RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Timing Belt advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-19, 03:45 PM
Audiqv8
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by quantfutur
They had to call in a Toyota mechanic down the street to help him as he couldn't match up the teeth. Said it passed road test but I drove it for 1/8th mile and the engine and VSC lights came on. Turned back and he had left (Saturday). The owner checked the codes (I also took it to Autozone) and got the P0016 and P0018. Have to bring the car back on Monday or Tuesday.

Does it sound like the teeth are off one? Mechanic thought could be off by millileters if at all he checked and triple checked but why would I be getting these codes on millileters if it's not off one tooth at least?

Also, there is a squeal at low speed or coming out of a parallel park that wasn't there. I pulled into a local garage and the mechanic listened to the noise and said it's the power steering belt; it needs to be adjusted.

Is it possible the power steering belt was removed in this ace job of timing belt replacement? I have read that sometimes power steering pumps are removed on this job but I will expect any adjustment of the belt will be gratis, as will the resolution of the code issues.
As I stated in my earlier post make sure the mechanic is qualified to do the work. There are two marks on the crankshaft, one on the little gear and one on the big gear, you time TDC (top dead center) to the big gear. P0016 and P0018 are stating that the crank and cam are out of sync. The alternator/ac belt along with the ps belt is removed in order to remove the timing covers and to remove the timing belt tensioner. Here is a video on a Toyota Sienna which uses the same engine as the Lexus RX330. The sequel is most likely from the PS belt being put on in the reverse direction if the original belt was used. The mechanic should have marked or noted the direction of the belt travel.

Although the video is from a Sienna 3.3L it is the same engine as the Lexus RX330. This is one of the better videos on changing a timing belt for the 3.3L engi

ne
Old 04-27-19, 08:36 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the videos and discussion. I will share this with mechanic on Monday. I may to insist that they bring back the Toyota mechanic. Owner was hoping its just some dirt that is producing the two codes and an easy fix. He doesn't know about power steering belt issue yet. I will insist that car be road tested for some miles after the fix, which will need to include an explanation so that I can have some confidence. I really like the mechanic and the shop but he should have said the job is a rarity for him. I would have then gone elsewhere.
Old 01-19-22, 11:08 PM
bRicardi1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink wrong timing marks

Originally Posted by Audiqv8
As I stated in my earlier post make sure the mechanic is qualified to do the work. There are two marks on the crankshaft, one on the little gear and one on the big gear, you time TDC (top dead center) to the big gear. P0016 and P0018 are stating that the crank and cam are out of sync. The alternator/ac belt along with the ps belt is removed in order to remove the timing covers and to remove the timing belt tensioner. Here is a video on a Toyota Sienna which uses the same engine as the Lexus RX330. The sequel is most likely from the PS belt being put on in the reverse direction if the original belt was used. The mechanic should have marked or noted the direction of the belt travel.

Although the video is from a Sienna 3.3L it is the same engine as the Lexus RX330. This is one of the better videos on changing a timing belt for the 3.3L engi

ne https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rCVDLM2hzE
I'm screwed,I turned the engine, using the wrong crank marks, did I damaged it. After correcting it, the engine will not rev passed 1600rpm.