RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

thinking about going back to the other side

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-19, 06:03 PM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts
Default thinking about going back to the other side

After all the garbage I’ve had to endure with my rx as of late and that’s not even counting the transfer case that needs resealing which is a huge job as the whole transmission has to come out; not even counting that which hasn’t been done and may never be: as I’m thinking about totally abandoning the Lexus brand and going back to Acura as I had a Rdx for a number of years and loved it and had zero count zero issues and the things that did come up weren’t nearly as bad as the stuff I’ve had to endure as of late with this second Gen RX. I’m so tired of dealing with what seems like a complete money pit all the sudden. And enough is enough. I don’t have the time the patience or the money to keep dealing with this over and over and over again.

Last edited by kitlz; 01-05-19 at 04:12 AM. Reason: language
Old 01-04-19, 09:55 AM
matts6887
Racer

Default One giant headache

seriously considering going back to the Acura brand as I’ve had it w all the issues w this money pit that this rx has given me.its just been one thing after another after another. The latest of which my rx needs a 1900-2900 dollar transfer case resealing done. I’ve had it! My patience are gone!. I mean first it was my first Gen RX that needed a transmission and transfer case to be fixed. that ended my relationship with that one so we traded it in on this one. Now all this stuff keeps happening etc and I just don’t know if I can take it anymore.
Old 01-04-19, 01:13 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 168 Posts

Sad to see you go, but definitely go with what you're comfortable with. I'm the opposite of you, never going back to Acura, two TL's and both blew out their transmissions, not to mention the Gen 1 RDX in my family with the leaking turbo which we got rid of quickly.
Old 01-04-19, 05:43 PM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
Sad to see you go, but definitely go with what you're comfortable with. I'm the opposite of you, never going back to Acura, two TL's and both blew out their transmissions, not to mention the Gen 1 RDX in my family with the leaking turbo which we got rid of quickly.
i haven’t done that yet but I’m not that far away from doing it. I’m just effing tired of dealing with a few thousand dollars worth of crap that has gone wrong on my rdx all in a matter of just 2-3 weeks time!. I never had a issue with my rdx as mine was a gen 2. Just the normal maintenance stuff that came up from time to time. I’m just tired of it plain and simple! And this time I would go to a mdx not rdx as sometimes I need the extra room. I think Acura is just as good and that u just had bad luck with it. Most people I’ve heard from with the brand has had zero issues. And they are also less expensive to maintain and also don’t have to run premium gas like these second Gen Rxs do.
Old 01-04-19, 05:55 PM
matts6887
Racer

also I just thought about what might happen next!!! I mean it bad enough that my transfer case need to be resealed which is a enormous job that could take 3-4 days at least and cost serious money that I/we just don’t have! That’s bad enough but for my high pressure power steering hose to blow up on me at a cost of 800.00 and then to have 2 idler pulleys need to be replaced at almost 270 bucks is just enough!!! Now on top of this what if my transmission takes a crap like what happened with my first Gen RX! And or something like the water pump takes a dump leaving me stranded somewhere. I just can’t deal with it anymore.
Old 01-04-19, 07:18 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

how many miles are on the car?
Old 01-04-19, 08:48 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887

i haven’t done that yet but I’m not that far away from doing it. I’m just effing tired of dealing with a few thousand dollars worth of crap that has gone wrong on my rdx all in a matter of just 2-3 weeks time!. I never had a issue with my rdx as mine was a gen 2. Just the normal maintenance stuff that came up from time to time. I’m just tired of it plain and simple! And this time I would go to a mdx not rdx as sometimes I need the extra room. I think Acura is just as good and that u just had bad luck with it. Most people I’ve heard from with the brand has had zero issues. And they are also less expensive to maintain and also don’t have to run premium gas like these second Gen Rxs do.
I'd say do sooner than later as much as we would like you to stay. To me, your car will only keep giving you problems as it ages and you add miles to it and will only put a sour taste in your mouth the longer you keep it.

It's funny, I've rarely had any big issues with any Honda I've owned and if anything I could fix it myself for cheap. Acura on the other hand, bad luck chuck with me, I'd still try it again because I'm still in love with the UA7 Type S. But god I'm not going through hassle of blowing out another transmission. They don't make 'em like the old Legends anymore.

And really? I ran 93 on all my Acuras, they did feel better to me versus on 87 but this is purely subjective.

Originally Posted by matts6887

also I just thought about what might happen next!!! I mean it bad enough that my transfer case need to be resealed which is a enormous job that could take 3-4 days at least and cost serious money that I/we just don’t have! That’s bad enough but for my high pressure power steering hose to blow up on me at a cost of 800.00 and then to have 2 idler pulleys need to be replaced at almost 270 bucks is just enough!!! Now on top of this what if my transmission takes a crap like what happened with my first Gen RX! And or something like the water pump takes a dump leaving me stranded somewhere. I just can’t deal with it anymore.
Well, this is going to be the same with any car even Acura, you just don't know. You've already threw the Lexus brand under the bus so all I see is you waiting for something bad to happen so you can just keep ripping on it. Not going to change much besides your hatred for it. If anything I'll always put my money on a Acura/Honda transmission blowing out before a Toyota unless its the Gen1 RX300, probably Toyota's biggest fluke.

I maintain a fleet of cars alongside my own which includes a 2009 Odyssey and a 2012 MDX, and neither are even close to what you're describing your RDX was. But I'm not here compare apples to oranges, if I can get those cars back on the road and save my family money, it's all good in the hood.
Old 01-05-19, 08:32 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
how many miles are on the car?
116,000 give or take some.
Old 01-05-19, 08:45 AM
matts6887
Racer

I'd say do sooner than later as much as we would like you to stay. To me, your car will only keep giving you problems as it ages and you add miles to it and will only put a sour taste in your mouth the longer you keep it.

It's funny, I've rarely had any big issues with any Honda I've owned and if anything I could fix it myself for cheap. Acura on the other hand, bad luck chuck with me, I'd still try it again because I'm still in love with the UA7 Type S. But god I'm not going through hassle of blowing out another transmission. They don't make 'em like the old Legends anymore.

And really? I ran 93 on all my Acuras, they did feel better to me versus on 87 but this is purely subjective.

Well, this is going to be the same with any car even Acura, you just don't know. You've already threw the Lexus brand under the bus so all I see is you waiting for something bad to happen so you can just keep ripping on it. Not going to change much besides your hatred for it. If anything I'll always put my money on a Acura/Honda transmission blowing out before a Toyota unless its the Gen1 RX300, probably Toyota's biggest fluke.

I maintain a fleet of cars alongside my own which includes a 2009 Odyssey and a 2012 MDX, and neither are even close to what you're describing your RDX was. But I'm not here compare apples to oranges, if I can get those cars back on the road and save my family money, it's all good in the hood.
I dont believe the acuras are nearly as bad but this is just me. like i said i had a rdx that had zero issues apart from the normal maintenance items. And yours arent nearly what my rdx was because at the time mine was still close to brand new; mine was a 2011. By the time i had to get rid of it due to payments being through the roof unfortunately; it only had 58,000 on the clock. You must just had not such good luck with yours, My mom also had 3 different mdx's which were all leases But they too had zero issues. I had no transmission issues or anything of the like and neither did my moms vehicles. Like i said im just tired of all the bs and dealing with one thing after another after another. I am going to look at a 3rd gen rx today but i doubt anything will happen as far as making a deal on it. Plus Ive got others to look at etc and Ive contacted corporate where the car was bought because they should have caught this major issue of the transfer case needing resealing and more than likely in my book would have if they had bothered to do a more thorough inspection which we paid to have done by a lexus dealer before even signing papers for the vehicle. And like i said im just waiting for whats gonna happen next; where anything from a sensor(s) going bad causing a cel to come on to the water pump going out possibly leaving me stranded or anything in between. Im just beyond p.o'd with this vehicle currently because of all these issues etc
Old 01-05-19, 09:04 AM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know if you need to replace the car immediately or not but I'd recommend taking your time before you purchase. Sometimes you just get unlucky, but you can swing the odds in your favor by picking out a good make/ model / year, and finding one with the right mileage that relly checks out. I know that's what you're doing, I just want to emphasize to really take your time if possible.
Old 01-05-19, 03:50 PM
matts6887
Racer

Sometimes that’s easier said than done. I mean even with a inspection u don’t know what they may have overlooked that may be a problem either short and or long term.
Old 01-05-19, 05:25 PM
matts6887
Racer

Like I also said I’m just waiting any moment now for some to happen that will leave me possibly stranded somewhere like one or both radiator hoses blowing up on me spraying coolant everywhere and or the water pump taking a dump on me. or even the dreaded check engine light coming on on me. I mean it’s been 3 different things within 3 weeks time that have gone bad on this rx so im fearing what’s gonna happen next.
Old 01-05-19, 07:05 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't think anyone here is going to be able to help you. Seems like ur not really looking for advice, but just to complain.
The following users liked this post:
mnewxcv (01-05-19)
Old 01-06-19, 06:09 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by 14RX350
I don't think anyone here is going to be able to help you. Seems like ur not really looking for advice, but just to complain.
well I wasn’t necessarily looking for help on that per say but just had to vent a bit and was just wondering who else has had these kinds issues etc
Old 01-06-19, 11:07 PM
BadDogMax
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I maintain two 2nd gen RX's in the family. They are the most needy of any Toyota or Honda product I've had experience with. Not as needy as a Ford or Volkswagen though.

I experienced the PS hose failure, and oil seepage from gaskets at about 150k miles+. I've chosen to live with the seepage.

Figure if you keep the RX you'll likely have other common problems that have hit the RX's I look after. Problems I'v had with one or both cars: Alternator failure (passes bench test but fails to charge battery, both cars), Radiator leak, stop light switch under the dash fails lighting up the dash warning lights, wheel bearing noises, plugged sunroof drain causing wet floor, and at about 160k miles, valve cover gasket oil seepage which gets on the exhaust and smells even though it's a small amount.

Other than the radiator replacement and front wheel bearing change these were pretty easy to fix in the garage and not too expensive. But disappointing for a Toyota product IMO.

It's still a good car and I'd buy a newer one, or a MDX.

Quick Reply: thinking about going back to the other side