RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

front wheel hubs & bearing? or just quality bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-18, 11:58 PM
sertimins
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default front wheel hubs & bearing? or just quality bearings?

Hello folks,
Any reason we need to replace the wheel hub? Do they go bad? I understand if it was an assembly, make sense to replace the whole thing but for the RX330 FWD, bearing need to be pressed out/in. I wonder I should invest in getting higher quality bearings rather then spend on the wheel hub kit.
Why do the hubs need replacing?
Old 07-21-18, 07:58 AM
Audiqv8
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Difficulty in getting the old bearing race off is the only reason to replace the hub. Replacing the strut if removing the old bearing is too difficult or the strut is damaged.

Are you a DIYer? If you do most of your work yourself, then I would invest in good bearings and tools. I use the OTC Hub Grappler to remove the wheel hub. You can buy the Grappler by itself on Amazon for $140.00

Last edited by Audiqv8; 07-21-18 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-21-18, 07:01 PM
sertimins
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Audiqv8 for your tip. I will do my own replacement. I was leaning toward getting 6 ton press from Harbor but final decision was to take the risk with

Amazon Amazon

Will borrow 30mm socket, hub puller from autozone.
I hope to have a better luck then the dude in the video. I'll have penetrating oil and torch ready. I'm just replacing the bearing, going with Timkin.
Old 07-22-18, 06:35 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 203 Posts

This is financial and safety decision.
Variable 1: cost of the entire new hub assembly + time to replace it + cost of tools. No matter if it is DIY or taken to shop, time is worth what it is worth.
Variable 2: cost of new bearing+time to replace it+cost of tool necessary to do the job x possibility of something not going right when DIY.
Variable 2 has sub variables:
- rent tool
- take removed hub to a nearest shop that has press, pay nominal amount, usually around $10-20, to have it done by their staff. In this case, "x DIY going wrong": coefficient is significantly less. Also, this involves subvariable: - ownership or rental of tools that are required to remove hub+vehicle to take to shop+ know how and skill+time to do this
- buy tool that will be used basically once then becomes depreciating item on the shelf.

There is another hypothetical yet very significant consideration.
It is a hub. Hub bears entire that end vehicle weight on it. Vehicle carries passengers. Kinetic energy is K.E. = 1/2 m v2 .

Last edited by ukrkoz; 07-22-18 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-22-18, 07:54 PM
KonaRX
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I just did this. See my recent post: 2007 RX350 Front wheel bearings DIY. I replaced the entire steering knuckle assembly. But I live in a super expensive area so you can probably take off your steering knuckles and take them to your local shop to press off old bearings, grind off the races, press in new bearings and voila. I highlighted the steps if you reuse your steering knuckles because there really isn't a need to replace them unless they are damaged. Or you live in Kailua-Kona where shops are INSANELY expensive. Like, outer worldly expensive.
For reference, a loaf a bread (not on sale) at the grocery store costs $8.00. Yes, US dollars. Good luck !
Old 07-25-18, 03:46 PM
sertimins
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KonaRX
I just did this. See my recent post: 2007 RX350 Front wheel bearings DIY. I replaced the entire steering knuckle assembly. But I live in a super expensive area so you can probably take off your steering knuckles and take them to your local shop to press off old bearings, grind off the races, press in new bearings and voila. I highlighted the steps if you reuse your steering knuckles because there really isn't a need to replace them unless they are damaged. Or you live in Kailua-Kona where shops are INSANELY expensive. Like, outer worldly expensive.
For reference, a loaf a bread (not on sale) at the grocery store costs $8.00. Yes, US dollars. Good luck !
Thanks KonaRX for your reply. I just did my bearing last night. I avid the dealer and shops as much as I can so I bought a bearing puller on amazon. Lot of torching, pound with hammer and grinding. Took me 8 hours! My fingers all sore and not feeling satisfied due to forgetting to install the dust cover and probably damaged the new bearing since it was my first try. Worse thing is the humming sound is still there and looking at the bearing, amazingly clean (no scratches) for a 12yr old car. I'm still contemplating if I should replace the right bearing. Bearing currently in my freezer.