RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New Owner - inquiries

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-19 | 07:49 AM
Rook169
Driver School Candidate

Default New Owner - inquiries

Hello all,
Firstlu, this is a great community that helped a lot in my decision to get a 2007 rx 400h without ML and about 118k miles. I'm not a mechanic but I can follow instructions well so anything I can do myself to save the cost would be amazing. I am facing a few ideas that I wanted some help with. They are as follows:
1. Should I get it inspected and serviced at a lexus. I wanted the fluids flushed and changed, oil and filter change, a tune up basically to get to know any outstanding issues.
2. The passenger side mirror is broken the glass at least. And it doesnt move up. I ordered a memory and dimming glass from Amazon, will need some link to see how to replace that once it comes. Hopefully the motor doesn't need changing.
3. I got a casette to aux for now but would like to upgrade my existing navigation to mirror iphone and not lose climate settings or factory dash look. I saw some forums about beat sonic bypass but couldn't find a video to explain the setup. Also, it was expensive so I'm waiting on the funds. If anyone has experienced this setup could they give some reviews.
4. Can the rear view camera be replaced with aftermarket simply and without hindering future beatsonic plans of factory nav phone mirroring.
5. Lastly, I have a amplified subwoofer that I'd like to install. I also had 6 pioneer speakers [front, rear and components] for 2014 corolla and I think the sizes are the same but Idk if some average pioneer speakers would be better than the factory ones.

I hope to keep this car a long time and any tips or tricks would be welcome information. Thank you for reading through this and I hope you guys could help.
Old 02-05-19 | 06:08 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rook169
Hello all,
Firstlu, this is a great community that helped a lot in my decision to get a 2007 rx 400h without ML and about 118k miles. I'm not a mechanic but I can follow instructions well so anything I can do myself to save the cost would be amazing. I am facing a few ideas that I wanted some help with. They are as follows:
1. Should I get it inspected and serviced at a lexus. I wanted the fluids flushed and changed, oil and filter change, a tune up basically to get to know any outstanding issues.

Absolutely get it inspected by Lexus, it's worth the hour or so of labor charge. I definitely wouldn't bother having any services done with them but you need a place to start. It's also good to get your car registered with a service department as they can run your history if it's ever been serviced at a Lexus dealer.

2. The passenger side mirror is broken the glass at least. And it doesnt move up. I ordered a memory and dimming glass from Amazon, will need some link to see how to replace that once it comes. Hopefully the motor doesn't need changing.

If you ordered the whole assembly, it's a few bolts and the whole mirror comes off. If you're swapping parts into your existing shell, could take some tinkering. I've taken my full mirror off before but left the shell intact.

3. I got a casette to aux for now but would like to upgrade my existing navigation to mirror iphone and not lose climate settings or factory dash look. I saw some forums about beat sonic bypass but couldn't find a video to explain the setup. Also, it was expensive so I'm waiting on the funds. If anyone has experienced this setup could they give some reviews.

Beats Sonic harness is only if you want a double din radio to replace the existing radio, NOT the Nav. If you want to upgrade your Nav, you need to look into GROM VLine, expensive but puts android where you Nav display is. I could not afford the VLine and did not want to replace my radio so I went with a GROM USB-3 with bluetooth adapter for my iphone. I also got rid of the power socket by the shift **** for a USB port which integrates into the GROM USB-3.

4. Can the rear view camera be replaced with aftermarket simply and without hindering future beatsonic plans of factory nav phone mirroring.

Simply, no. Possible, yes. Toyota runs on a 6v system for the backup which is dumb, so most aftermarket units need a voltage step down or complete swap of the camera.

5. Lastly, I have a amplified subwoofer that I'd like to install. I also had 6 pioneer speakers [front, rear and components] for 2014 corolla and I think the sizes are the same but Idk if some average pioneer speakers would be better than the factory ones.

If the Ohm ratings match, I do not see why not for the door speakers. I do like the Pioneer system in my 330, but last time I had the door out, the 6x9's looked kinda crappy. OEM amp seems decent but has been problematic if you search the forums, knocking on wood mine doesn't give up now but if it does I'll do a full system.

Adding a sub is pretty easy but I would try to tap the pre-amp inputs for an LOC versus the post-amp outputs as the Pioneer system seems to distort bass a bit in my opinion.

I hope to keep this car a long time and any tips or tricks would be welcome information. Thank you for reading through this and I hope you guys could help.
Car will last you if you take care of it. Keep up with fluids and other maintenance and you should be worry free for awhile. Definitely keep slush funds as these cars aren't perfect and age is really going to play a factor. Recently had my steering rack leak, that was a mess to fix, but it's driving like new now with the new one. Not sure if the 400h is timing belt or chain but if it's a belt have that done while you have the funds and time to take the car out of service for the repair.
Old 02-05-19 | 09:42 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Hello all,

I would avoid taking it to the dealer for an inspection, especially the Lexus dealer. They'll probably come back with a huge list of things that they'll claim you need to fix. Maybe even more than what the car is worth.
Here's what you should do - find an independent mechanic who specializes in Toyota and Lexus, who is not affiliated with the dealer, and take it it there for a pre-purchase inspection.
Let him know that you are interested in buying it and let them do a pre-purchase inspection. If it's a reputable place, they won't bull******* about all the repairs and costly maintenance items that needs to be done. It's well worth the cost even if it cost a couple of hundred $$$ for the inspection, but avoid taking it to the dealership, especially the Lexus dealership if you are planning on getting a pre-purchase inspection.
I have the same advice for all future maintenance and repairs. Learn to do you the simple maintenance items (oil changes and fluid changes) yourself.
The hundred dollars that you save from doing the maintenance yourself really adds up over the long run if drive a lot and plan on keeping it for more than a couple of years.
As far as the larger costlier repairs and maintenance items, look for a reputable indy mechanic who can work on it. Do your research online or ask you family or colleagues if they know anyone who specializes in Toyota and Lexus. I find the best indy mechanics who give the best rates and are trustworthy don't advertise much - you find them through word of mouth from friends or family members.
Old 02-06-19 | 02:26 AM
Rook169
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for replying guys, really put things into perspective.
So firstly, I'm gonna take it to a local shop and have the fluids changed and a tune up done.

Secondly, about the infotainment, it is 600 which is bad. The price for getting bluetooth or aux only bypasses are almost same as that of getting a double din, it will spoil the look of the interior but I guess it will make putting in amp and back up camera easier. Would there be a way to connect backup camera and steering controls to it.

Also, is it common for the engine to shutoff loudly when stopped at a light. The shifter also shifts hard and loud?

As a new owner I would like to get some insight on what to get done at upcoming 120k miles mark.

Lastly, do you guys know of where I could get cheap in channel sun visors and all weather floor mats.

Thanks a lot guys. Really appreciate your detailed help.

Old 02-06-19 | 11:29 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Secondly, about the infotainment, it is 600 which is bad. The price for getting bluetooth or aux only bypasses are almost same as that of getting a double din, it will spoil the look of the interior but I guess it will make putting in amp and back up camera easier. Would there be a way to connect backup camera and steering controls to it.

Also, is it common for the engine to shutoff loudly when stopped at a light. The shifter also shifts hard and loud?
$600 for a new infotainment system is within normal range if you are having a dealer or a shop do the replacement. I got quoted $900 at the dealership to replace the infotainment system at the dealer a few years ago. And they were going to replace it with a refurbished unit, not a brand new OEM unit. So $600 is a good price, but still high compared to DIY ordering a refurbished unit for $200 or $300 from a reputable distributor or Ebay and doing the replacement yourself which took less than 2 hours.