RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Front differential

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-19, 05:17 PM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiqv8
Since you had a ps hose leak r u sure that the oil is gear oil? Gear oil is heavier than motor oil and it has a distinctive smell. The only way to be sure is to 1st remove the fill plug and see if there is gear oil coming out and you can also determine how low is the gear oil. If no oil comes out when you remove fill plug then remove the drain plug and capture the amount of oil from the transfer case. The transfer case holds just over one quart of oil. With the car, level replaces with new gear oil until the gear oil starts to come out of the fill hole. Repeat in a couple of months to see how much oil is leaking. You could try to find a shop that will rent a lift. I go to a DIY shop that rents lift at $18/hour and they usually include tools and a mechanic to help. This shop is also my indie mechanic who charge $70/hour.
yes; im sure that its not ps fluid; as both shops(the one that actually replaced the ps hose and a different shop that i usually go to) confirmed its the front transfer case that is seeping; the one on a rx350 thats right near the ps pump. its i believe down and slightly to the left i think of the ps pump when u are looking up at the ps pump from underneath. Plus the excess ps fluid that went all over was cleaned up.

Old 01-02-19, 08:20 AM
matts6887
Racer

Well took it to AAMCO to have them look at it and they are quoting 2500 to take it out and reseal it and or possibly have to put new bearings etc in it. Arrrgghhhhh!!! Why me!!!!
Old 01-02-19, 09:20 AM
Audiqv8
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
Well took it to AAMCO to have them look at it and they are quoting 2500 to take it out and reseal it and or possibly have to put new bearings etc in it. Arrrgghhhhh!!! Why me!!!!

Better do a little research on the shop. Use Yelp it can help. If it was my car I would have a mechanic drain and refill with fresh gear oil along with new crush washer for drain and fill plug. I purchased a Honda where the previous owner (or his mechanic) tries to reuse a crush washer for the transmission. He saw that it was leaking and tried to seal it with clear caulk. When I purchased the car I saw that it leaking transmission fluid for the CVT transmission. Drain the transmission, removed the caulk and purchased a new crush washer. It hasn't leaked in three years and I still drive it today.
Old 01-02-19, 01:01 PM
matts6887
Racer

Better do a little research on the shop. Use Yelp it can help. If it was my car I would have a mechanic drain and refill with fresh gear oil along with new crush washer for drain and fill plug. I purchased a Honda where the previous owner (or his mechanic) tries to reuse a crush washer for the transmission. He saw that it was leaking and tried to seal it with clear caulk. When I purchased the car I saw that it leaking transmission fluid for the CVT transmission. Drain the transmission, removed the caulk and purchased a new crush washer. It hasn't leaked in three years and I still drive it today.
forget it! I think at this point I’m looking towards a 3rd gen that has been thoroughly inspected by a Lexus dealer that doesn’t have high mileage to start with.
Old 01-02-19, 06:29 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

The issue on our RX that I was referring to is the same as the TSB below .... pretty well known and costly repair (~11 hours labor).

Old 01-03-19, 07:07 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Looks like they are trying to up sell you the bearings.
Toyota t-cases are close to bulletproof.
If they werent making noise even with the leak, why worry?
As long as there is fluid in it, those bearings will be fine.
But if you’ve already made up your mind, do what makes you satisfied.
Whatever path you go, you will spend no matter what to maintain or repair ANY vehicle.

Goodluck.
Old 01-04-19, 05:42 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

Your transfer case does not need new bearings unless it is making a whining "supercharger" sound. You purchased a over decade old car its going to need to work, grab some tools watch YouTube research and do it yourself.
The following users liked this post:
astowell (01-07-19)
Old 01-04-19, 08:15 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Your transfer case does not need new bearings unless it is making a whining "supercharger" sound. You purchased a over decade old car its going to need to work, grab some tools watch YouTube research and do it yourself.
no; there is no whining. And sorry but i do not have the tools to do it; nor do I have the $ to buy them. plus the reseal kit for these im sure isnt cheap either!.
Old 01-05-19, 09:42 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

no; there is no whining. And sorry but i do not have the tools to do it; nor do I have the $ to buy them. plus the reseal kit for these im sure isnt cheap either!.
My guess, the shop that talked about bearings is wrong. It will end up being something where a competent shop will install the new seal, button up the front transfer case and you will be good to go ... still pricey, but nothing near what you were quoted. Find a reputable independent that specializes in Toyota/Lexus and ask them to take a look.
Old 01-05-19, 03:56 PM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by cdnewton
My guess, the shop that talked about bearings is wrong. It will end up being something where a competent shop will install the new seal, button up the front transfer case and you will be good to go ... still pricey, but nothing near what you were quoted. Find a reputable independent that specializes in Toyota/Lexus and ask them to take a look.
i honestly don’t think it will matter at this point. Even if a independent shop looks at it I can just about guarantee u that it’s gonna be well over 1000 to do the reseal because again it requires that the whole effing trans has to be taken out just to get the transfer case out. And I dont have that kinda money!.
Old 10-09-20, 10:31 AM
Alka
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read through this thread and few others, I've got a leak in my front diff and it's where the front cover is so the shop is planning on taking the transfer case out and resealing it. Only issue is that they're quoting ~19 hours/$2800 to do the job, which seems exceptionally high based on the replies I've seen in this thread. Labor rate for shop is $145/hour. That seem about right to you guys or should I take it to another indy?
Old 10-09-20, 06:11 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

The Toyota independent I use charged ~$1500 to replace the front cover; $2800 seems pretty high. I would definitely call around and look for a shop that specializes in Toyota.
Old 10-12-20, 07:54 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 430 Posts

i honestly don’t think it will matter at this point. Even if a independent shop looks at it I can just about guarantee u that it’s gonna be well over 1000 to do the reseal because again it requires that the whole effing trans has to be taken out just to get the transfer case out. And I dont have that kinda money!.
If your transfer case is seeping, swap out the oil for a little heavier oil, use a 90/140 vs a 75/90.....Check it every so often.
Originally Posted by Alka
Read through this thread and few others, I've got a leak in my front diff and it's where the front cover is so the shop is planning on taking the transfer case out and resealing it. Only issue is that they're quoting ~19 hours/$2800 to do the job, which seems exceptionally high based on the replies I've seen in this thread. Labor rate for shop is $145/hour. That seem about right to you guys or should I take it to another indy?
$145/hour seems kinda high. Really depends on their location, thou....
Originally Posted by cdnewton
The Toyota independent I use charged ~$1500 to replace the front cover; $2800 seems pretty high. I would definitely call around and look for a shop that specializes in Toyota.
$1500. sounds like a good price if they dropped the engine/cradle assembly...If they jacked the motor up, then that seems a little high....Really depends on how they did it..It is a tight fit thou....