RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Child Seat fitment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-03, 05:15 PM
javadoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Child Seat fitment?

Hello all,

I posted a while back when I was shopping for a new vehicle for my dw. We've narrowed the search down to an RX330 or an XC90. The RX wins in the luxury dept., but the XC is ahead in the versatility dept (7pass seating, sliding middle seat in the second row...). The RX is so darn nice inside, while the XC does everything we would want, but feels, well, solid, but not oozing w/luxury. However, we could only get the RX if it were to satisfy our needs for child car seats. So, here's the long, drawn out question:

Since we are expecting our third child sometime next spring, we will need this vehicle to handle a infant seat in the center, but also handle our 4 (then 5) year old's seat, and have room for our 8y.o. daughter too. I'm worried that the narrow arrangement of the center seat will not allow room for the infant seat and the booster seat. Does anyone have experience with this?

I asked the salesman who was 'helping' us if we could do a test-fit and he acted as though I was from Mars. He kept saying "This is a luxury car, sir.." "No merde... I own luxury cars, have for years, and a Lexus is no different imho... but I need to put my children in them you dolt..." I didn't say but wanted to.. he was getting on my nerves.. Anyway, any replies of assistance would be greatly appreciated.

The wife just loves the RX, but as I stated, it's a no-go if it's not going to fit the seating needs.
Old 08-02-03, 10:21 PM
JRB
Pole Position

If it were me I would go back and do an actual test, with a different salesperson. If you find that it's got enough room, I would go with the RX. Your wife's instincts about liking the Lexus are right - the interior is much nicer than the Volvo, plus it will in all likelihood be more reliable.

If you need "wide" and more room, have you considered the Acura MDX? Luxury-wise it's a pretty big step down from the RX, but it does offer more space, and it goes and handles pretty well.
Old 08-02-03, 11:06 PM
ericjuenke
Driver School Candidate

The only way you will know for sure is to try it, I'd ask for a different salesperson. My kids are 12 and 3 so I only have one car seat back there. It might be tight with your configuration. Just take some towels with you to protect the seats, they shouldn't have a problem with that. I also considered the Volvo but am happy with my decision to go with the RX.
Old 08-03-03, 11:05 AM
javadoc
Driver School Candidate

Thank your the helpful replies. Funny you would mention reliability. The salesman dragged us inside (which i hate) to 'work up numbers' on the RX, which was Bamboo w/the Premium Plus package. I think it MSRP'd for $41,300 or so. The guy pulls out this pricing sheet that I'm sure is supposed to daze customers, except that I saw right through it, seeing that they wanted the selling price to be $47,400, or abou $6k over list. I called him on it, and his reply was, "Well, it's a luxury car, sir, and the extra price pays for the needs of the service dept." I'm pretty certain that a $42k Lexus is going to not be in the shop...and the warranty service is covered by the factory, and not by my additional markup. It couldn't be for demand, because they had a dozen RXs just sitting on the lot, while the Volvo is a 4-5month order-only situation for MSRP only. I'm leaning towards the Volvo, but since it's the wife's daily driver, it's her ultimate decision. I'm sure that whichever we end up, we'll be happy
Old 08-03-03, 02:36 PM
javadoc
Driver School Candidate

We're actually also thinking about a 2002 RX300 that a co-worker of my brother-in-law is selling, in Portland. It only has 6,700 miles on it and she wants $31,700. However, I'm trying to nail down the exterior color, which he says is green. the only green I've seen on the 300s was a light metallic, with a lower color (grey I think). Where can I find stock pictures of this color combo? This car may be an option, if it also passes the child-seat fitment test.

Thanks for the replies folks, you make coming to a decision easier!
Old 08-03-03, 02:56 PM
eisens
Rookie

Default Acura MDX

If you are worried about seat space in the RX 330 take a look at the Acura MDX, too. It is still the 2003 (2004 in October), but the MDX does have a third row seat.

I debated between the two and with one rugrat decided I didn't need the extra seats. IMHO the back seat of the RX 330 would be a tight fit for three kids -- and remember that the baby seat will be swapped for a toddler seat in two years or less. IMHO it is a tight squeeze.
Old 08-05-03, 05:30 PM
RickC
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think the Acura is a big step down in the luxury dept. Here in Tennessee, a loaded Acura MDX was 42,500. That included the DVD navigation system. It also sits 7 people, but the back seat is definitely for small children. It doesn't have depth in the leg room. I opted for the Lexus because I simply thought it was a better looking car and hoped it would be more reliable which is why I was shopping in the first place. Give the MDX a look too. I don't think you will be disappointed. And I bought my RX330 for 1000 below MSRP. So I don't know what they are pulling there where you are. I know others here on this forum have gotten as much as 3k below MSRP. Adding 7k to the sticker, I would show that saleman exactly where to "sticker" it.

RickC

Last edited by RickC; 08-05-03 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-05-03, 10:17 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Originally posted by RickC
I don't think the Acura is a big step down in the luxury dept.
RickC
I think the quality of the interior materials and the overall interior design is way better in the Lexus. The only real advantage that the MDX offers is in interior room - it's wider and can hold more cargo. With the rear seats all the way back, however, the RX330 seems to have just as much, if not more, rear seat legroom.