RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2009 RX350 Spark Plugs Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-19, 06:09 PM
vchan2177
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2009 RX350 Spark Plugs Replacement

Today, I removed my daughter's 2009 Windshield Wiper Assembly and Metal Tray to determine if I have access to the rear spark plugs for a DIY replacement. Here are some photos that may help a DIY'er who may be interested in doing their own spark plug replacement:

Step 1: Remove 14 mm nuts to windshield arm and use a windshield removal tool.

Note the blue masking tape to mark the position of the wiper to ease reinstallation. The puller on the passenger side was easy.

The driver side was a PITA. Difficult to pull the wiper arm off. I had to cut the top plastic cover with a dremel tool.

Note the hook. You have to pull the weatherstripping to the side to unhook. Do not pull up because you will tear it up.

There are spring loaded tabs that attached the upper plastic cover to the bottom metal tray. Use your thumb or a screw driver to depress the tabs.

This is how I cut the upper plastic top with a dremel to remove the upper plastic top to allow my windshield puller to remover the driver side windshield. The hole was much too small to allow my tool to pull the wiper off. With this cut, I removed the top cover and then use the tool to remove the wiper. The Lexus is 10 years old so it was not a big deal to me. You cannot see the ugly cut with the hood closed . You do see it when you open the hood but most people probably do not care.

The electrical plug is tricky to remove because you have to depress under the plug to remove the electrical plug. Once the electrical plug is removed and removed from the bottom metal tray, there are five 10 mm screws to unbolt the windshield wiper motor.

Wiper Assembly removed with five 10 mm screws. Now you can remove the bottom metal tray. Once the wiper assembly is removed the fasteners to the bottom metal tray is obviousl.

Bottom metal tray and the fastneners. There are six 10 mm bolts plus four 14 mm nuts. The 14 mm nuts are to your struts. You will find one 14 mm to each strut DOES NOT have to be removed and this holds the alignment. Before removing the two 14 mm nut, make sure this remaining nut is tight!

Look Ma. No Tray! Lots of access. You can see the fire wall!

Easy access to the rear fasteners that holds down the intake surge tank. I now have much more confidence in a DIY job on the spark plug replacement. The driver side windshield wiper arm removal was a PITA. However, with easier access to the firewall and the fasteners to the intake and surge tank stays, this makes the job easier.

Final recommendation: Before tackling spark plug replacement on your 2009 Lexus RX350, you should consider investing in a windshield wiper arm removal tool. Remove the windshield wiper arms, the top plastic cover, the windshield wiper motor and bottom metal tray to determine whether you can change the plugs yourself or pay $500 to $800 for a mechanic to change out the plugs for you. The above job took me 2 to 3 hours but I had no guidance and I probably lost an hour learning. With these photos, an experienced DIY can probably do it in 1 to 2 hours. Look at your driver side windshield wiper arm first to determine the level of difficulty and decide whether you want to cut the top plastic cover to allow access.
The following 2 users liked this post by vchan2177:
BadDogMax (01-28-19), Samu22 (08-19-19)
Old 01-27-19, 07:41 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 297 Likes on 254 Posts

When i changed my spark plugs last year, I followed this howto -
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ug-change.html

It does not direct you to remove the windshield wiper cowl, but I was not able to get to the back of the intake manifold bolts. So I removed the cowling. It only took me 20 minutes tops. I didn't find it necessary to cut anything and I similarly did not use a puller tool on the wiper arms because I don't have one.

But having you take photos and posting a tutorial is a great thing. Thank you.
Old 01-30-19, 07:52 PM
evident
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks for the pics. I plan on tackling this job when it's not freezing out. All of the other info ice I've never mentioned a special tool for removing the wipers.

Along with the other thread mentioned, I watched this video series too
https://youtu.be/pMEmgINGfpI
The following users liked this post:
vchan2177 (01-31-19)
Old 01-31-19, 06:48 PM
vchan2177
Driver School Candidate

A windshield wiper removal tool only cost $15 to $20 on amazon. I have no idea how some DIY people managed to remove the wiper arm without this tool. The wiper arm is splined and I found them to be frozen after 10 years of use. I plan to do a spark plug replacement around April 2019 and I will post some photos.

I am glad to watch the YouTube provided by Mr. Evident. The job looks doable but like Mr. Ponyo Tran stated ....you must be patient.

I will buy a 12 mm swivel wrench to remove the PITA 12 mm bolt (which he threw away) but I will attempt to re-install this bolt. I am more concerned about cross threading the spark plugs so I will have to be super careful. I was surprised Mr. Ponyo Tran did not use anti-seize lubricant on the spark plug threads. In any case, this is not an easy job...but I had worst jobs.

I do appreciate Mr. Evident for sharing the YouTube video by Mr. Ponyo Than.

Last edited by vchan2177; 01-31-19 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-08-19, 06:43 AM
evident
Racer

Gonna take a stab this weekend. Wish me luck.
Old 02-08-19, 07:18 AM
Mesquite77
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
Gonna take a stab this weekend. Wish me luck.
Gl, I'm getting close to mileage for this too, let us know how it goes!
Old 02-08-19, 11:19 AM
Koolaid54
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vchan2177
A windshield wiper removal tool only cost $15 to $20 on amazon. I have no idea how some DIY people managed to remove the wiper arm without this tool. The wiper arm is splined and I found them to be frozen after 10 years of use. I plan to do a spark plug replacement around April 2019 and I will post some photos.

I am glad to watch the YouTube provided by Mr. Evident. The job looks doable but like Mr. Ponyo Tran stated ....you must be patient.

I will buy a 12 mm swivel wrench to remove the PITA 12 mm bolt (which he threw away) but I will attempt to re-install this bolt. I am more concerned about cross threading the spark plugs so I will have to be super careful. I was surprised Mr. Ponyo Tran did not use anti-seize lubricant on the spark plug threads. In any case, this is not an easy job...but I had worst jobs.

I do appreciate Mr. Evident for sharing the YouTube video by Mr. Ponyo Than.
that tool is not needed. PB blaster and let it soak. grab the wiper blades from the highest point on the wiper blade and work it out.

you dont want to use anti seize on spark plugs.
1 plug temps will just burn it off
2 changes the actual torque that is suggested.
Old 02-09-19, 01:24 PM
evident
Racer

Originally Posted by Mesquite77
Gl, I'm getting close to mileage for this too, let us know how it goes!
my driver side wiper was a major pita. Bought a wiper removal tool that didn’t fit. I ended up spraying pb blaster on it, smacked it with a mallet a few times and worked it off. Took about 1.5 hours to get that damn thing off. Wiper assy is removed now and I have access to the intake manifold.

edit: Just finished taking everything apart and replacing the spark plugs and ignition coils in the back three cylinders. Whoever designed this engine layout needs to be shot. This was one of the hardest jobs i've done as a weekend mechanic. The left most bolt is impossible to remove w/o removing the wiper cowl, and impossible without a swiveling ratchet wrench. After that, the huge a$$ wiring harness blocks you from being able to pull out the ignition coils freely, and there is no slack whatsoever!!!! There was a lot of $@#&$(*)#@&$#@$#@$%&^!#@!^$*(&#@(*$&#@ coming from the garage LOL. I was able to clean the throttle body, MAF, and at least the immediate areas of the intake manifold as much as i can. I also have the gaskets to replace as well. My middle back cylinder's spark plug was very difficult to remove, and there was a distinct smell from the spark plug that wasn't present in any of the other ones. There was also gunk on the threads, which was not on any of the other ones. Pictures to follow.

Last edited by evident; 02-09-19 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 04:43 AM
sbryant324
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Shop time verus book rate for plug change

Hi all, I am returning here as an owner who recently upgraded to an 09 RX350. I spent 7 years working in Lexus sales at 2 dealerships. I was initialy told the 3mZFE (RX330/Highlander) engine called for manifold gasket replacement. I questioned this when I needed plugs done on my 04 Sienna and 05 Highlander at the Toyota dealership near my home. 2 of 3 dealerships I called quoted huge $ until I mentioned that our Lexus techs at my previous employer did the full job on an RX (all 6 plugs) without removing the manifold as near as I could recall and they did the job in under 2 hours. I was told it was impossible until I presented a quote from a 3rd dealership whose service manager looked deeper into it. With dexterity, good tools, patience and training, it seems some of my old workmates found a better, faster less invasive way. To be fair their volume of Lexus specific service verus a small corner shop would be intensified at least 10 fold. * My first RX 300 came with 3 fresh non Denso front plugs but originals untouched in rear. The lady who traded it used her own local mechanic who clearly found a shortcut.* You get what you pay for. I was also told original plugs have a small paint stripe when installed so if true when in doubt ask your local mechanic to save the originals for reference. I am tempetd to try this install myself but due to a recent concussion, my focus for complicated tasks and abilty to think on my feet is somewhat reduced. I know the engine compartment varies on the vehicles I've owned prior and now own an 09 RX 350. If anyone can confirm if they have done the complete job without manifold removal and in a reasonable time, I would appreciate knowing. Thanks.

Old 02-10-19, 05:25 AM
evident
Racer

Originally Posted by sbryant324
Hi all, I am returning here as an owner who recently upgraded to an 09 RX350. I spent 7 years working in Lexus sales at 2 dealerships. I was initialy told the 3mZFE (RX330/Highlander) engine called for manifold gasket replacement. I questioned this when I needed plugs done on my 04 Sienna and 05 Highlander at the Toyota dealership near my home. 2 of 3 dealerships I called quoted huge $ until I mentioned that our Lexus techs at my previous employer did the full job on an RX (all 6 plugs) without removing the manifold as near as I could recall and they did the job in under 2 hours. I was told it was impossible until I presented a quote from a 3rd dealership whose service manager looked deeper into it. With dexterity, good tools, patience and training, it seems some of my old workmates found a better, faster less invasive way. To be fair their volume of Lexus specific service verus a small corner shop would be intensified at least 10 fold. * My first RX 300 came with 3 fresh non Denso front plugs but originals untouched in rear. The lady who traded it used her own local mechanic who clearly found a shortcut.* You get what you pay for. I was also told original plugs have a small paint stripe when installed so if true when in doubt ask your local mechanic to save the originals for reference. I am tempetd to try this install myself but due to a recent concussion, my focus for complicated tasks and abilty to think on my feet is somewhat reduced. I know the engine compartment varies on the vehicles I've owned prior and now own an 09 RX 350. If anyone can confirm if they have done the complete job without manifold removal and in a reasonable time, I would appreciate knowing. Thanks.
Having just completed the job yesterday, I simply can't possibly see how it can be done without removing the wiper cowl, let alone the manifold.
Old 02-11-19, 06:14 PM
vchan2177
Driver School Candidate

I agree with Evident. Most DIY'er has to remove both the Windshield Cowl and the Intake. However, I have read articles that it is possible to do this job by a professional mechanic without removing the Intake but I am not too sure whether that would apply to a 2009 Lexus RX350 and a DIY'er. There may be slight variations between certain years of Lexus RX350. For example, the wiring haress can be loose on some years which makes it easy to remove the coils while on other years it would be tight and a PITA.

A professional mechanic may have done this job perhaps 10 to 30 times and found some shortcuts. However, a DIY'er does not have this experience. In general, I would say the professional mechanic will always have to remove the windshield cowl and then make a decision whether the job can be done without removing the Intake. When I took off the windshield Cowl, I do see the coils but it is very tight. I determined it is possible...if you have small hands and the experience. However, I already decided to remove the manifold when the time comes. When you think about this job, this is fairly routine job EXCEPT for the following:

1. Removing the PITA driver side windshield wiper arm. I solved this by cutting the plastic top. I was not PATIENT...so I cut it.
2. Removing the PITA rear stay bolt to the intake. You can solve this by using a flex head 12 mm socket wrench. Just be PATIENT with this one bolt.
3. Fighting with the Wiring Harness when removing/installing the coils. You must loosen all fasteners to the wiring harness. Be PATIENT while do this.

When I do this job in April, I will take photos to focus on issues 2 and 3. I already have photos on issue 1.
Old 02-21-19, 03:52 AM
R40
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plugs changed last weekend.......

Took my RX350 last weekend to two techs who have looked after my various Lexus over the last 10 years. They changed all six plugs in just over one hour, which, given they've never worked on this particular Lexus model, had me amazed. Was a great help to show them the v useful how to's on here. In the end the manifold stayed on (couldn't get the three gaskets in time so not much choice!), and instead the guys did as reported in the forums and removed the entire wiper assemblies and cowl. Both are v experienced, but still, 65 minutes from start to finish was rapid. A few pics below in case they might help anyone considering the job:

One thing to note for same model RX owners. In pic 3 the guy on the left is holding the power & signal cable for the wiper motor. When back in place that cable sits across metal and plastic which over time (12 years) had chafed the insulation. We wrapped it with extra tape and cable protector to ensure no future issues. A job worth doing anytime you have access.

Note this is UK so a rhd model

Last edited by R40; 02-21-19 at 03:54 AM. Reason: add info
Old 03-04-19, 07:37 AM
bju748
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the spark plug change on my 2009 yesterday. Removed both the wiper cowl and intake just to make life easier. Took about 3 hours but I wasn't trying to break any records either. The wiper arms came off fairly easily, I sprayed them with PB Blaster and let it sit while I did the front plugs. After that a couple whacks with a rubber mallet on the stud and they popped off. I guess being a Texas car that hasn't seen salt probably helps too. The magnetic swivel spark plug socket is a must as you need the movement to get plugs out against the firewall. Job takes some patience but still something a good DIY mechanic can handle.
Old 03-30-19, 06:15 PM
vchan2177
Driver School Candidate

I just completed my spark plugs replacement but it took me 6 hours. I am age 67 so my DIY skills have declined so I took my time. I estimate a younger DIY should do it in about 4 hours.

Here is the PITA bolt on the passenger side that needs to come out to remove the intake. You need a 12mm flex head wrench. You cannot see without a mirror.

The PITA bolt was on pretty tight. This is a photo of my flex head wrench that is attached to the PITA bolt. The 12 mm flex head wrench was only 6 inches long and so I struggled with this. I estimated getting it loose took at least 40 lbs of force with my fingers.....and there was not enough room to grab the wrench with my hand. I should have used PB blaster or WD40 from the beginning. I also should have purchased a 12mm flex head wrench that is longer than 6 inches.

The bolt is gone! I had to use my mirror to verify. I realized later that I dropped the bolt. The mirror had to be removed to get the tool on. This means everything is by feel.

In the background, I used a short 5mm hex tool to loosen the fasteners to the intake. You do not need a long 5 mm hex tool if you are wondering. Note that the front coils look new because they are new! A month ago, I had install 3 new coils at $60 each on the front side and had my daughter drive it for about 1000 miles. I will relocate these 3 coils to the rear because the Lexus had 130,000 miles. I did not feel comfortable reinstalling coils to the rear with 130,000 miles. Coils with with 1000 miles and service proven for the rear is better. I do not mind using coils with 130,000 miles on the front since replacement is a snap.

There are 3 fasteners to remove to loosen the wiring harness to allow installation of the coil which Mr Evident was cursing while doing this. The fasteners were already removed so I placed some red tape to show the location. Took me an hour to remove the old coils and old plugs and re-install the 1000 miles coils and the new plugs. I also cursed doing this 1 hour job because the wiring harness is in the way. You must be patient during this phase. I recommend taking a break before doing this phase because you will struggle with this.

I strongly recommend that you tape the flex head extension and the short entension and the socket head. This is because if the extensions or socket head can separate while inside the cavity....you will then be delayed and frustrated.

I partially screwed in the PITA bolt back into the maniford and it sticks out about 1/2 inch as shwon in the photo. I then dremeled a slot on the attaching bracket as shown in the photo. When I reassemble the maniford, the PITA bolt should slide into the slot and all I have to do is tighten. If I have to do this job again, I only have to loosen the PITA bolt in the future and the manifold should slide right out.

Final thoughts: If you watch Ponyo Tran's YouTubeVideo provided by Evident, the coils were removed as follows:

1. Passenger Side Coil went straight up and out behind the wiring harness.
2. Middle Side Coil went up first and had to be slide under the wiring harness.
3. I deviated from Ponyo Tran....Drive side Coil can only be removed after disconnecting a wiring connected and then pull the wiring harness toward the front until you can move the coil straight up.

I also did not throw away the PITA bolt but I do agree that attempting to reinstall the PITA bolt would have been a nightmare. This forces me to modify the bracket by cutting a slot.

You should do this job only if your DIY skills are above average. If your skills are average or below average, I recommend paying a mechanic. Since my skills have declined due to my age of 67, this job pushed me to my limits.
The following users liked this post:
Mesquite77 (03-31-19)
Old 04-01-19, 12:29 PM
vchan2177
Driver School Candidate

Photo just before re-installing the intake plenium. Note the slotted bracket on the left which allowed me to partially install the PITA bolt on the intake plenium.

I also realized that the UK mechanics must have removed all of the fasteners to that middle silver bracket to allow the spark plug installation without removing the intake plenium. However, access is still extremely tight and I do not recommend this method for a DIY unless you have a very high skill level using small mirrors in a tight confined area.

After I removed the PITA bolt, it only took me about 20 to 30 minutes to remove the intake plenium. A new gasket cost about $15. I do recommend that you remove all the fasteners to that middle silver bracket which may save you some time while removing and re-installing the coils.

Quick Reply: 2009 RX350 Spark Plugs Replacement