RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Is this the end of the road for our beloved RX 330?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-19, 09:13 PM
infotime
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Is this the end of the road for our beloved RX 330?

This might be the end of the road for our beloved 2004 RX 330.

AC
The immediate issue is the AC. The evaporator has a slow leak. Diagnosed by our local Lexus dealer. Quoted repair cost of $2,950 parts, labor and tax.

Power Steering
Last winter the power steering system would make a lot of noise when it was cold outside and the engine was still warming up. The noise was stopped by a bottle of Bar's Leaks Power Steering Repair fluid, and then essentially forgotten about. This was about 9 months ago.

Dashboard
The dashboard has the hideous cracks and problems that plague this vehicle series. Found out about the extended warranty too late. Have researched all the options and avenues and remedies to make it better.

We're at 151,000 miles. Car is otherwise in decent shape for it's age and we had hoped to keep it going for a couple more years. We've had it for 9 years.

BUT, the AC is something we really don't want to put off any longer. Even though winter is right around the corner and there's only a few days of hot weather left I think it needs to be fixed. One because AC is needed for defrost or defog operations. And two because I've been told that if the pressure in the system stays low you could be looking at further issues with internal AC system condensation and corrosion.

So, we figured if we're going to pay for all that labor to completely remove the dash and replace the evaporator we should go ahead and put a new dashboard in. Now instead of $2,950 we're at $3,825.

We were about to proceed with the evaporator and new dash, then got to thinking about what else we might face, and then remembered the power steering

Before we took the shortcut with the Bar's repair fluid we were told by one shop that we should replace the pump and the pinion gear (or something, forget what they called it now). We asked our dealer about that repair and was told the ballpark price for that is about $2,500. There is some fluid dripping on the floor of the garage. Not sure if it's oil or power steering fluid. But something's leaking. The dealer has the car right now and will go through it more thoroughly on Monday (it's Saturday night right now).

Facing possibly $6,325 in repairs on a 15 year old car. Is it time?
Old 09-28-19, 09:29 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Have you gotten a quote from a few shops? I ask since its a 15 year old car, so its probably finished the warranty period 4 times over and no longer required to be serviced at a dealer.

Unless your vehicle is a one off, it should probably share parts off a toyota, so most shops are not venturing into fancy gizmos.

The highest is probably your local Lexus dealer. Check a toyota dealership if they will work on your car (most will since its the same parent mfg). Then get some quotes from some other local shops to see where your at.

Im sure it would be less then 7k theyre quoting you currently.
The following 2 users liked this post by coolsaber:
infotime (09-28-19), tomr51 (09-28-19)
Old 09-28-19, 10:19 PM
infotime
Driver School Candidate

That's a really good point. I'm not a customer of the Lexus dealer service center. Most of the work I've had done has been by an independent, one man shop. Ended up with local Lexus dealer as I was told that they might be competitive on price and I was encouraged that they'd have the experience and expertise to correctly diagnose and fix the AC. I did make one call today to a place that specializes in AC repair, but it's Saturday and haven't heard back. I'm going to check around Monday and see what other options and prices I can find for the repair.

Two follow up questions:

1) Would you consider it a good idea to put in a new dashboard if you're replacing the evaporator?

2) How long could I expect to get by with the power steering slow leak?
Old 09-29-19, 10:07 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

1) Have you reached out to Lexus to see if they can do a onetime good will repair on the dashboard. Have heard this happens to a select few
2) I cant help you on that, but to be honest if you get anything done, get the steering wheel leak fixed asap. You can live without AC or cracked dashes, but PS failure is no joke.
The following users liked this post:
infotime (09-29-19)
Old 09-29-19, 10:10 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Also price out certain parts from different etailers.

Lexus Toyota Parts direct
Rockauto
Amazon
Advance/Zone/Pepboy/Oreily/Summit

You`ll at least know whats the parts cost vs labor.
infotime (09-29-19)
Old 09-30-19, 05:49 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Take it to trusted Toyota Certified non-Dealer repair shop. Your labor cost will be lower and then purchase the parts yourself and supply to the shop. Savings and reliable repair. Start investigating around your place, ask for recommendations from your friends and neighbors.
infotime (09-30-19)
Old 09-30-19, 07:24 AM
infotime
Driver School Candidate

Just talked to the service advisor. In addition to the AC evaporator...

Repair items
  • Catalytic converter - $2,000 - will need to be replaced in the near future, 1 week to 1 year. If not could cause engine damage. Will notice a lack of power and or CEL will start flashing, when it gets bad. I asked if anyone has been known to just remove it and bypass, he said it wasn't easy. My state has no required inspections.
  • Valve cover gaskets - $1,000 - slow leak. Not pressing or immediate need, just need to keep an eye on oil levels and be OK with a little leak, drip.
  • Power steering rack - $2,500 - slow leak, no immediate need to repair
Maintenance items
  • Rear brakes - $600 - rotors at 2mil and 3mil, should be done right away
  • Tires - 2/32 3/32 4/32 and 4/32
Old 09-30-19, 08:09 AM
infotime
Driver School Candidate

What a difference one phone call can make. A friend who is very car savvy referred me to a shop he uses and trusts.
  • AC Evaporator - $940 parts and labor, out the door
  • Dashboard - can put in replacement dash if he can find one, not sure if they're available, or an aftermarket cover
  • Catalytic converter - didn't think it was necessary to replace unless it got really bad and effected performance, didn't agree that it could cause damage
  • Valve cover gaskets - $385
  • Power Steering rack and pinion - $1,447. (Again, not really needed right now)
The following 3 users liked this post by infotime:
coolsaber (09-30-19), mspearl95 (09-30-19), mylexbaby (09-30-19)
Old 10-01-19, 06:21 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by infotime
What a difference one phone call can make. A friend who is very car savvy referred me to a shop he uses and trusts.
  • AC Evaporator - $940 parts and labor, out the door
  • Dashboard - can put in replacement dash if he can find one, not sure if they're available, or an aftermarket cover
  • Catalytic converter - didn't think it was necessary to replace unless it got really bad and effected performance, didn't agree that it could cause damage
  • Valve cover gaskets - $385
  • Power Steering rack and pinion - $1,447. (Again, not really needed right now)
Personally I wouldn't spend $2800 to get all these fixed, when the car is worth $6-7K max.
If I was in the same position, I would just get the AC fix, cannot live without AC here in CA.
Get a dashmat to cover up the dash cracks. For the valve cover gaskets, try use mobil 1 high mileage oil, it helped on my wife's RX350 which has a slow seep for a few years before my mechanic replaced the gaskets while he was replacing the spark plugs/3 rear coils.

Good luck.
17 ES350 (mine)
08 RX350 AWD (wife's) 133K miles
infotime (10-01-19)
Old 10-01-19, 07:15 PM
infotime
Driver School Candidate

The heat will be over here in a few days, so the need for AC practically non existent until next summer. What are the downsides to leaving the AC as is?
Old 10-01-19, 08:20 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by infotime
The heat will be over here in a few days, so the need for AC practically non existent until next summer. What are the downsides to leaving the AC as is?
it may take longer to defrost in the winter.
Old 10-01-19, 08:27 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Yep, the defrost function is even more important in the winter for the front winshield. The ac helps get rid of the moisture.
Old 12-13-19, 05:10 AM
Jared96
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you end up keeping the RX??