RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Cannot open rear hatch (liftgate) at all – jammed release mechanism? 2008 RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-19, 12:37 PM
tawm
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cannot open rear hatch (liftgate) at all – jammed release mechanism? 2008 RX 350

After vacuuming out my RX and wiping the rear hatch seal with dry paper towel (to get some sand out), the rear hatch won’t open. Two beeps sound, and I can hear the latch mechanism moving in two sequences (sounds like it tries to release, then a few seconds later re-latches), but the rear hatch door WILL NOT POP OUT OR RELEASE at all. I can’t pull it open, or push it from inside AT ALL. Same problem whether I use the remote fob, dashboard button or rear hatch outside release button. The glove box button is correct. One thing that’s changed is the outside temps have dropped markedly, although the RX is garaged. The struts had some rust on the outside, but gave no problems.

My guess is the actual latch hook is jammed somehow. Can anyone suggest how can I open the door / check the mechanism, please? Anyone encounter a similar situation? Going to the dealer would be the last resort...and they’d probably want to replace the whole hatch….

Thanks, 2008 RX 350.
Old 10-19-19, 02:54 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 289 Likes on 250 Posts

Here is something to try. From inside ther car, look at the hatch, down by the floor in the center. There is a small rectangular cover in the trim panel. See photo 1.

Get a flat blade screwdriver and pop that cover off. Pry from the top or the bottom. It is made from a thin, very flexible plastic, so don't panic when it starts to bend. The opening in the trim panel has a small cutout at the top, so I think that is the so called proper spot for prying off. The cover piece has catch tabs on 3 of the 4 sides. I popped mine out and found this out afterwards when I picked it up off the ground. See if you can pry the cover off carefully and let me know whether the blank side of the cover piece without the finger goes up or down. See photo 2.

Looking inside the opening, you will see a half inch wide piece of metal sticking out in the center towards you. Use the screwdriver and pust his piece of metal towards the left (the passenger side) and the latch should pop release. see ptoto 3.

Hopefully you will be able to push the hatch open now.

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3
The following 2 users liked this post by DennisMik:
BlackLexRX (10-19-19), tawm (10-19-19)
Old 10-19-19, 05:51 PM
tawm
Driver

MANY thanks, Dennis. I will grab a screwdriver and try it tomorrow!
Old 10-21-19, 09:55 AM
tawm
Driver

Default Possible shiv / car parts thief?

Hi Dennis. I tried your suggestion, thank you.

1) To answer your question, The bottom side of the insert has no tab, as pictured. No tab goes into the bottom on the door panel. Photo 1 also shows latch lever on left closed, before using a screwdriver to push left on the metal tab.

2) I was able to slide the metal tab to the left, which released a latch lever on the left, BUT the door is still jammed shut. Photo 2 shows the latch lever on left released.

Shows release lever on left moved to the left

3) I tried both the power button and the manual release, but cannot budge the door. The power lift cycle seem to move the door a centimeter or so Up, but no more. I hear the release and left mechanisms working, but they quit / reset within a second or two. That rear door seems really STUCK, but I cannot see anything stuck in the door jam.

4) but when I parked the car outside to get a good look in bright sunlight, I noticed something new-looks like a shiv was stuck into one of the lights on the rear door?! Maybe a car parts thief was trying to pop out my lights, or otherwise get into the car and really f$&#€d up the door release mechanism. Really upsetting, especially if I have to go to the dealer.

Anyone experienced with car parts thieves ? Does this look like a shiv ? Are Lexus light modules commonly stolen?

Any comments suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-21-19, 01:59 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Thank you for letting me know about that plastic cover. It will go on either way but it does seem to fit better as you described it.

However, your problem gets weirder by the minute. When you mentioned someone trying to shiv the tail light, I initially thought that maybe they had somehow managed to bend pieces that somehow hooked together like a lock. But when I got on my other computer and saw your photos, I don't see how that could be possible. But looking at your photo and comparing it to my 2007, it looks like they punched through the metal right below the tail light. Is this correct? Still, I can't see that being the cause of the problem.

As I looked at my car, I looked at taking off the latch mechanism on the bottom. You can't do it unless you have the hatch open. There are 2 bolts that have to come out from the outside bottom. I figure that removing the mechanism is probably no different than what you have all ready done anyway.

I removed the lower half of the hatch trim panel to look inside. Of course I am doing this with the hatch open, but it could be done with the hatch closed. The trim piece pulls straight forward from the hatch itself. A - the only challenge would be to get a good enough grip on it. B - You probably couldn't get it back on without the hatch being open. The reason is that this trim piece has a lip that fits under the top piece. Removing it without having the top piece off requires you to tilt the bottom edge out because of that lip. It comes off OK, but when trying to reinstall it, you need to use a long screwdriver to push the two upper snaps into position. With the hatch closed, you can't do it. I suppose you can take the upper trim piece off, but overall I don't think there is anything to be gained by removing the trim.

I looked at what it might take to remove the hatch from the car. It seems somewhat simple at first glance but I am pretty sure in reality it would be relatively difficult. Because the hatch won't open, you would have to unbolt the hinges from the roof. To do that, you would have to remove the headliner in the car. Major job.

The only other thing I can think of BSI - Brute Strength and Ignorance. Since the hatch seems to unlatch and move a small amount, Perhaps you can wedge yourself in the cargo area with the rear seats up. With your back to the rear seats, push with your feet as hard as you can on the bottom edge of the hatch at the instant the hatch tries to open. anything from forcing the hatch open to breaking the power open mechanism could happen.
Old 10-22-19, 06:00 AM
tawm
Driver

Thanks Dennis. I tried pushing the rear door open from the inside when I thought the latch mechanism was open, but was afraid I’d break the interior panel. Door wouldn’t budge. Perhaps the latch mechanism got bent / damaged by someone trying to jimmy the door open, although I can’t see any obvious signs of that. I will think about it for a few days and if nothing else comes up, may have to go to dealer and insist: 1) I tell the mechanic directly everything I’ve tried, and 2) watch him work on it to ensure no further damage (“sorry, you need a new door”). Very frustrating.
Old 10-22-19, 01:47 PM
tomr51
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts

have you tried pushing in from the outside, and then operate the switch with the door pushed in hard?
Old 10-22-19, 05:00 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Originally Posted by tawm
I tried pushing the rear door open from the inside when I thought the latch mechanism was open, but was afraid I’d break the interior panel.
The trim panel is flat against the inside of the hatch that is almost a solid panel of metal. There a openings in the panel to get at various components but they are relatively small compared to your foot. The opening to get to the latch mechanism is the largest, so don't push directly in the center of the trim panel or push right next to the floor and you don't have to worry about damaging the trim panel. You could use a 3 foot length of 1x4 or 2x4 lumber to distribute the pressure if you are still concerned.

may have to go to dealer and insist: 1) I tell the mechanic directly everything I’ve tried, and 2) watch him work on it to ensure no further damage (“sorry, you need a new door”).
Call me a pessimist. Getting to talk to the mechanic that will work on your car and then be able to watch him as he works doesn't seem that likely. But maybe you are much better at persuading people than me.

Old 10-23-19, 07:35 AM
tawm
Driver

Thanks Tomr51. Yes, I did try pushing from the outside in, while pushing the remote release, and also the manual release button, but to no avail. Moreover, from the outside, the door doesn’t appear to move in or out at all when the internal mechanism is making noise.
Old 10-23-19, 12:33 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Long shot, unhook the battery, wait for a minute and re-hook. Hopefully it re-sets something, good luck.
Old 10-24-19, 06:47 AM
tawm
Driver

Thanks Dennis. Your photos are really helpful to see where pressure can be applied to the interior panel. It really feels like the latch itself is jammed somehow, even though I can hear / see the latch release mechanism moving.

Thank you as well Mandy. I might try that, but it doesn’t seem like an electrical issue; rather something mechanical. Bizarre.

I sincerely appreciate everyone’s interest, suggestions and support!
Old 10-24-19, 06:54 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I hope the battery re-set will give you the LATCH back.
The following users liked this post:
tawm (10-24-19)
Old 10-24-19, 01:23 PM
tomr51
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts

can you get a plastic ruler or similar in the space between the boot lid and the car body and pull it all the way around. Maybe something is jammed in from they tried to break into the car.
Old 10-25-19, 05:45 AM
tawm
Driver

Thanks Tom51, will try it when I get back from attending a work conference - traveling via Amtrak.
I appreciate everyone’s time and thoughts.
Old 10-27-19, 06:14 PM
DennisMik
Racer

The power lift cycle seem to move the door a centimeter or so Up, but no more. I hear the release and left mechanisms working, but they quit / reset within a second or two.
It really feels like the latch itself is jammed somehow, even though I can hear / see the latch release mechanism moving.
Your statement of the hatch moving up a centimeter and then going back down has me believing that the latch is opening and the motor is trying to raise the door. When the latch is latched (closed) you don't get very much play, if any. We would be talking thousandths of an inch. If you had a centimeter of play, the hatch would be bouncing around. The hood latch is the same type of mechanism as the hatch if you want to see the mechanism more closely.

I'm wondering if the motor for opening & closing the hatch has destroyed its gears and is jamming. I'll have to look at my car and see if it would be possible to access the lifting motor's arm where it attaches to the hatch and unbolt it while the hatch is closed.

Quick Reply: Cannot open rear hatch (liftgate) at all – jammed release mechanism? 2008 RX 350