RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

evaporator drain tube location

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-18, 11:24 AM
clockguy10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default evaporator drain tube location

I have a 2006 RX400H with a musty smell. After much research on this forum and the web, I decided to use the foam cleaner on the evaporator. However, I am unable to locate the evaporator drain tube for this specific model. I saw on another thread where someone snaked the foam cleaner tube through the fan blower blades, but I don't really feel comfortable doing that. If someone could post directions and especially a photo of the drain tube, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-18, 11:29 AM
nwfsnake
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I am pretty sure if you remove the cabin filter you will have direct access to the evaporator core. Just spray the cleaner there and let it drop down through to the drain tube.
Old 05-24-18, 12:24 PM
clockguy10
Driver School Candidate

Well, I just stuck the foaming cleaner tube in through the fan blades and emptied the contents of the can. I'm pretty sure this was not the right thing to do as I did this 30 min. ago and still no puddle of water on the ground. BTW, I should say that I let the air run for 45 min. earlier to try to find the hose. No drips anywhere under the car. So I'm now thinking the drain is clogged?
Old 05-26-18, 09:52 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I've dealt with this a few times. What nwfs said is true, you can put the foam through the system from behind filter, but first, it's best to make sure the drain hose is unobstructed by putting some foam through it as well.
Book says to find it under car and go up it, never mind that. Go to passenger floor board and there is a panel on the console side of pass floor with 2 access plugs you unscrew with a flathead.
Remove the panel. Inside you'll see evap box and a 1/2" or so black drain hose connected to it. Unplug it, it just pulls off. Spray down it and you'll ensure it is clear and you'll get foam and liquid discharge on ground immediately. You can then spray foam up into box where the hose was connected, which cleans well. But I usually after clearing hose, put it back on and go down through from behind air filter as nwfs said, it really cleans entire coils that way.
I use evap coil cleaner from home depot for home ac's. 6$/can works great. Hope that helps.
Old 05-27-18, 05:17 AM
clockguy10
Driver School Candidate

Great. Thanks for taking the time to post with specific model instructions. I had the panel off once but was unsure about pulling the black tube out because when I tried to pull the right side (as you look at it) it seemed like I was pulling the rubber grommet out with it and I lost my nerve not really knowing what I was pulling out or how long the tube was. I'll grab another can at HD and slip the hose in from the left side to try the drain tube as you suggested.
Old 05-27-18, 09:24 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Take it off where it connects black tube to black box. On the left and upper end of the rubber pipe. Slide it off there. It has a small channel cut into pipe that slides onto a raised area on the box, you'll see what I mean once you remove. Spray down hose and up into box.
Old 04-11-19, 04:57 AM
occamsrzr
Driver School Candidate

Do you (or anyone else) have a picture of how to get to this from the top?
I have the issue with water hitting hte rear passenger footwell and I want to see if this is the culprit.
Not sure where I'm supposed to be going or how big a job it is to at least check the hose? Do I need to take the seats out / carpet up...etc
Old 04-25-22, 11:17 AM
BRnPA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by occamsrzr
Do you (or anyone else) have a picture of how to get to this from the top?
I have the issue with water hitting hte rear passenger footwell and I want to see if this is the culprit.
Not sure where I'm supposed to be going or how big a job it is to at least check the hose? Do I need to take the seats out / carpet up...etc
Revisiting this thread -
Looking to get the musty smell out of my son's '05 RX330 with some evaporator cleaner spray and cabin spray that goes through the fan & venting system.
Here's the (initial) procedure I'm contemplating:
1. Go under the car and find the evaporator drain hose. Attach a length of hose to it and blow through it to ensure it's not blocked;
2. Spray some evaporator cleaner through the hose and let it drain out;
3. From the cabin filter area - snake hose down between fan blades and spray remaining evaporator cleaner into that area;
4. Watch it drain under car.
5. Optional: Spray the vent deodorizer through the system via the vent intake(s) while cycling through AC air circulation settings.
Sound about right? Thanks.