RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Clearcoat or Wax on RX330

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-03, 10:53 PM
Rock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearcoat or Wax on RX330

After two weeks of driving my new RX330. I had it washed for two times so far, and I noticed there wasn't any wax or clearcoat done by the dealer before they deliver the vehicle to me. I thought probably the clearcoat may involve some cost but at least or I assume they should wax it for me at no cost.

I am just wondering any lexus owners got their new vehicle waxed before the delivery?
Old 08-17-03, 11:03 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

I believe all cars come with clearcoat, but as far as them waxing it for you, I guess it depends on the dealer. Personally, I'd rather them not wax it for me, unless they do it the "right way".
Old 08-18-03, 08:31 AM
JRB
Pole Position

Originally posted by msilverIS
I believe all cars come with clearcoat, but as far as them waxing it for you, I guess it depends on the dealer. Personally, I'd rather them not wax it for me, unless they do it the "right way".
I agree completely. Many buyers would object to the dealer putting on a coat of "who knows what" wax, preferring to do it themselves using their own favorite brand. The car should be delivered in spotless (clean) condition, and then let the buyer decide what they want to do. Some owners would rather wait a while before doing anything, preferring to let the paint "cure" first before sealing it with a coat of wax. The standard clearcoat (which according to my dealer is applied to all colors on the RX330) should adequately protect the paint for some time if you do prefer to wait. In our case however - being the overly cautious kind of guy that I am - I decided to put a coat of 3M's wax on as soon as we drove it home from the dealer, and followed that up with another one a couple of weeks later. We also added a "clear bra" in front (cost: $139) so we should be all set until winter approaches.
Old 08-18-03, 03:31 PM
RickC
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To be honest, I didn't even want the dealer to wash mine. They already had swirl marks in it from the first washing. I guess they used harsh wash mits, or drying towels.

I don't even let my wife wash it. I am very particular with it since it's black.

RickC
Old 08-18-03, 05:25 PM
RXMike
Driver School Candidate

Hey Rick,

I am with you on that one. Black is a great color but requires extra effort. I have ZERO swirl marks on my wife's RX330 thinks to probably 10 coats of Zaino by now. I would put Zaino against anything on the market. I have been through a bunch of different stuff before I found Zaino back in 1998. No I don't sell it or make a profit from it. I just use and believe in it. Seeing is believing.

RXMike
Old 08-18-03, 07:11 PM
qlpua
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by JRB
I agree completely. Many buyers would object to the dealer putting on a coat of "who knows what" wax, preferring to do it themselves using their own favorite brand. The car should be delivered in spotless (clean) condition, and then let the buyer decide what they want to do. Some owners would rather wait a while before doing anything, preferring to let the paint "cure" first before sealing it with a coat of wax. The standard clearcoat (which according to my dealer is applied to all colors on the RX330) should adequately protect the paint for some time if you do prefer to wait. In our case however - being the overly cautious kind of guy that I am - I decided to put a coat of 3M's wax on as soon as we drove it home from the dealer, and followed that up with another one a couple of weeks later. We also added a "clear bra" in front (cost: $139) so we should be all set until winter approaches.
What is the "clear bra" that you added in front?I have been looking on the web for a bra for my rx 330 but can't find anything available yet.I would appreciate any info on this.

RXraydoc
Old 08-19-03, 04:19 AM
RickC
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree RXMike. I use Zaino also. I haven't done the RX330 yet because I started claying it the day after I bought it, and the so called 100% cotton towel I was using was scratching it. And they are Cannon towels!
I stopped immediately and now use only Microfiber. I am going to clay it in the next couple weeks and then start the zaino process. I have a few marks I have to get out first and Z5 doesn't remove swirls like it claims to do. I just bought a 3M product that I have tested and it works, but it's a pain to use.

Here is my zaino'd pickup.
Attached Thumbnails Clearcoat or Wax on RX330-hd-zaino-d-2small.jpg  
Old 09-14-03, 12:23 PM
bugeyes
Driver School Candidate

JRB, count me in on the "clear bra" , would appreciate any info on this.
Old 09-14-03, 12:55 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up Second vote for Zaino

Originally posted by RXMike
Hey Rick,

I am with you on that one. Black is a great color but requires extra effort. I have ZERO swirl marks on my wife's RX330 thinks to probably 10 coats of Zaino by now. I would put Zaino against anything on the market. I have been through a bunch of different stuff before I found Zaino back in 1998. No I don't sell it or make a profit from it. I just use and believe in it. Seeing is believing.

RXMike
I have a 2000 RX300 Black and when I first got it people would comment on all the swirls. Then I put on 4 coats of Zaino, 3 Swirl Mark reducer coats and one glossy coat for non-clear coated vehicles. The swirl marks are GONE

This stuff is great and lasts much longer than the Meguiers I was using before.

If you have a black car get it.
Old 09-14-03, 07:00 PM
techlover
Driver School Candidate

Talking zaino yummy

i have a 2000 dark green metallic corvette besides my breakwater blue 330. i have been using zaino wax on it since it was brand new and i cant say enough good about the product! it goes on easy and lasts a long time. take it from one satisfied customer - you will like this stuff! go to their web site and find out more about it... http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc andy
Old 09-14-03, 08:52 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Default Clear Bra

Originally posted by bugeyes
JRB, count me in on the "clear bra" , would appreciate any info on this.
We used the same guy for the RX330 as I did for my FX45. However he is local (MInneapolis area) so you would probably have to find your own clear bra installer. His $139 cost for the RX was about one-third of what the dealer quoted me at delivery. I referred my brother to him, and he had excellent results on his '87 Mercedes SL.

I would suggest asking for references in your area when choosing someone to do the work. Start at a premium body shop that specializes in expensive foreign cars - their customers are very finicky. The custom installations, where you choose which areas of the car to protect, is a real art form and is best not left to rookies.
Old 09-16-03, 08:58 PM
Skip
Driver

Default Wax

Try Cherry Wet Wax, Just as shinny and much easier to do. Many show car guys use this stuff. Skip