RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2006 rx400h front coolers

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18 | 08:09 AM
evosix
Driver School Candidate

Default 2006 rx400h front coolers

Hello Everyone,

I've got a small oily leak coming from the front radiators. I just got this car and haven't taken the bottom plastic cover off to investigate; will be doing that this weekend.

I can't seem to find a manual online but from my research and minimal visual inspection so far, I don't think this car has a transmission or engine oil cooler up front. I think the only thing that can produce a clear oily drip would be the AC condenser.

Pretty certain that this car does not have hydraulic power steering but instead it's electric with no fluid or coolers involved.

Any help or insight will be appreciated, I will update this thread with pictures and what I find when I open it up.

Thanks!

Last edited by evosix; 10-25-18 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-25-18 | 08:36 AM
Koolaid54
Driver

Originally Posted by evosix
Hello Everyone,

I've got a small oily leak coming from the front radiators. I just got this car and haven't taken the bottom plastic cover off to investigate; will be doing that this weekend.

I can't seem to find a manual online but from my research and minimal visual inspection so far, I don't think this car has a transmission or engine oil cooler up front. I think the only thing that can produce a clear oily drip would be the AC condenser.

Pretty certain that this car does not have hydraulic power steering but instead it's electric with no fluid or coolers involved.

Any help or insight will be appreciated, I will update this thread with pictures and what I find when I open it up.

Thanks!
sounds like the AC condenser.

Do an AC performance test and AC pressure test at ambient temp and running temp. This is a good indication if refrigerant is low, exactly how much. unknown unless you pull it all out. If it is low inject AC oil and dye into the system. let it run and grab your uv light and glasses and start looking at the leak
The following users liked this post:
evosix (10-26-18)
Old 10-25-18 | 11:37 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Yes, you do have electric power steering.
You also have two radiators, as PSD - Power Split Device - motor generators are cooled by inverter coolant, and that is closed circuit on its own, with its own radiator and coolant pump. But that is pinkish, not clear. FAr I know, transmission is splash lubrication only, ATF has no hydraulic function, so it does not really get hot, but that's red colored again.
The following users liked this post:
evosix (10-26-18)
Old 10-26-18 | 05:29 AM
evosix
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info everyone, turned out that it was the classic 100k radiator issue. It wasn't as pink when I checked earlier because it was dark out but confirmed in the daytime, also adding more coolant exasperated the issue, this coolant is a little slippery to the touch so I thought it had to be an oil

I ordered a new Koyo radiator, will be installing it this weekend, appears to be a pretty simple job.

I know everyone seems to recommend the original Toyota coolant, does anyone use the Autostore coolant?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 10-26-18 | 07:47 AM
Koolaid54
Driver

Originally Posted by evosix
Thanks for the info everyone, turned out that it was the classic 100k radiator issue. It wasn't as pink when I checked earlier because it was dark out but confirmed in the daytime, also adding more coolant exasperated the issue, this coolant is a little slippery to the touch so I thought it had to be an oil

I ordered a new Koyo radiator, will be installing it this weekend, appears to be a pretty simple job.

I know everyone seems to recommend the original Toyota coolant, does anyone use the Autostore coolant?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
you dont have to go with toyota red/prink coolant. as long as the coolant is compatible with ethylene glycol. however, toyotas formula is very different than aftermarket. Will it work yes, will it affect the logevity of the engine. maybe. will it sludge if mixed together like it would if it was dex cool. no.