RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

After Market & Long-term Ownership RX 350 Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-18, 08:15 AM
NOVARX300
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default After Market & Long-term Ownership RX 350 Recommendations

As you can see in my signature below, just upgraded from my 2003 Lexus RX 300 with 115k miles to a 2009 RX 350 with 37k miles - very happy! The short story is I advised my mom to get the RX 350 in 2009 after enjoying my RX 300. She can't drive anymore so she gave her low mileage RX 350 to me. I sold my low mileage and well taken care of RX 300 (thanks to Club Lexus) to an appreciative new owner. I just finished a "bucket list" two week trip with my son going to national and ball parks while bringing the car from CA to VA. BTW, for those doing long trips, RoadTrippers.com is awesome!

I plan to keep this RX 350 for many years since I only put around 5,000 miles a year on a car.

1) Any recommendations on aftermarket improvements for RX 350s? This RX 350 doesn't have the Navigation package so that might give you insight into my model/version. BTW, one aspect I liked better about the RX 300 was the center console compartments. I prefer the older hidden bottom drawer and main drink holders in the RX 300. The RX 350 options, although they look better, don't seem to work as well.

2) Gas: I drove the car across the country without seeing the "Premium Gas" indicator on the gas cap. Just saw that this morning. I used 87 in my RX 300 the entire time and never experienced any issues. I did use synthetic oil for oil changes over the last 5-7 years.

3) Any guidance on expected major maintenance issues or items to consider for long-term ownership? The RX 350 was garaged and obviously not driven a lot so it spent little time in the California sun. I've seen reference to a cracking dashboard issue. Was that a recall item?
Old 09-06-18, 11:41 AM
elboy123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same RX without navigation. If you would like bluetooth capabilities so you can stream from you iPhone or android device then I suggest the following radio kit. Its easy to install and it even comes with microphone for handsfree phone calls.

https://www.gtacarkits.com/product/l...phone-aux-kit/

I swapped all my interior and exterior light bulbs for the led type. They look so much better and brighter than stock. I posted the link so you can see the options.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehi...1408&year=2009

I say use the recommended premium gas only or else you will experience engine knock or pinging.

Also check the steering rack for leaks. Your car has low miles, so im sure is still pretty good.
Old 09-07-18, 12:43 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Amazon Amazon
KNIVO will do just fine for Bluetooth streaming and hands free.
Cell phone with WAZE app on it will outperform any non constantly updated nav hands down. I literally never use factory nav and it's fancy waste of money.
As of gas... You lose about 5 horse powers on regular gas. Does it make that much difference? Otherwise, it's up to you. I seriously doubt you will have any issues and, for 2012, same engine already was downgraded to 87 gas anyway... But it's your car.
Old 09-08-18, 12:31 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 289 Likes on 250 Posts

To weigh into the regular/premium gas controversy, I use 87 in my 2007 RX. I did a road trip to Yellowstone with many other stops, doing places like Pike's Peak 14,100 ft, Grand Canyon north rim 8,000 and a bunch other places in between. Never had pinging. Only thing I noticed was loss of power when passing when the altitude was over 5,000 feet.
Old 09-08-18, 12:15 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 168 Posts

1) Any recommendations on aftermarket improvements for RX 350s? This RX 350 doesn't have the Navigation package so that might give you insight into my model/version. BTW, one aspect I liked better about the RX 300 was the center console compartments. I prefer the older hidden bottom drawer and main drink holders in the RX 300. The RX 350 options, although they look better, don't seem to work as well.

Here are some simple mods I did to my RX330:
1. WeatherTech floor liner for front and back rows
2. OEM Lexus trunk mat (I find Weathertech too thin compared to Lexus)
3. WeatherTech Window visors
4. Generic eBay running boards
5. LED conversion on interior lights, license plate lights, reverse lights, and running lights above the high beam/DRL. The brake lights and turn signals are monitored by CANBUS/relays so changing them to LED will throw "bulb out" lights/errors unless you use load resistors.

Harder mods I did:
1. Viper 4706V 2-way remote start
2. GROM bluetooth/usb integration for factory radio w/Nav

In your case, I'd suggest getting an aftermarket 7" headunit with carplay and/or android auto. It will rejuvenate the feel and functionality of the car. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the factory Nav until GROM's VLine comes down in price.

2) Gas: I drove the car across the country without seeing the "Premium Gas" indicator on the gas cap. Just saw that this morning. I used 87 in my RX 300 the entire time and never experienced any issues. I did use synthetic oil for oil changes over the last 5-7 years.

Modern day luxury cars including Lexus will run on any grade gas, I believe it is a US law for automakers to make their cars compatible with all grades offered in the US. But at the sacrifice of power and fuel efficiency. I noticed personally my 330 doesn't play well with 87, I only put 93 from Costco in it. But this is your pick.

3) Any guidance on expected major maintenance issues or items to consider for long-term ownership? The RX 350 was garaged and obviously not driven a lot so it spent little time in the California sun. I've seen reference to a cracking dashboard issue. Was that a recall item?[/QUOTE]

Recall for cracked dash is over now, I missed it myself and a crack just started for me.......

350 doesn't have as many problems I know of compared to the older 330's, you are especially lucky there is not timing belt which cost me a good chunk to have done. Just keep up with regular maintenance and that engine will last.

Also if your 350 has the tow package, make sure both the VVTi oil line and oil cooler is up to date, not sure if the recalls are still in effect.

Old 09-08-18, 06:57 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 289 Likes on 250 Posts

If your RX is a 2009, it is still covered for the dash and oil pipes. The dash and oil pipes are not a recall, they are an extended warranty, which is a big difference to Toyota/Lexus. A recall is mandatory and the company must track down the cars and fix them. A warranty is less expensive. If the customer doesn't complain, the company doesn't have to fix it.

The extended warranty on the dash, the VVTi and the oil cooler is a 10 year warranty from when the car was first put in service. Unless you got one of the very first 2009s, you are still covered.
Old 09-10-18, 07:24 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-headunit.html

Added this to our 2008 non-nav RX350. Pretty happy with it, best part was no wiring, just plug and play. Took about 45 minutes to install, excluding adding the backup camera.