RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Best way to add a bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-19, 07:11 PM
Fifilafay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to add a bike rack

Hi, I have a 2007 and there’s no hitch in the back. There is two metal circle loops i believe. I want to be able to bring a few bikes camping and I’m looking for the best way to do this. Should I spend the money and put a hitch on? Or is there a way to pull a trailer with those loops? Should I get a bike rack that doesn’t need a hitch?

If someone has gone through this I would love to hear what you ended up doing. Thank you in advance.
Old 07-09-19, 10:03 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

The best bike racks IMO are hitch based. I would find out how much a hitch will cost you from a local installer or UHAUL. My Lexus came with a hitch already, and I have a hitch based carrier that holds 4 bikes. I don't know of any way to put a bike rack on with the 'circle loops', in fact I didn't realize the RX had them. But, the only other option I know of are the universal racks that work for sedans as well, and I don't know how well they work with SUVs. How many bikes do you want to carry?
Old 07-10-19, 03:39 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 289 Likes on 250 Posts

I wanted to get a bike rack for my RX and could not find any that were made for a RX of the type made for sedans. I decided not to add a trailer hitch and used my other car that is a sedan. Looking at the rack for my sedan, I can see that that that type of rack could not be made stable for the RX.
Old 07-14-19, 01:40 PM
loco4diy
Driver School Candidate

Hello: I recently put a trailer hitch on our Rx330 (2006). I got tired of lowering the rear seats and put my daughter's bike inside. I knew eventually I would rip or damage the car inside.
I bought a Curt Hitch specifically made for the rx330. ($150 roughly). instructions are easy. I did it myself.
Then I bought a bike rack at Nothern-Tools roughly $60 on sale. Problem solved.
Old 07-15-19, 04:22 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 155 Posts

I used a Curt hitch as well, very well build hitch. With 4 bikes, I bought a Allen sports deluxe 4 bike rack for a $100, although not the best rack, it does the job.
Old 10-10-19, 10:23 AM
vandy1996
Driver School Candidate

I purchased a hitch for my '08 RX350 from my local Toyota dealer...the highlander hitch and the RX350 hitch are interchangeable. I didn't want to go with the hitch that has the "cut-out" look for the exhaust pipe. The Toyota hitch is actually molded to go around the exhaust pipe. Had to special order it. Installed the hitch myself at the house with an extra set of hands - it is pretty heavy.

Purchased a Thule hitch-mounted bike rack. IMO, the best way to carry bikes.

Molded to fit around exhaust pipe

Last edited by vandy1996; 10-10-19 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Add photos
Old 10-10-19, 11:00 AM
evident
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by vandy1996
I purchased a hitch for my '08 RX350 from my local Toyota dealer...the highlander hitch and the RX350 hitch are interchangeable. I didn't want to go with the hitch that has the "cut-out" look for the exhaust pipe. The Toyota hitch is actually molded to go around the exhaust pipe. Had to special order it. Installed the hitch myself at the house with an extra set of hands - it is pretty heavy.

Purchased a Thule hitch-mounted bike rack. IMO, the best way to carry bikes. Happy to provide pics if interested.
I can confirm this. I purchased a highlander hitch from the toyota dealership and installed myself. works perfectly. The cover has a "T" vs a "L" but otherwise they are identical.
Old 10-10-19, 09:31 PM
DDSEBESTA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fifilafay
Hi, I have a 2007 and there’s no hitch in the back. There is two metal circle loops i believe. I want to be able to bring a few bikes camping and I’m looking for the best way to do this. Should I spend the money and put a hitch on? Or is there a way to pull a trailer with those loops? Should I get a bike rack that doesn’t need a hitch?

If someone has gone through this I would love to hear what you ended up doing. Thank you in advance.
etrailer.com put in year make model and order. simple remove tow hooks by unbolting from the frame under rear bumper (3 bolts each side ).
install new tow bar/hitch with same bolts thru premade holes that will align right backup , 35 mins , and buy , rent , borrow , or service guy check with a torque wrench. you can even order easy plug and play wiring kit now that you have a class 2 tow bar/hitch for you towing needs.
Old 10-10-19, 09:33 PM
DDSEBESTA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I wanted to get a bike rack for my RX and could not find any that were made for a RX of the type made for sedans. I decided not to add a trailer hitch and used my other car that is a sedan. Looking at the rack for my sedan, I can see that that that type of rack could not be made stable for the RX.
etrailer.com put in year make model and order. simple remove tow hooks by unbolting from the frame under rear bumper (3 bolts each side ).

install new tow bar/hitch with same bolts thru premade holes that will align right backup , 35 mins , and buy , rent , borrow , or service guy check with a torque wrench. you can even order easy plug and play wiring kit now that you have a class 2 tow bar/hitch for you towing needs.

Old 10-10-19, 09:34 PM
DDSEBESTA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Originally Posted by Fifilafay

Old 10-10-19, 09:35 PM
DDSEBESTA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
The best bike racks IMO are hitch based. I would find out how much a hitch will cost you from a local installer or UHAUL. My Lexus came with a hitch already, and I have a hitch based carrier that holds 4 bikes. I don't know of any way to put a bike rack on with the 'circle loops', in fact I didn't realize the RX had them. But, the only other option I know of are the universal racks that work for sedans as well, and I don't know how well they work with SUVs. How many bikes do you want to carry?