RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Quiet tires - and TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-19, 09:00 AM
LexiRX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Quiet tires - and TPMS

Two parts here -

1. We're in the market for tires now after experiencing badly worn Michelin MXM4 tires after 24k miles. For the first time in decades, I'm not going to buy Michelin again.
With quiet ride being #1 - I've narrowed it down to Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus (Sams' Club special order) - but because the car also needs an alignment and a new set of TPMS to get the light off in the dash - I'm considering a local tire store who doesn't sell Bridgestone - but is suggesting Yokohama Tornante tires. This is like buying from a mattress store - it's a fake model name made for that chain only so no way to price shop them and almost no online reviews to find out if they are noisy or poor performers. Of course I can always do the alignment anywhere - but the new TPMS they are offering is just $13/wheel installed - a bargain when I compare around and would probably cost much more to do on it's own at a shop.

(I also looked seriously at the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring - but saw reports of wearing out fast)

2. TPMS - AFAIK there is 100% no way to disable it and get the light to go out - but wish there were so if anyone knows - please share! Also - is there any way at all to tell which one fails if one goes out? Replacing one at a time playing "battleship" hoping to get a hit seems really dumb.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance...
Old 09-21-19, 01:05 PM
TrueTexan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the Assurance ComforTred Touring for about 2-3 years now and love them. They are super quiet on the road. However, I didn't do right by them and have them rotated regularly, so yes, they have more wear than they would otherwise. I will get them again when the time comes, and this time, do regular rotate/balance. I will mention too, that ALL sets of tires we bought from Goodyear have the TPMS issue.
Old 09-21-19, 03:03 PM
LexiRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by TrueTexan
I've had the Assurance ComforTred Touring for about 2-3 years now and love them. They are super quiet on the road. However, I didn't do right by them and have them rotated regularly, so yes, they have more wear than they would otherwise. I will get them again when the time comes, and this time, do regular rotate/balance. I will mention too, that ALL sets of tires we bought from Goodyear have the TPMS issue.
Thanks - yes I heard the Goodyear were decent but just wore faster than average (even when rotated).

The TPMS issue has nothing to do with tires as far as I'm aware. It's a measuring device mounted on the inside of the valve stem - on the inside of the wheel - before a tire is even put on.
The batteries in them die - or they just fail and need replacing. The RX 350 is really bad because you don't know which one (or more) have failed so when one goes bad it's time to replace them all. If you were changing your own wheels and tires you could play around changing batteries and testing different ones but when a mechanic is on the clock it's just cheaper to replace. Interestingly - I got a very low quote for replacements if also buying a set of tires. I've called around and found that most places want $50-$100 PER WHEEL to replace them on existing tires/wheels. Outrageous. I can only imagine what the dealer would charge! Wish there were a way to override.
Old 09-21-19, 03:59 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 252 Posts

Did you go to Yokohoma's website and read the reviews? I don't think I would get them. Out of 27 reviews, 9 said they were garbage, 2 more said slightly better than garbage. That's 40% thumbs down. I don't think I would get them. https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/tornante

There is a lot of misinformation about TPMS sensor/transmitter mounted in the wheel.

A bad sensor can be tracked down to the specific culprit. But you need test equipment to do it. If you have Toyota Techstream, you can do it. The tire stores have a small handheld radio receiver that they go around to each tire with. They hold it by the valve stem and find out if it is transmitting. Most tire stores will do this for free.

The sensors are powered by a battery that is epoxied into the sensor, so it is not really practical to replace it. Yes, people have done it, but the effort to do so seems way out of line for what it costs to replace it. There have been several threads here on clublexus by those who have done so.

To replace a sensor, the tire has to be broken loose from the rim, places charge $50 + to do it. If you are having the tires replaced at the same time, I would sure hope they only charge for the sensor.

If you replace a TPMS sensor, you have to register it with the car's computer, most likely the TPMS ECU. Otherwise it is not recognized by the car. You need something like Toyota Techstream for this.

Don't forget that the spare tire has a sensor. Make sure the air pressure is OK in it. Also, check that the button in the glovebox has not been accidentally changed to tire set # 2.
Old 09-21-19, 04:43 PM
tomr51
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

cooper are great very quiet, long mileage and handle great
Old 09-21-19, 06:05 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by LexiRX

2. TPMS - AFAIK there is 100% no way to disable it and get the light to go out - but wish there were so if anyone knows - please share! Also - is there any way at all to tell which one fails if one goes out? Replacing one at a time playing "battleship" hoping to get a hit seems really dumb.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance...
As to your question about tires, we are about to turn over 250,000 miles on our RX330 and (so far), haven't found one set of tires that have made it past 40k. The MXV4s were the worst. The ComforTred made it to about 35k and the tire was quiet, so I wouldn't discount it.

For the TPMS, what year and model is your RX? The 330 and 350 utilize different approaches with respect to the TPMS functionality.
Old 09-22-19, 05:17 AM
LexiRX
Rookie

Thanks Dennis for spotting those reviews...I didn't think to look on Yokohama's website and I'm actually surprised they have allowed such negative reviews to stay posted! Also the extra TPMS info - very helpful. Good to know they actually can find one bad sensor with the right tool - It still almost makes sense to replace them all when the tires are changed just due to the insane cost of doing them one at a time later - especially on a 2009 where the batteries are all likely going to die (or are already dead)

Tom - thanks - we hadn't been looking at Coopers but will check.

CD - mentioned above, we have an RX350 did 2nd generation TPMS change from year to year? Ours is 2009. Interesting you've not seen any tire make it past 40k - that;'s still a lot better than the 24K we got out of our Michelins though will take another look at the ComforTred - a BIG part of what I would like is quiet. Thanks!

One last note - I did some searching around and found out that Sams' Club will replace TPMS - I was concerned they wouldn't have the tech or the parts...but they do so this is a great option.

Last edited by LexiRX; 09-22-19 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-22-19, 05:54 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I can't say enough about the Michelins- i love most models and have never been let down by the ones i've had.
As to wear: are you sure your car is aligned properly? I agree , 24k is too low but i gotta think there is an underlying reason other than tire quality. Assuming you're not taking it to Watkin's Glen every weekend.
Old 09-22-19, 06:14 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by LexiRX
CD - mentioned above, we have an RX350 did 2nd generation TPMS change from year to year? Ours is 2009. Interesting you've not seen any tire make it past 40k - that;'s still a lot better than the 24K we got out of our Michelins though will take another look at the ComforTred - a BIG part of what I would like is quiet. Thanks!
I don't know of any differences other than the fact that the RX350 uses an active or direct TPMS whereas the RX330 uses the wheel sensors to monitor difference in rotational speed.

For an additional tire option, take a look at reviews for the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. I can't speak to the long-term wear; however, at 8,500 miles, they are wearing very well on our 330. YMMV.
Old 09-22-19, 12:42 PM
mylexbaby
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cdnewton
As to your question about tires, we are about to turn over 250,000 miles on our RX330 and (so far), haven't found one set of tires that have made it past 40k. The MXV4s were the worst. The ComforTred made it to about 35k and the tire was quiet, so I wouldn't discount it.

For the TPMS, what year and model is your RX? The 330 and 350 utilize different approaches with respect to the TPMS functionality.
Thanks for sharing that! -- near identical case with about 120K in our 330 and this helps me not blame driving style
Old 09-23-19, 04:43 AM
jeremy93ls
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To replace a sensor, the tire has to be broken loose from the rim, places charge $50 + to do it. If you are having the tires replaced at the same time, I would sure hope they only charge for the sensor.
I like to locate the used tire shops around the outskirts of town. My current guy will replace and balance a tire for $15. Just had one replaced on my RX last week.

I haven't seen any mention of the BF Goodrich Advantage TA Sport in 225/55/18. I love the aggressive look of the sidewalls (looks much better in person). I ordered one from Tire Rack for about $180 shipped. Of course, I can't speak for the longevity of these yet, but the reviews made it too good to pass up.
Old 09-23-19, 05:39 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

If you are a Costco member, suggest utilize the Tire shop. Get a decent set put in, best price (use current promo discount) with new TPMS sensors, then bring over to an alignment shop for the final adjustment. Good luck.
Old 09-24-19, 03:08 PM
LexiRX
Rookie

Thanks all - we have Sams Club who offer many more tires than Costco - I'll order them online and then go in. I just need to see if I can talk them in to replacing the TPMS in my full size spare at the same time. Maybe if I have it out and sitting in back they won't mind though we aren't buying a new tire for that one so they may not be allowed to do it. With the Goodyear discount $80 off of Assurance ComforTred Touring they come out to just under $140 less than the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus so figuring that's what we'll end up doing.

I got a 10% off the tire chain store today but they still come out to more because they charge $30/wheel installation for the extra "premium" services support. Once we have them will comment again on noise.
Old 09-29-19, 10:47 AM
ghernz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continental contract sport lx25

So I just got a 07 rx350. The old tires were Bridgestone and were making terrible road noise. I just replaced them with Continental contract sport lx25. I also had low tire light on, Discount tire recommend to replace all 5 of them cause they are over 10 yrs old ($40 each).

My daughter has 07 MDX and I put the same tires on. She has less than 10k miles and have been pretty good. My wife’s new Q5 came with the same tires. She also has just over 10k miles.

I service my daughters cars and will have tires rotated every 5000-8000 miles. These tires are rated for 70k miles. I will be happy if we can get 40k miles out of them.

If you haven’t got new tires yet check them out and definitely get new sensors if they are over 10 yrs old.

My bill with everything included was just under $1200 for 4 tires and 5 sensors. This included road hazard and tax.
Old 10-03-19, 10:07 AM
LexiRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by tomr51
cooper are great very quiet, long mileage and handle great
I'm back looking again as it turns out Sams Club didn't have the Goodyear Comforttreds in inventory - and somehow the price went up to $193 as well (for something they can't sell us!). Cooper Evolution Tour are $138 ea which saves a good deal. ($150 less than the Goodyears after the GY rebate) It might be a good stop gap measure as we're thinking about getting a newer car eventually anyway. No rebates on Bridgestone Turanza Serenity making a set of them over $250 more than the Coopers.

I really hope the are quiet - that's my main thing with tires....

Quick Reply: Quiet tires - and TPMS