RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

laser cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-03, 06:44 PM
techlover
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up laser cruise control

i have used my rx 330 laser cruise control about 3 weeks now and wanted to let the group know how much i like it. it works nicely and i have gone already 80 miles on the interstate without either pressing the gas pedal or the brake pedal. it works that well although it was spooky at first to see my car brake without me applying the pedal. it only does this when someone slows up in front of you and your car cannot slow down fast enough by just shutting down the gas. if this happens abruptly, as if someone swerves in front of you, an alarm will sound while the brakes are being applied to ensure that you are paying attention so that you can decide if the situation requires input on your part. i find this input is required rarely but you do need to pay attention to the conditions around you for safety. the only downside to this laser cruise control is when i get close to home and have to start using the gas and brake pedal again,my right foot seems to rebel at first!!!!!! andy
Old 08-21-03, 08:28 PM
EvilStan
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Sounds great! Now if you could only get the steering to work automatically then you could just take a nap!
Old 08-21-03, 08:41 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

I really enjoy it too - I usually just set the cruise at a high MPH (like 80) and whenever someone is in front of me I automatically keep pace with them, then if they move away or change lanes it automatically speeds up again until I come up on another vehicle or someone cuts in front of me, then it automatically backs me off and keeps pace again. It's GENIUS!
Old 08-21-03, 09:33 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Just curious as we don't have this option: how close do you have to be to the car ahead of you before the system can "lock on" and maintain that distance when you activate it? For example, if you a quarter mile behind the car ahead, would it function and maintain that distance? Also does the minimum separation depend at all on the speed you are going? (i.e. at 30 mph will it allow you to maintain a closer distance than it would at 75 mph?).
Old 08-21-03, 09:37 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

JRB

actually the Adaptive Laser Cruise Control system comes with a "distance" button that allows you to set the distance sensitivity (the closeness of the object in front of you) regardless of the speed your traveling. So in essence you can have the system react when your one car length behind or 5 car lengths (approx) I believe there are 4 distance settings. I've never tried it at city speeds - I've only used it for highway driving.

Last edited by jeffknet; 08-21-03 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-22-03, 07:05 PM
lestat6009
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know if you can add the laser cruise control after you have purchased the car or is it only a factory installed item?
Old 08-25-03, 03:33 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

man would be nice if they gave the option to upgrade all rx300s cruise controls to the laser control

you hear me lexus, COMPLIMENTRY LASER CRUISE CONTROL UPGRADES for being a outstand lexus customer

:P:
Old 08-26-03, 01:13 PM
amontgom
Driver School Candidate

Default Laser Cruise

I have had my RX330 for one month now, and I've used the laser cruise quite a bit. You do not have to have another vehicle in front of you in order to set the cruise. Just accelerate to the speed you prefer and set the device. There are three settings for the distance, and you can easily switch between them when driving.

I also experienced a driver abruptly cutting in front of me while using laser cruise. I heard several warning beeps, and felt the brake being applied (probably quicker than my reaction would have been!). What a weird experience!

Incidentally, if you do not want to use the "laser" and only want to use normal cruise, you also have this option by selecting the regular mode.

Andi
Old 09-01-03, 06:54 AM
HiTechRX
Driver School Candidate

We're in full agreement that the Dynamic Laser Cruise Control system works as advertised. You can select the intelligent laser mode, or the standard cruise control. You get an additional LCD display in the instrument cluster that shows your set speed, and a graphic indicating the distance selected (three modes), and finally a car icon indicator that tells you a car in front is "in range". The system lets off the gas to attempt to match speed, and if the car in front is too slow, the RX330 applies the brakes. As mentioned above, in a driver-cuts-you-off situation, the RX330 performs emergency braking, and sounds an alarm... haven't had the pleasure of that one yet.

If you do a lot of highway driving, I'd recommend the option.

- HiTechRX