the curves almost as fast as my other cars, even in normal mode. Most of the time, I don't even bother to use the Low setting.

But I still remember it's still a SUV, so I won't do anything really crazy. So overall now, I really enjoy the smooth ride and feel that it handles pretty well.
Old 07-15-03, 05:50 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure how much this counts but when I had the RX 330 as a loaner, while driving the freeway at 75-80mph something large came flying out of the truck in front of me and I had to make a very severe jolt to the right, more severe then any jolt I have ever made in any of my sedans. My GF thought we were going over but 5 seconds later she realized the truck wasn’t going anywhere, it was stuck to the ground with no hint of trying to roll over..