RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Temperature control button broken

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-19, 05:35 PM
colton1954
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temperature control button broken

I have a 2004 Lexus RX330. I have a issue with the driver side temperature control. I cannot change the temperature, the fan works and the unit is on Max AC. It seems like the Temperature button is broken . The temperature up seems like it broke through the printed circuit board behind it. My question is can I just replace the temperature control portion of the ECU ? Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Enclosed is picture of the temperature control button.

Last edited by colton1954; 03-17-19 at 05:47 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 03-18-19, 11:46 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 252 Posts

Lexus does not sell the parts separately, you would have to buy the whole cluster for about $1900. So the most reasonable solution would be to go to the local Pick & Pull and get the panel there. You could either use the whole panel or unsolder the parts you need and repair yours.
Old 03-18-19, 05:49 PM
colton1954
Driver School Candidate

Dennis
Thanks for the speedy reply . I did see the just the temperature panel on ebay I might try that. I guess if I do replace it I have to remove the whole ECU unit to get access to the temperature panel ? Thankfully it’s stuck on Max AC because the Texas heat will be coming soon.

Thanks Again
Bill
Old 03-18-19, 06:17 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 252 Posts

You will have to remove the radio and the climate control cluster in order to repair/swap it out. It's not all that hard.

Watch this video -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4myfQSJNA_0
Old 04-14-19, 02:57 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by colton1954

I have a 2004 Lexus RX330. I have a issue with the driver side temperature control. I cannot change the temperature, the fan works and the unit is on Max AC. It seems like the Temperature button is broken . The temperature up seems like it broke through the printed circuit board behind it. My question is can I just replace the temperature control portion of the ECU ? Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Enclosed is picture of the temperature control button.
I have the driver’s side temp button and circuit board for sale if you are still interested.
Old 12-14-19, 08:06 AM
igre
Driver School Candidate

I know it may be a long shot... but if you still have I would be interested. thank you
Old 12-15-19, 03:11 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Just FYI for anyone going thru this.

The A/C temp button from the Navigation and non-Navigation versions are not compatible and do not fit eachother.

Bad news for anyone with Navigation that needs replacement Up/Down Temp buttons.

I bought a "like new" working Non-Navigaton AC control unit last year thinking I could rob the buttons and put in my Navigation unit because my driver side temp button quit working and I was screwed because it looked the same from the front but didn't fit. lol

My car is a 2004 RX330.

This is part of the reason why I did the thread for Navigation Delete and just did away with the old Navigation system.

Last edited by Margate330; 12-15-19 at 03:26 AM.
Old 08-10-20, 10:33 AM
Din
Lexus Champion

Has anyone came up with a fix for this for a navi model?
Old 11-01-20, 01:53 AM
MarkDrano
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know I have fixed the crumbling temperature button contact issue on my RX330. It was only allowing the temp to go down, not up - on both sides.
I bought the replacement contacts from http://twwongtai.com/ paying with PayPal, and then I installed them this weekend.
I made an explanatory video to show how it's done - it's not really that hard, once you have all the equipment out of the dash and the screen unit freed.
Check it out:
Hope that helps, cheers from Down Under
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (11-01-20)
Old 11-01-20, 10:20 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

$60 for 4 rubber contacts is rip off- they are really sticking it hard to people at that link above.

Great video(minus the music) that shows exactly the part that fails but there has to be a cheaper way to get those rubber pieces that should cost no more than $1 each.

The rubber contact that breaks appears to be the same for Nav & non-Nav units but the little circuit board shown behind the button in the pic is different. This is why the module(with button) can't be swapped but the rubber contact can if it doesn't fall apart swapping it from one unit to another because they dry out over time and get fragile.

Hopefully someone will post a legit link of this rubber part for a fair price- if not I will have one designed and made and put it online myself.
Old 11-01-20, 05:09 PM
MarkDrano
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the original part is silicon - the replacements I bought seemed to be hard plastic, so there's no rubber in there to degrade - hopefully these new ones last.
Yep, they're expensive for what they are.. but I saved by doing it myself, and coming into summer here you don't want to be without air conditioning control.
Old 11-02-20, 09:46 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MarkDrano
I think the original part is silicon - the replacements I bought seemed to be hard plastic, so there's no rubber in there to degrade - hopefully these new ones last.
Yep, they're expensive for what they are.. but I saved by doing it myself, and coming into summer here you don't want to be without air conditioning control.
+1 thank you for sharing.

Yeah they kinda do have a silicone-ish feel to them.

Mine were completely falling apart and crumbling.

Maybe the oem used a softer material to get the max amout of percussions of the contacts by having a little give to it- hard plastic may shorten the life of the contacts maybe but at least it's a fix.
MarkDrano (11-02-20)
Old 01-06-21, 12:57 AM
ParrotCCC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MarkDrano
Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know I have fixed the crumbling temperature button contact issue on my RX330. It was only allowing the temp to go down, not up - on both sides.
I bought the replacement contacts from http://twwongtai.com/ paying with PayPal, and then I installed them this weekend.
I made an explanatory video to show how it's done - it's not really that hard, once you have all the equipment out of the dash and the screen unit freed.
Check it out:
Hope that helps, cheers from Down Under
Thanks for Mark's sharing. The link http://twwongtai.com can't be visited for a long time. It has been moved to http://www.hongmei.com.tw/shop/switc...-rx350-rx400h/

Old 10-10-21, 02:08 PM
Schmerts
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I have to do this repair. My 2004 rx330 temperature button will not change the temp. It is currently stuck at MAX-cold. Has anyone found a USA source for these buttons? I hope that is all I need to do. The jobs doesn't look hard at all, but $60 for those buttons, ouch...and I don't know anything about the seller.
Old 10-11-21, 01:57 PM
uksparky
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Could we not make them ourselves with a small lathe using hard plastic, how about brass .. i have these jets out of old brit Triumph carb

Margate330 (10-11-21)

Quick Reply: Temperature control button broken