RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Looking for a 07-09 RX 350 - questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 07:26 AM
professorm
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Looking for a 07-09 RX 350 - questions

Hey guys,

I am looking for a 07 - 09 RX 350, looking for around 90-110k miles. I am trying to stay around $10k or less. I am looking for an AWD version.

How are the AWD vs FWD? I am finding it a little challenging to find the AWD version in Virginia. Beach area. Is it even worth considering the FWD version? We get snow here 0, 1, 2, 3 times per year, and usually if its more than 3" or so, stuff will close down.

What are some of the things I should look for in purchasing one? What are some of the things that I should ask the seller about when purchasing?

I am fairly experienced in checking vehicles out. I am a car enthusiast. Someone rear ended me in my CRV 2 weeks ago, so now I am searching for a new vehicle. My choice was between the 07+ CRV and the 07+ RX 350.. I like that the 350 now has timing chain versus the belt in the 330.

Is there any other advantages of the RX 350 over the 330?
What are the problem areas? How is maintenance costs on it?
I am coming from Accord and CRV ownership for my lifetime, so I am used to really easy repairs that I do almost all myself, and affordable genuine parts.

Old 07-09-18, 09:12 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by professorm
Hey guys,

I am looking for a 07 - 09 RX 350, looking for around 90-110k miles. I am trying to stay around $10k or less. I am looking for an AWD version.

How are the AWD vs FWD? I am finding it a little challenging to find the AWD version in Virginia. Beach area. Is it even worth considering the FWD version? We get snow here 0, 1, 2, 3 times per year, and usually if its more than 3" or so, stuff will close down.

What are some of the things I should look for in purchasing one? What are some of the things that I should ask the seller about when purchasing?

I am fairly experienced in checking vehicles out. I am a car enthusiast. Someone rear ended me in my CRV 2 weeks ago, so now I am searching for a new vehicle. My choice was between the 07+ CRV and the 07+ RX 350.. I like that the 350 now has timing chain versus the belt in the 330.

Is there any other advantages of the RX 350 over the 330?
What are the problem areas? How is maintenance costs on it?
I am coming from Accord and CRV ownership for my lifetime, so I am used to really easy repairs that I do almost all myself, and affordable genuine parts.
In my neck of the woods you can't find an RX without AWD, then again I live in NE and NW Ohio where we can get 1 foot of snow and sleet - in April.

I would definitely consider the FWD versions unless you have to deal with some serious mud and sleet. The FWD version is also supposed to get 1-2 mpg better mileage than the AWD version.

The RX350 has the advantage that it has the timing chain instead of the timing belt - which means it doesn't have to get a timing belt replacement every 90-100k miles.

As far as maintenance - it depends on where you plan on getting it serviced. You will pay through the nose if you only consider having maintenance done at the Lexus dealership.

But if you can take it to an indy shop that specialized in Toyotas, you can probably swing annual maintenance cost down to less than $1000 per year with most of it spent on labor cost

If you can do all the maintenance yourself (oil changes, brakes, tires, part replacement) you can probably go down to about $200-300 a year on oil, air filter, and brakes.

Last edited by ToledoRX; 07-10-18 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-09-18, 11:14 PM
tomr51
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts

ypur quote "The RX350 has the advantage that it has the timing belt instead of the timing chain - which means it doesn't have to get a timing belt replacement every 90-100k miles." should read rx350 has a timing CHAIN.
The following users liked this post:
ToledoRX (07-10-18)
Old 07-10-18, 06:19 AM
mtlrx
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

professorm, I too come from a Honda back ground, Civic, Accord, Odyysey, CRV, worst one was the Odyssey, engine and trans issues, unloaded it to the dealer on a trade in. 2010 Accord has been flawless except rear brakes wear quick and it consumes a bit of oil.
On to topic, in relation to the Honda back ground, the biggest shock for me is the price of parts. Lexus parts are expensive relative to Honda, getting part numbers and cross referencing to Toyota may help a bit. Searching for a used part is difficult, likely due to fewer units compared to Honda, and likely due to less being scrapped.
Personally I have had little to do in the line of repairs, but reading a lot and familiarizing myself with the vehicle, I would have the entire suspension and steering evaluated prior to purchase. It seems the steering rack may be subject to leaks, and the rear suspension bushings wear, causing alignment and tire wear issues. It appears there is a replacement bushing available to held solve that,
Old 07-10-18, 01:38 PM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in the Tidewater area and bought a 08 RX last year. AWD. It handled the big snow we had last winter really good till it got to 8 inches and more.
The RX doesn't have the ground clearance to go into deeper snow. As far as working on the vehicle, the engine compartment is really crowded.
Changing plugs is best left to a shop. But, I feel like the RX is going to be very dependable for me. I had Browning's Alternator change out my pulleys, tensioner,
belt, and rebuild the alternator. Preemptively. Bought it with 140K and I know certain items don't last on cars. It has been a great vehicle for me so far.
Gas mileage kinda sucks. 18 to 22. I purposely didn't get one with the NAV. System is too old. My Garmin works great and I can update it for free.
Old 07-10-18, 07:27 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I used to drive a Toyota, so I think that service and maintenance cost for the Lexus RX is similar to maintenance cost for a Toyota. It's only when you take it to Lexus dealership for service that the maintenance cost becomes high.

If you stick to an independent maintenance shop (not one of the nation chains) and do your own maintenance, it shouldn't be that much more expensive than maintaining a Honda, maybe a few hundred dollars a year ($200-300 per year mostly for oil, filters, and brakes).

One thing though I try to stick with Lexus/Toyota OEM parts whenever possible. I think that quality is as high if not higher than aftermarket parts that I can buy from Walmart or one of those chain stores.

In my opinion, it's better to spend the extra $20-$100 to get higher quality parts than to have it fail and cause more problems or have an aftermarket part that doesn't fit properly.