RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

thinking about going back to the other side

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-19, 08:23 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by BadDogMax
I maintain two 2nd gen RX's in the family. They are the most needy of any Toyota or Honda product I've had experience with. Not as needy as a Ford or Volkswagen though.

I experienced the PS hose failure, and oil seepage from gaskets at about 150k miles+. I've chosen to live with the seepage.

Figure if you keep the RX you'll likely have other common problems that have hit the RX's I look after. Problems I'v had with one or both cars: Alternator failure (passes bench test but fails to charge battery, both cars), Radiator leak, stop light switch under the dash fails lighting up the dash warning lights, wheel bearing noises, plugged sunroof drain causing wet floor, and at about 160k miles, valve cover gasket oil seepage which gets on the exhaust and smells even though it's a small amount.

Other than the radiator replacement and front wheel bearing change these were pretty easy to fix in the garage and not too expensive. But disappointing for a Toyota product IMO.

It's still a good car and I'd buy a newer one, or a MDX.
believe me if I only had the $ to get a new mdx or rx i would definitely consider it but shoot a new mdx with the tech pkg on it is like 55,000!!!! and a new rx with the mark levinson system and now led headlights etc etc is like 60,000+! and as far as the second gens being needy; Im starting to see that and would have never bothered signing papers for this one if I knew these issues among others were going to pop up. Im starting to feel like the second gens were no better than the first aside from the dreaded first gen transmission issues.
Old 01-07-19, 09:26 AM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
believe me if I only had the $ to get a new mdx or rx i would definitely consider it but shoot a new mdx with the tech pkg on it is like 55,000!!!! and a new rx with the mark levinson system and now led headlights etc etc is like 60,000+! and as far as the second gens being needy; Im starting to see that and would have never bothered signing papers for this one if I knew these issues among others were going to pop up. Im starting to feel like the second gens were no better than the first aside from the dreaded first gen transmission issues.
How many miles and where did you buy the car?
Old 01-07-19, 10:14 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
How many miles and where did you buy the car?
only 116. Which should be nothing for a Lexus second generation but I’m starting to see and think otherwise. Now what do I have to watch out for? Oil leaks which is a big problem as oil is the lifeblood of any engine? I’m just waiting for something like the oil light to come on and leave me stranded somewhere
Old 01-07-19, 10:31 AM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887

only 116. Which should be nothing for a Lexus second generation but I’m starting to see and think otherwise. Now what do I have to watch out for? Oil leaks which is a big problem as oil is the lifeblood of any engine? I’m just waiting for something like the oil light to come on and leave me stranded somewhere
these vehicles are not prone to major oil leaks. Regardless of what you drive, check your oil regularly. If you don't like the car, sell it, but fixing all its problems first doesn't make sense financially. I understand not wanting a car with problems, but vehicles 10 years old occasionally have some. Look up the vin on mycarfax and Lexus Drivers to see what service has already been performed on it.
Old 01-07-19, 10:40 AM
matts6887
Racer

these vehicles are not prone to major oil leaks. Regardless of what you drive, check your oil regularly. If you don't like the car, sell it, but fixing all its problems first doesn't make sense financially. I understand not wanting a car with problems, but vehicles 10 years old occasionally have some. Look up the vin on mycarfax and Lexus Drivers to see what service has already been performed on it.
the problem with that is it may not list all servicing that was done no matter where it was done. It may only show when and if it was done at a Lexus dealer like car fax because it’s on the Lexus site.
Old 01-07-19, 10:44 AM
matts6887
Racer

to add to this; the oil issues I’ve read about so far with these second generation rxs are that seepage can occur with the valve cover gaskets which can get to be a bigger issue if not addressed I would think. and I’m sure that’s not the only thing as evidenced by myself.
Old 01-07-19, 10:49 AM
matts6887
Racer

Sad but true I think it’s time to say goodbye to Lexus at least for quite sometime. These issues and others that I’m just about positive will happen that are not small will continue to happen which is why I say that I don’t think these second generation rxs are any better than the first generation rxs aside from the dreaded first generation transmission issues. These things have left a very sour and bad taste in my mouth and has turned me off and away from the Lexus brand for quite some time

Last edited by matts6887; 01-07-19 at 10:52 AM.