RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Camera transfer

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-19, 05:26 PM
cdmn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camera transfer

Hi there I have two RX330's. One has the backup camera and the other doesn't. I was wondering if anybody knows how or if I could transfer the system from the one with the camera to the one without? Thanks for any help.
Old 05-02-19, 01:45 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Default many items needed

1. do you have the screen to view? ie. display
2. pull off back panel and see if loom to camera is integral to main hatch loom or added through plug. If loom is integral , i think you're out of luck.

since you already have a 330 you must be aware that camera is activated once reverse is selected. i would think this will be ' built into ' the system as i can't see a software upgrade needed to handle this. of course all of this doesn't matter if #2 is negative.
The following users liked this post:
sbryant324 (05-10-19)
Old 05-03-19, 08:36 AM
Audiqv8
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by daddiojigg
1. do you have the screen to view? ie. display
2. pull off back panel and see if loom to camera is integral to main hatch loom or added through plug. If loom is integral , i think you're out of luck.

since you already have a 330 you must be aware that camera is activated once reverse is selected. i would think this will be ' built into ' the system as i can't see a software upgrade needed to handle this. of course all of this doesn't matter if #2 is negative.
The reverse camera is triggered by the car going into reverse. It uses a positive signal sent to a relay which will send power to the backup light. On Toyota the wire from the relay to the backup light is Red-Blue. Most likely the car is not equipped for back up camera if it wasn't OEM. The camera is also unique in that it is a 6vdc camera.
Old 05-03-19, 03:52 PM
cdmn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies guys. Does anyone know if a professional might be able to make the switch?
Old 05-10-19, 04:47 PM
sbryant324
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am doing a Kenwood stereo upgrade with NAV in a base model RX and plan to add front DRVN520? and rear TBD cameras. I have read the non camera units are *pre wired* specific to the factory camera. I have searched wrecking yards prior from time to time but hard to find a camera alone, they prefer to sell the entire rear door. However if you were able to swap between your two vehicles the trim panel where the camera mounts is specific from what I see and you might need to swap it too. Good after market cameras exist on sites *with intructions* such as Crutchfield. Check the aftermarket, also determine what you have to view the image. There are also wireless camers now.
Old 05-11-19, 12:24 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by cdmn
Hi there I have two RX330's. One has the backup camera and the other doesn't.
Hi friend are you saying you have one car with OEM factory Navigation and one without?

If so it would be a huge project and is not a direct swap out.
Old 05-29-19, 09:31 AM
cdmn
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the late reply but yes that is what I'm saying. Why do you say it would be a huge project?
Old 05-29-19, 09:33 AM
cdmn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for that info. I really want to the swap between my two cars. Do you think it's feasible?
Old 05-29-19, 11:40 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for that info. I really want to the swap between my two cars. Do you think it's feasible?
It is possible but I did just the opposite.

My car had factory NAV and I removed it and installed the standard Non-Nav A/C controls and did a post about it deleting the Nav system.

The factory Nav wiring harness has extra plugs that will not be on your other car so you will need to swap wiring harness, dvd nav player/ecu, GPS antenna, camera, etc.
There is also the problem of wiring- even if the wire harness are swapped from one car to the other- you will have to them run the wires to where they need to go such as the DVD nav goes to different pins on the Gateway Ecu for AC controls etc, door speaker wired into DVD nav/ecu instead of amp, and much more.

It's a big job and can probably be done but I have no regrets deleting my factory NAV and installing a new modern 2019 radio with new back up camera. Btw my new backup camera has far superior image than the factory Nav did.

I hope this helps.
Good luck with your project.
Old 06-03-19, 03:19 PM
cdmn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Margate330
It is possible but I did just the opposite.

My car had factory NAV and I removed it and installed the standard Non-Nav A/C controls and did a post about it deleting the Nav system.

The factory Nav wiring harness has extra plugs that will not be on your other car so you will need to swap wiring harness, dvd nav player/ecu, GPS antenna, camera, etc.
There is also the problem of wiring- even if the wire harness are swapped from one car to the other- you will have to them run the wires to where they need to go such as the DVD nav goes to different pins on the Gateway Ecu for AC controls etc, door speaker wired into DVD nav/ecu instead of amp, and much more.

It's a big job and can probably be done but I have no regrets deleting my factory NAV and installing a new modern 2019 radio with new back up camera. Btw my new backup camera has far superior image than the factory Nav did.

I hope this helps.
Good luck with your project.
Thanks for sharing your experience. So which model stereo/backup camera did you end up installing?
Old 06-03-19, 03:26 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for sharing your experience. So which model stereo/backup camera did you end up installing?
Hi,
New Stereo: Kenwood DMX77055
New Camera: Pioneer ND-BC8

Here is a link of the upgrade I did and there are others who have upgraded their stereos in this forum.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...mp-delete.html