RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Check System = tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-19 | 01:01 PM
Clary1951
Driver School Candidate

Default Check System = tire pressure

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been covered...but I'll ask again;

check system with the tire pressure icon dash light on....took to Tire Pro close to home. They replaced a sensor. All sensors working but they couldn't get light to go out.

For another $125 they know a guy......wth?

They are telling me an ECM is probably bad....$$$$

Anything I can try?

Thanks from the Valley of the Sun,

Clary

Last edited by kitlz; 07-26-19 at 10:13 AM. Reason: language workaround
Old 07-25-19 | 01:33 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not sure about this year, but check under the dash for a button relating to tires. Sometimes you need to hold it down to reset, other times there to switch between one set of tires and another.

Another possibility is you had more than one dead sensor, and the one in the rear spare is also dead. It's unlikely that its a bad ECM to be honest.
Old 07-26-19 | 10:10 AM
Clary1951
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXGS
I'm not sure about this year, but check under the dash for a button relating to tires. Sometimes you need to hold it down to reset, other times there to switch between one set of tires and another.

Another possibility is you had more than one dead sensor, and the one in the rear spare is also dead. It's unlikely that its a bad ECM to be honest.
That button is there......I'm sure there's some kind of sequence to resetting, although the guys at the tire shop fiddled with it, they may not have known the correct sequence...i.e., push and hold, then turn ign to on (don't start)....or rub your head and pat your tummy?

I don't know the sequence...but I have the button!!! HELP!
Old 07-26-19 | 10:46 AM
DennisMik
Racer

2 things. When a pressure sensor is replaced, it must have its i.d. code registered into the car's computer. The car's computer is looking for specific i.d. codes, so if the new sensor is not registered, the car is still looking for the old one. To register the code, it requires connecting to the car's computer and using a computer program such as Toyota Techstream.

Once the sensor has been registered to the car's computer, then you can initialize the TPMS system. But before you do this, select Tire Set 1 or Tire Set 2. There is different button for this. It is located on the passenger side under the glove box about in the center. With the button out, the cat will monitor Tire Set 1 (Main). With the button in, the car will monitor Tire Set 2. It doesn't really matter which setting you use. Before you do the initialize process, try putting the button in the other position as maybe the tire shop people messed with it.

To initialize the system, you use the button under the steering column.
1 - with the ignition switch turned off, set the air pressure in the tires for what you want it to be.
2 - turn the ignition switch on but DO NOT start the engine.
3 - Press and hold the button under the steering column until the TPMS light in the instrument cluster flashes 3 times and release the button.
4 - Wait at least a minute while the initialize process does its thing. It is possible that it could take longer than a minute.
5 - Turn the ignition switch off.
The following users liked this post:
Clary1951 (07-27-19)
Old 07-26-19 | 10:58 AM
DennisMik
Racer

What I suggest you do for your own benefit is download the owners manual for the car. This information is in there and if you had the manual, you would have had your answer days ago.

Go to https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/ and there is a link for manuals. If you register (you need the car's VIN) there are additional things available.

The part about initializing TPMS is in Section 4-3 Do It Yourself Maintenance. The very last part of the manual is an alphabetical index.
The following users liked this post:
Clary1951 (07-27-19)
Old 07-27-19 | 04:29 PM
Clary1951
Driver School Candidate

You're very sharp guy!

I appreciate the response, thank you.

So if you get a sensor replaced at a "tire shop" that doesn't have the Techstream software...you'll never get the light out! right?

Without that software, it doesn't sound like a DIY project.....Looking like I may need to pay a dealer for that service.....
Old 07-27-19 | 06:41 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Tire shops can register the sensor. They have the appropriate tool/software, whatever you want to call it, to register the new sensor with the car's computer. It has to be done, someway, somehow.

If the battery in the sensor has died and the sensor is no longer transmitting a signal, the TPMS light in the instrument cluster will flash for a minute or so when you first turn the ignition key on and then the light will stay on solid. And, as was stated earlier, there is a sensor in the spare tire.

Before you take the car to the dealer, talk to another tire store and see if they can/will do it. Worst case they may change the sensor again, but that would still be cheaper than the dealer.

There is a chain of tire stores called Discount Tires that is in my area. They replace sensors for $61 out the door. Others have said they paid more at Discount Tire. Someone on CL here says they paid $50 at Costco. There is another tire store chain by me called NTB that wanted $175. Once I got up off the floor, I hightailed it out of that place. That was more than the Lexus dealer wanted. Point is, ask before saying "Do it."

Discount Tire has stores in Arizona. I remember seeing them when I was driving around in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. Their website has a store locator function.

https://www.discounttire.com/store-locator