RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2nd Gen RX ( one of the best looking RX generations )

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-18, 02:57 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 14RX350
I agree with that. Although i'm not a huge fan of the new styling, thats not what really turned me off. My experience with the dealerships, and unwillingness of Lexus corporate to take any responsibilty for them doesn't really make you feel confident getting a new car with them. When something goes wrong, whats to say the dealer wont just say sorry thats normal, or that's within operating conditions, or any other phrases that basically mean sorry your SOL.
My other problem with Lexus is their drop in quality. I want a car brand that is "pursuing perfection". They should be constantly looking to improve, not looking to see what they can save some money on by downgrading or taking out. That seems crazy to me that the cars from 20 years ago are better built than what they make today.
Totally agree, the new styling isn't whats going to deter me from buying a new Lexus, but the way the dealership seems to overcharge for basic maintenance items, while (in my opinion) trying to push totally unnecessary repairs is whats going to deter me from ever stepping foot on a Lexus dealership again.

If it was just an isolated incident with one Lexus dealership - then I can live with that and drive to another city for service. But from the posting on this forum, I don't think it's an isolated incident, and I do wish that Lexus corporate figures this out and stand behind their product better.

Telling the customer you are SOL once the warranty runs out and charging a premium on the labor while trying to "upsell" on expensive maintenance items will give a 'em a brief bump in profits but is a surefire way to alienate their customer base in the long run - but hey that's just my opinion.
Old 11-03-18, 03:32 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^I've had this happen once with a service advisor who is known for it. So now whenever I go to my dealer, I just request not to have him.
Old 11-03-18, 08:02 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ToledoRX
Totally agree, the new styling isn't whats going to deter me from buying a new Lexus, but the way the dealership seems to overcharge for basic maintenance items, while (in my opinion) trying to push totally unnecessary repairs is whats going to deter me from ever stepping foot on a Lexus dealership again.

If it was just an isolated incident with one Lexus dealership - then I can live with that and drive to another city for service. But from the posting on this forum, I don't think it's an isolated incident, and I do wish that Lexus corporate figures this out and stand behind their product better.

Telling the customer you are SOL once the warranty runs out and charging a premium on the labor while trying to "upsell" on expensive maintenance items will give a 'em a brief bump in profits but is a surefire way to alienate their customer base in the long run - but hey that's just my opinion.
That's a good point too. Just because I bought a lexus doesn't mean I dont still want a fair price. It's insulting how they sell the same exact parts at both Toyota and Lexus, but at a higher price at Lexus. What does that say to your customers... Because we see that you can afford a more expensive car were going to gouge you.
I'm sorry guys, I don't mean to badmouth them so much. I still think Toyota and Lexus are good cars. And of course each dealership is different. I'm just disappointed in these aspects compared to what I had expected.
Old 11-04-18, 07:31 AM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

All the service writers are on 100% commission
I see very high turnover in my local Lexus dealership
with the service dept. Those guys must be under extrene
pressure

As they say, “there is no free lunch or coffee or snacks “