RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Transmission slow on 2-3 upshift

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-19, 09:24 PM
BadDogMax
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission slow on 2-3 upshift

Our 2005 with 160k miles has been doing a strange thing in the last year. It takes twice as long to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear as it does for all of the other gears.
With hard acceleration it seems ok, but the more gentle you are with the gas pedal, the longer the shift seems to take.

If I understand it correctly, with this transmission/engine combo the engine computer waits for the shift to complete before it accelerates in order to avoid damaging the transmission (common on RX300 models).

So what happens is that if you give it just a little gas, it will take about 1/2 second for the 1/2 shift, then 1 to 2 seconds for the 2-3 shift, then 1/2 second for the 3-4 shift etc.

And while the engine is waiting for the shift, there is an odd pause in engine revs which sometimes causes the driver to give it more gas and then the trans abruptly shifts to 3rd with a bump.

Ideas? Trans fluid has been flushed, and I just did it again this weekend (2X drain and fill, 4 quarts each, 100 miles of driving in between changes). The fluid does not look too bad and is at the factory level (a little over the HOT mark when idling in park and hot).

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by BadDogMax; 01-20-19 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-28-19, 10:04 PM
BadDogMax
Driver School Candidate

Bump. Anyone have any experience with this?

On the TacomaWorld forums, there are some transmission experts that post DIY tips for adjusting the different solenoids that control shifting. These can be accessed easily when the pan is removed. I'm hoping to find a similar guide for the RX but no luck so far.

Wife's RX330 trans works perfectly, except for the 2-3 upshift which feels very lazy. I'm hoping there is a relatively simple adjustment that could bring this shift back in line with the others.
Old 01-29-19, 12:56 PM
Koolaid54
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BadDogMax
Bump. Anyone have any experience with this?

On the TacomaWorld forums, there are some transmission experts that post DIY tips for adjusting the different solenoids that control shifting. These can be accessed easily when the pan is removed. I'm hoping to find a similar guide for the RX but no luck so far.

Wife's RX330 trans works perfectly, except for the 2-3 upshift which feels very lazy. I'm hoping there is a relatively simple adjustment that could bring this shift back in line with the others.
Our 2005 with 160k miles has been doing a strange thing in the last year. It takes twice as long to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear as it does for all of the other gears.
With hard acceleration it seems ok, but the more gentle you are with the gas pedal, the longer the shift seems to take.

If I understand it correctly, with this transmission/engine combo the engine computer waits for the shift to complete before it accelerates in order to avoid damaging the transmission (common on RX300 models).

So what happens is that if you give it just a little gas, it will take about 1/2 second for the 1/2 shift, then 1 to 2 seconds for the 2-3 shift, then 1/2 second for the 3-4 shift etc.

And while the engine is waiting for the shift, there is an odd pause in engine revs which sometimes causes the driver to give it more gas and then the trans abruptly shifts to 3rd with a bump.

Ideas? Trans fluid has been flushed, and I just did it again this weekend (2X drain and fill, 4 quarts each, 100 miles of driving in between changes). The fluid does not look too bad and is at the factory level (a little over the HOT mark when idling in park and hot).

Thanks in advance...
it sounds like one of the following. 2-3 solenoid is starting to go. or partial clog where in the 2-3 pressure line.
How are the downshifts from 3 to 2? are they delayed?

Last edited by Koolaid54; 01-29-19 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-30-19, 02:33 PM
BadDogMax
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for chiming in.

Downshifts seem normal, only upshifts are affected. Seems worse when the fluid is cold.
Old 02-06-19, 06:38 AM
PhilD83
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks in advance...
Add a can of seafoam to the transmission (some in the ps while you are at it). Uae amsoil signature atf. Worst case change ths trans filter. Seafoam should help.