RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Used RX recommendation - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-18, 05:27 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Used RX recommendation - advice needed

Hi all

Looking to buy a used RX350 for my elderly mother. She lives in MN so AWD, crashworthiness and reliability are the most important concerns

My budget is ideally US$10-12k but could stretch to $13k in a pinch. This puts into the 2006-08 model with 80-130k miles -- is there a sweet spot here (after major service)?

What I've picked up so far for major repairs is
1) Timing belt at 100k miles
2) Struts - what is the service interval here?
3) Steering rack - what is the service interval here?
4) Transmission good for 140-150k miles?

Open questions
1) How reliable / good is the AWD system in these cars?
2) Should I stretch to the 3rd generation (like a 2009-10 with high mileage)?
3) How is the body on rust? MN uses salt

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-30-18, 01:23 PM
numbafree
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been very happy with my 162k mile 2005 RX330. But I would go for the newer gen, pretty much always.

1) Timing belt at 100k miles - about that, all the service intervals, are typical toyota.
2) Struts - what is the service interval here? mine have 190k+ and seem to be fine.
3) Steering rack - what is the service interval here? There are known issues with the steering rack going bad, but mine was the pressure hose ($400 part or so), which had a leak.
4) Transmission good for 140-150k miles? flawless if you change the tranny oil regularly.

Open questions
1) How reliable / good is the AWD system in these cars? same thing if you change the transfer case oil and the rear diff when you are supposed to, it'll be fine.
2) Should I stretch to the 3rd generation (like a 2009-10 with high mileage)?
3) How is the body on rust? MN uses salt. I can't speak to that, I live in CA.
Old 05-30-18, 05:00 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by werewolf
1) Timing belt at 100k miles - No timing belt on the 350's (it's a timing chain), only on the 330's. Mine (2005 330) was a hefty cost but engine can go another 100K easily. For 350's make sure oil changes are done regularly as chain health depends heavily on oil.
2) Struts - what is the service interval here? - Hard to say unless you know the driving habits but my rule of thumb is about 100K to start looking into them.
3) Steering rack - what is the service interval here? - I've been lucky that mine as not leaked at about ~85K total miles as to date. But my old Highlander leaked at about 120K so I'm keeping an eye on the RX like a hawk.
4) Transmission good for 140-150k miles? - If a clean and regular service history of the transmission can be found, these things are basically bulletproof. But if they never changed the fluid ever or regular/heavy towing, could be a ticking time bomb.

Open questions
1) How reliable / good is the AWD system in these cars? - Mine is holding up well, it's pretty good for an AWD system but nothing compared to a Subaru in my experience. Keep the trans fluid and gearbox/differential fluid up to date and they're solid. Handles snow and some ice here in Chicago well, with the nasty storm we got this year this was the only car to get us anywhere out of the three I own in my signature.
2) Should I stretch to the 3rd generation (like a 2009-10 with high mileage)? - I really don't see any issue with any high mileage Toyota drivetrain as long it's been properly maintained and this can be proved. Those will be few and far between but maybe luck is on your side. I'm pushing ~200K on my current 2007 Camry, ~300K on my last Camry (still in the family), ~200K on my old Highlander. Regular fluid changes and just basic maintenance will go a long way with these cars.
3) How is the body on rust? MN uses salt - Not sure why but Lexus definitely holds up better than Toyota, my RX is showing some rust but nothing near my Camry, then again I garage the Lexus and the Camry is abused (go figure lol). With any car in the rust belt, just keep up with undercarriage rinses after use on salted roads.
I'd say $10-11K is your sweet spot, always allow slush funds for anything that may turn up. I bought my RX with ~70K miles and didn't think the timing belt was as bad as it was, ended up doing it with only a month or two of ownership.
Old 05-31-18, 04:50 AM
vesnyder
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in a similar hunt this Spring. Similar search criteria; high mileage, well maintained and $10-11k. Ended up with a 2007 RX 350 with 108k miles and paid $10.5k. It was clean (for the most part) and had a well documented maintenance history - up until the last 15k miles. The struts seem fine but am paying close attention to them. No current issue with the steering rack.It is a second car for inclement weather but hope to get at least another 5+ years out of it. I bought it because of the drivetrain history of these cars.

Good luck.
Old 06-02-18, 02:58 PM
rcannon409
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know what I've been doing, regarding the steering rack? The first time I changed it's fluid, it was in rough shape.

hi bought a dedicated, heavy dutynindustril squirt bottle. Now, every oil change, I suck out the fluid that is in the reservoir, and refill that portion with new. It takes five minutes, and im hoping it might let this last longer?
Old 06-02-18, 09:27 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by rcannon409
You know what I've been doing, regarding the steering rack? The first time I changed it's fluid, it was in rough shape.

hi bought a dedicated, heavy dutynindustril squirt bottle. Now, every oil change, I suck out the fluid that is in the reservoir, and refill that portion with new. It takes five minutes, and im hoping it might let this last longer?
Good plan. I do mine every 15k or so. Prob best not to open it too much. As for the steering rack, mine was replaced before I got it and it's holding good. No need to buy the rack anymore though, Toyota has an updated part # for just a seal kit with new o-rings, etc. to rebuild the passenger side of the rack where they all fail.
Old 06-02-18, 09:59 PM
DavidWebb
Driver School Candidate

I watched this guy did a full flush of the steering system

Old 06-05-18, 10:04 PM
caskibum
Driver School Candidate

I have similar criteria and purchased a 2005 and 2006 in the last year, 75k and 90k miles respectively. The 350 with timing chain starting in 2007 seems attractive, but I have read these are at risk of oil leaks that require a several thousand dollar tear down to repair. I'm not sure how common the 350 oil leak is, but figured I'd get one timing belt replaced if needed (myself), that will last to 200k miles and likely the life of the car for me.

Pampered cars with low mileage come up for sale in your price range every few weeks in northern California. However, there seem to be various sellers of low mileage cars who want cash and won't provide license plate or VIN number to allow buyer to pull up carfax reports. I have found a few of these where seller has rolled back the odometer, so I had to screen for these scammers.

I've been very impressed with the two RX 330's, a great value. I don't have any info on the other maintenance questions posed.
Old 06-05-18, 10:50 PM
DavidWebb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caskibum
I have similar criteria and purchased a 2005 and 2006 in the last year, 75k and 90k miles respectively. The 350 with timing chain starting in 2007 seems attractive, but I have read these are at risk of oil leaks that require a several thousand dollar tear down to repair. I'm not sure how common the 350 oil leak is, but figured I'd get one timing belt replaced if needed (myself), that will last to 200k miles and likely the life of the car for me.

Pampered cars with low mileage come up for sale in your price range every few weeks in northern California. However, there seem to be various sellers of low mileage cars who want cash and won't provide license plate or VIN number to allow buyer to pull up carfax reports. I have found a few of these where seller has rolled back the odometer, so I had to screen for these scammers.

I've been very impressed with the two RX 330's, a great value. I don't have any info on the other maintenance questions posed.
+1 on the odometer rollback. I was told that this is a common practice with a lot of used cars, especially on Craigslist.

If you have service records, that you can use the service records to cross check and see if the dates make sense.

The other danger with the rollback is that some cars have multiple computers and if they only rollback on one but not the other, something screwy can take place with your car....