RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Warning Lights on dials

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-18, 05:50 AM
Burroo67
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Warning Lights on dials

Morning All,

On Thursday I got an error message on the middle screen of the display stating "CHECK VSC SYSTEM", with an exclamation mark in a red triangle. The ABS light, Stability Control light and a light similar to the parking brake light, only in orange. I pulled into the side of the road and switched the car off, the lights were off when I started it again.

On Friday the lights were back on, even after I turned the car off and on, so I took it to my mechanic and he put it on the diagnostic thingy. It showed 2 sensor problems but he then asked if I had jump started the car recently. I advised I had installed a new battery 2 weeks ago and he said this can sometimes confuse sensors. He reset the sensors using his wee diagnostic machine and the lights did not come back on........until last night. I went out a short run (15 mins, 6-7 miles) and the lights came on and stayed on after a restart. Then I left the car for 10 mins and the lights were off when I drove home.

The car drives no differently, although I have noticed a slight pulse feeling through the brake pedal so there may be a high spot on a front disc. Not sure if that would cause the warning lights so any advice, as usual, would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 11-07-18, 10:16 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Or, it's your ABS acting up.
Scanner showed issue with ABS sensors, right? They need to be taken out and cleaned. That simple. For the front, it's about 20 min job per side. For the rear, I doubt they can be removed. Last I looked, they were integral hub part. Unless there is way and I do not know it.
Old 11-07-18, 12:42 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Unless there is way and I do not know it.
. IMPOSSIBLE!! I don't think there is anything that you don't know on these cars. I know you've helped me many times( directly and indirectly). The only thing i could add is that it may be possible to get in behind the ring on the rear hubs. There has to be some separation for the abs to work and although it may be hard to access , you might be able to get at it. When cleaning , you would just need to clean the sensor, no? Not the ring?
Old 11-08-18, 03:50 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Burroo67
Morning All,

On Thursday I got an error message on the middle screen of the display stating "CHECK VSC SYSTEM", with an exclamation mark in a red triangle. The ABS light, Stability Control light and a light similar to the parking brake light, only in orange. I pulled into the side of the road and switched the car off, the lights were off when I started it again.

On Friday the lights were back on, even after I turned the car off and on, so I took it to my mechanic and he put it on the diagnostic thingy. It showed 2 sensor problems but he then asked if I had jump started the car recently. I advised I had installed a new battery 2 weeks ago and he said this can sometimes confuse sensors. He reset the sensors using his wee diagnostic machine and the lights did not come back on........until last night. I went out a short run (15 mins, 6-7 miles) and the lights came on and stayed on after a restart. Then I left the car for 10 mins and the lights were off when I drove home.

The car drives no differently, although I have noticed a slight pulse feeling through the brake pedal so there may be a high spot on a front disc. Not sure if that would cause the warning lights so any advice, as usual, would be appreciated.

Thanks
You can invest an OBD Scanner and can diagnose and reset these to a certain extent.